Returning to Work Tomorrow

Hi All,

I’m returning to work tomorrow, part time for 2-4 weeks. I had a clipping procedure completed on 3/31 and now it’s time to get back to work. My surgery was successful and I’ve been improving nicely over the last 8 weeks. I wanted to reach out because I am concerned about my energy levels and mental resiliency, both short term and long. I remind myself to stay positive and active, but I get worn out physically and drained emotionally after 30-60 minutes of interaction.

I am a Sales Manager and have a stressful job that requires regular social interaction. My employer has been nothing short of amazing in terms of support and understanding. Thank god for that. I just wonder if I will be able to be as effective and satisfied as I was prior to my aneurysm clipping. I want to exceed goals and enjoy my career.

Guess I’m just quite jittery on the eve prior to my return to work. If anyone has any pointers from their experience, I’d love to hear them.

As always, thanks to everyone here that has been a support to me and my family through this process. It’s been a ride.

Hope all is well. Keith

2 Likes

Sure you can be just as effective and achieve more than you ever have before. Give yourself a few weeks to get up to speed but go be your best. Your energy level will improve over time. I am 5 years out of my clipping procedure ( 2nd aneurysm ) and 13 years out of a ruptured aneurysm. I have grown my career and achieved more than I ever thought I would. I work at a large health care system and supervise 6 analysts supporting the EMR system. Love my job and my life. You can do it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@KMG
Hi, I just wanted to wish you good luck when you return to your work tomorrow. I guess you will be tired when you get home, take a nap, go for a walk and rewind. I’m retired myself so I didn’t have to go back to work after my SAH rupture seven months ago, I had a second surgery in mid April with a stent and more coils. I’m trying to regain my life, things that makes me extremely tired one week is perfectly fine the next. Look at the improvements you make overtime. Don’t worry too much, one day at a time. Please let us know how it goes.
Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

@KMG i agree with our members Keith. You would be amazed at how many of our members returned to work and/or completed their upper levels of education. I am positive you will do whatever you set your mind to do! The first weeks may be exhausting, but hang in there. Just do short goals at first. If the folks under you start whining, shut your door and take 15 min to relax and breathe

All the best
Moltroub

1 Like

Hi Keith,
I was also a Sales Manager/Director and I went back to work after 13 weeks. The biggest issue I had was all of the travel. I covered 9 states with 8 reps and I had to fly to get to most of them. We were launching a biologic for atopic dermatitis and the pressure was on! My boss was understanding, but the travel was not good. I would come home and basically sleep the entire weekend. If I did not have to travel, I do think it would have been much easier. Also, I wish I would have spoken up more. Being a female in a leadership position, I think most of us feel we have to prove ourselves. Which is really stupid, but it’s also a reality. I know how intimidated you must feel. I really would like for you to be your own advocate. If you don’t want to do something or can’t, please don’t. Your company, by law, cannot terminate you are put you on a PIP due to an illness. Have you checked in with HR?

I do think you will perform splendidly, but I do want you to take care of yourself first! Having a team of people under you is really not the same as just showing up for work every day. Please let me know if you want to talk offline. I also had a craniotomy for an unruptured aneurysm (2016).

Kim

2 Likes

Just wanting to say very best wishes for the return to work. I am somewhat awe struck that you have the capacity to give it a go so soon. That’s a blessing. Just be kind to yourself and really listen to your brain’s signals. I have found that pushing through and ignoring my brain telling me it’s had enough is a really bad idea. Take good care.

3 Likes

Hi Keith

I think part-time is appropriate. You may still get easily tired. In the several weeks after surgery, I found that people talking excessively to me was wiping me out. My surgeon felt that it was emotional fatigue. Maybe he was right. For me it took between 3-6 months before I felt normal. My NP commented to me that in 1 yr this will be a memory, and I remember thinking I hope she is right. She was for the most part.

Good luck :hugs:

3 Likes

I also had a surgical clipping and return to work two months afterwards. I found it difficult to look at a computer for a long period of time. I would suggest blue reflective lenses for computer work that will help a lot. Use eye drops frequently. Keep very very hydrated throughout the day, lots of water! Take many breaks throughout the day, being outside is truly refreshing for my head. Ironically I feel the best after a bike ride. Please take your time and don’t push yourself. It takes time to heal it’s been three years for me and I finally feel like I have my stamina back. Good luck to you!

1 Like

@debmaki is giving great advise to all of us with hydration, eye drops and controlling the blue light IMHO. Many electronic devices have a feature built in called night or dark mode. Another thing to do is simply turn the brightness down. Besides the glasses, there are screen protectors of all types and price points available now for all our gadgets. And don’t forget the 20/20/20 rule (every 20 minutes look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds)

Thanks again for the reminders @debmaki !
Moltroub

1 Like