Clipping for aneurysm done on Thursday

Well, I had two annies treated three years ago and that left a small PCOM 2x 3 mm. The decision initially was to wait and watch, we did that but then started to see growth. Went to Mayo Clinic to see if it could be coiled however the type and position of the aneurysm did not make it possible which meant for craniotomy and clipping of the aneurysm. During the procedure the wall of the aneurysm were so thin and frail it ruptured. Again I was in the best possible situation with being in the OR with one of the best NS in the US and he was able to take care of it right away. I have to admit I didn't think I was going to have such a big surgery, I was looking to get back to work and home. Can I ask those of you who have had clippings what the average time you took off from work?

Hi Christine,
Glad to hear your surgery went well. I went back to work 7 weeks after my surgery, and kept a modified schedule until I felt I was ready to go back to 40 hours a week. I also wasn’t expecting to be out of work that long, but I wanted to let myself heal for as long as possible without the added stress of work.

Good luck, and I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

-Caitlin

HI Caitlin, Good to know. I think I will be out for about two months barring no complications. I have to take half pay but oh well. I see my doc tomorrow and hope he supports being out for at least two months. Did you have a clipping as well? Christine

Hello Christine, welcome to the recovery period. My case is a little bit different, I began a semi retirement after my craniotomy and didn't return to work for 6 months. I also had some other health issues to take care of. I experienced a period of anxiety ànd insomnia, and needed to deal with that before I could return to work. I guess I would caution you to be aware of your mental state, and do what is necessary to recuperate. Do you have a short term disability plan available?

Hi JT,

I have 50% pay for 26 weeks. I have decided, due to the fact that I have had three aneurysms treated in two years, I am almost 64 years old and enough is enough to find for SSD. I will hire a lawyer. I can't see me going back to work with the hypertention issues I have which case more aneurysms. I had a clipping done a week ago yesterday and the aneurysm ruptured during the clipping. I am so glad to be home with my family I never want to go through anything like that again. I have headaches which I am sure are normal now, How long do they last? I also experience insomnia and anxiety. I want to just sit by the river and fish

I just turned 64 this week, and fortunately I only need part time work, for the time being. I am a horticultural research technician and the work can be strenuous, but I am very careful. I experienced headaches for a very short time, probably about a month. Everyone seems to have their own unique side effects. It seemed like I was in good spirits the first month or two, and then the anxiety and insomnia kicked in. Also, around 8 weeks after surgery, I experienced a kind of popping and crackling sensation, the doctor said it was just the healing process for the surgery, but it was very annoying. Only a few people on this site reported that sensation, so again, every situation is unique. I started practicing mindfulness and I also used a sleep tape that Kaiser Permanente produces, and it helped me immensely. Check out the mindfulness and relaxation group on this website. I believe we all go through a form of PTSD, brain surgery can be quite traumatic. I also found that I was way too stressed at my job, hence retirement and opting to work part time. It has made a difference. Have patience, give yourself plenty of time to heal, you deserve it. It does get better. Good luck fishing!
Christine said:

Hi JT,

I have 50% pay for 26 weeks. I have decided, due to the fact that I have had three aneurysms treated in two years, I am almost 64 years old and enough is enough to find for SSD. I will hire a lawyer. I can't see me going back to work with the hypertention issues I have which case more aneurysms. I had a clipping done a week ago yesterday and the aneurysm ruptured during the clipping. I am so glad to be home with my family I never want to go through anything like that again. I have headaches which I am sure are normal now, How long do they last? I also experience insomnia and anxiety. I want to just sit by the river and fish

1 Like

HI JT, Thanks for the response! I know it is different with everyone, I also feel like I may be ready to take an easier rode....we will see

Hi, my husband just had a clipping of a 7.4mm aneurysm Tuesday. We were told he could back to work 6-8 weeks as with any regular surgery, however, how long is it before you are allowed to drive again ?

The neurosurgeon told me 3 weeks if recovery is uneventful

I was able to return to work after nine weeks.

I am now 6 weeks post-op and am taking at least another two weeks off. Then I will go back to work, it will be full time however I teach Nursing and they will not allow me to go to clinical this semester so it will be a lighter load. I am also restarting my doctoral program the same week, so in preparation for that I am doing my own school work ahead of time. If I don't feel ready in two weeks I'll just stay out the rest of the semester and pay out of pocket for my classes. I enjoy teaching and it affords me a much softer schedule than working as an NP in the NICU. I am still too tired to think about it today. I did drive at 3 weeks.

Masterplumber said:

I was able to return to work after nine weeks.To Masterplumber: Just curious, were you able to do plumbing and get down under sinks etc???

Yes, but I mostly manage other plumbers, I started taking long walks four weeks before I was scheduled to go back to work. This helped get my energy and stamina back.

Good to hear you have future plans, remember to keep your options open, there were certainly good days when I really wanted to go back to work, and days when I could hardly drag myself out of bed to do anything. Even working part time, after 6 months off, was difficult to adjust to. But, my job can be very physical and is outdoors in all kinds of weather, and our 20 acre farm needed my care also. Be kind to yourself, and allow what needs to happen to happen. It improves with time. I am now 10 months out and feeling darn good and almost back to normal. Pencil in some time for that fishing trip!

Christine said:

I am now 6 weeks post-op and am taking at least another two weeks off. Then I will go back to work, it will be full time however I teach Nursing and they will not allow me to go to clinical this semester so it will be a lighter load. I am also restarting my doctoral program the same week, so in preparation for that I am doing my own school work ahead of time. If I don't feel ready in two weeks I'll just stay out the rest of the semester and pay out of pocket for my classes. I enjoy teaching and it affords me a much softer schedule than working as an NP in the NICU. I am still too tired to think about it today. I did drive at 3 weeks.

Hi JT, I know it will hit me. I have thought of taking the rest of the semester off, my job is safe until Jan and I could just pay for my own doctoral work out of pocket. (The hospital pays my tuition). That would be my dream. (Not to spend 5k out of pocket, but to just have that work to do and no one else to answer to, to take a rest every day) Hell ya I like that Idea. My colleagues are great and they will understand either way. I am getting old. Many people ask why I don't just retire, and I said and do what?? I actually drank a beer for the first time in 3 months, not a big beer drinker but it was great. Won't touch anything harder, scares me

Christine, your story is so inspirational and so scary, my husband just had surgery on September 13, 2016 and I was so scared that it might rupture as his was elective for 7.4 mm aneurysm in the center of his brain. Good luck with your treatment.

I ask myself the same thing about retirement, but I know that sooner or later I have to make that transition. I am enjoying part time work. I have been so invested in this job for so many years it is difficult to walk away. I dont have grandkids and my son lives a long distance from me. Time to develop hobbies and new interests, I guess. P.S., nothing wrong with a cold brew at the end of the day!

hi JT,

Thanks for continuing to converse with me. I do have a very busy life, I have to trust that my job will work out for now. Why this doctorate is important to me I have no idea. Physically I'd love to take off another 3-4 months. I just started to feel human about2 weeks ago and I come from the era that if you can get up you can go to work. Old habits die hard. Ha. What kind of work do you do? Farming is challenging, I have never done that, I can barely keep a small vegetable garden alive\

I am a horticultural research assistant, I specialize in tree fruit research. Apples, cherry and pear, rootstock, varieties and training systems for the most part. I too was raised with the concept of you are never too sick to work, but as I have grown older, I've modified that expectation. I am 9 months out from my clipping, and feeling pretty darn good. You will feel better and better, but give it time.

I have been out for 7 weeks and going to take one more. This group I am teaching is small and I think doable. I have a great office and all the resources there to do my own school work without too much interruption so it makes sense to give it a try. I'm live only a mile and a half from campus so I can get home quickly if I get tired. I'm sure everyone will just be happy to have another person on board. I can see an improvement every day.!! Oh my son -in -law is a gardener, when he was first learning he planted a cherry blossom tree in front of my house....too close so it has to come down-:( Apple season is here and I LOVE Macouns Can't wait to pick some. Yum!! You must be in a warmer climate than me to have all of the other trees? I live close to Syracuse University's Environmental and Forestry School. They actually plant the trees on my street for the part of the grass that belongs to the city.