Recovery

Hi,

I would like to hear from others about recovery after clipping. The neurosurgeon said 1 night in ICU and 6 days in hospital. How long may I be ‘out’? I will be needing to get back to my business and family ASAP. Without work, we’ll be evicted. I want to be prepared for what may lie ahead. I’m still waiting for my op and could have a few more weeks to wait. Thank you so much in advance for shedding any light. Kat.

I suspect everyone will be different. Did your anerysm rupture? I’m 45 and mine ruptured last month (August 19). I was in hospital for 14 days. My vision is still distorted and I suffer headaches daily. The neurosurgeon has given me until Nov. 15 (3 months)before I can return to work.

Hi Jody,

No - no rupture. Still a ticking time bomb inside my head. K

Hi Kat, I did not have a clipping done, only coiling which is much less invasive and you can go back to work pretty quickly after that... but I suspect that a clipping which involves opening the skull would require a longer recovery.

I wouldn't expect to be back to work for at least a few months. I had endovascular pipeline stent and went back to work after about 7 weeks due to financial reasons. It was too soon. With open head surgery you also have the wound to heal. If your business is not too physical or stressful you may be able to put some time into it after a couple of months but the surgeons really don't anticipate the sheer exhaustion that this surgery creates. Try to get as much rest as you can and don't expect too much of yourself. I hope it all goes well for you.

Kat,

Can you apply for short term disability before you head in for surgery? Also, check with your local town/city halls..some citys/towns can cover your rent for one month due to a medical issue and/or the inability to pay.

I am wishing you all the best. My clipping was after a rupture and I was in ICU for 14 days a regular room for a day.

My recovery was a few months at the minimum.

I had an aneurysm clipped in April 2011. Operated on Wednesday, one night in ICU, one night regular room, discharged Friday. Had stitches out 4 weeks later. Normal time to recover your strength is 6 - 8 weeks. You will be amazed at how tired you will be throughout the day. My annie was near my left eye so my face was bruised and swollen for weeks. Good luck with the surgery.

Hi - thanks for the info. Mine is near my left eye too. I am
Already very tired.

When mine ruptured, I was in a similar situation of not having a choice to keep working. I was in the hospital a week or so and tried to go back to work within 6 weeks. It was very important to prove to myself and others that I hadn't been damaged by the surgery. I can't explain the exhaustion that I felt. Headaches. Irritation with loud noises and bright lights. You can work with a broken leg, but when your brain has been opened up, it's a different kind of adjustment. I had a very understanding employer who cut me some slack and my job involved sitting all day looking at papers in a quiet room. If it involved multitasking, constant phone interruptions, a loud environment, or the need to move around a lot, I know I couldn't have done it. Another consideration is the partially shaved head and wicked looking scar! Everyone is different. Good luck with your recovery.

Kat, all aneurysms and aneurysm patients are different. But please do get it done. One thing that all aneurysms have in common is that you have less than 50% chance of survival if you don't get it fixed and it ruptures. I don't mean to scare you but if you die, you get evicted, too. Hopefully you can find something to take that pressure off of you.

One thing for sure, stress is not good for an aneurysm. Please don't worry about what happens if you get your operation and don't worry about what happens if you don't - because you'll have decided that you will. THe future will work out. Just make sure you're here for it.

Hi Kat....Sounds like you and I have a lot in common....stress. I don't want to scare you, just information for you. My annie ruptured, it almost killed me. I was in ICU for 30 days, and was able to recoup at home watched over by my family for the next 2 months. It takes time for some of us. Because of the rupture I have left over effects, memory, tired, forgetful woops I already said that..lol I get too much stimulation and don't do well, if its too noisy or a lot of people talking, etc...that makes me nuts. Soooo don't be in a hurry to get right back to work. You need time to heal, a surgery on the brain is invasive and you will be tired. Let someone else stress about work, or the roof over your head, sometimes when you do that miracles happen. I am a control freak, and was forced by my annie to let go, let someone help YOU...I am always the healer, helper, Mom, bread winner....Let others help YOU! It did feel good to let go, even if it took a tragedy to get there. Write me anytime....sending you love, light and strength!

Thanks Deb. Can I call or email you? We seem to have a great deal
In common. K

Hi Kat,

I had a rupture clipped. Because it had ruptured I was in hospital for a little longer with stroke risk etc (2 weeks) but I did make a complete recovery. I went straight back to work after a couple more weeks. Your doctor will be the best person to let you know what will happen regarding your recovery as it will depend where it is etc. Just wanted you to know that it's not all doom and gloom :)

Cheers and good luck.

Hi Kat,

I had 2 annie's clipped two years ago. Neither one had ruptured yet but do to the shape of them my neurosurgeon said they would have within a year. Everyone is different but I was in the hospital for the time your neurosurgeon gave you and I went back to work in 5 weeks. I work as a data analyst so it was a bit tough for me for about a year. It was very draining on me to be thinking so hard and I would basically go to bed early each night for awhile. Like you though, I didn't have a choice, had to pay my bills but I was very fortunate that my surgery went so well that I was able to return to work so quickly.

Everyone's different so there's no easy answer.

I know it's hard but just try to stay positive. My prayers and best wishes go out to you ((hugs)).

oh, I do have a word of advice though... be careful of drinking very cold things after your clipping. If you've ever gotten a brain freeze from ice cream or a frappuccino they are like 10x's worse after a clipping....lol!

Hi Kat, I am waiting for a coiling of my unruptured annie and am scheduled for this Monday, the 20th after waiting for 8 months. My neurosurgeon told me me 5-6 hour operation, 2 days in ICU, 5 days in hospital and 2-3 months off of work? I know we are all different and this I probably based on the size, location, of the annie, my age etc. not sure.

It is too bad you can't call the office and at least get some kind of timeframe. My problem now is I have gotten a cold and I don't think they will operate when someone is sick so freaking that it wont be gone by then as I just want it over with.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Brenda :)

My email is ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■, then I will give you my home #. Just don't want to post it here.

OR you can write me on my web site its.....www.theorganicgallery.com

Please write me, I would love to talk to you!

XXX D

Dale, that is great advice! Things ALWAYS work out don;t they. We stress and stress and then we say "Oh that wasn't so bad, it all worked out" Haaaa funny how human beings work.

Hi Kat-

As it has already been said, everyone is different, but here is my experience.

I went in on a Monday morning. My surgery went extremely well with NO complications. I had an issue finding a pain med my body would tolerate (not something new to me) so I was vomiting quite a bit and not able to eat much. Once they were able to find the right pain med, things got better. I was in ICU for 4 days. Would have been out sooner, but they did not have a room on the regular floor for me until Friday. Passed all their "tests" and was released from the hospital on that Saturday.

I know you said that you need to get back to your business and family, but one important thing I learned here, DO NOT RUSH YOUR RECOVERY! Your recovery will take as long as it takes. It you push too hard, you will set yourself back. All the best.

Terri