Questions after Cerebral Angiogram for PEDs

Time for another checkup after initial placements of PEDs in 2015 & 2016. Although have had a few of these in the past, anything new I need to be aware of? Any help appreciated.

1 Like

Hey starbirder! Is your doc going to check with an angiogram or MRA? I haven’t had an angiogram since 2017 I believe it was…I know my doc said they were going through the arm and not the groin, so to expect that on my next one. Angiograms usually set me back by months, the last one did not as they didn’t use as much anesthesia. But I found, and was told, increase protein and hydration.

1 Like

I just had my first angiogram last week. They went through my radial artery. I had “twilight” anesthesia and could hear everything going on in the room. I had a little discomfort in my arm and they upped the drugs a bit. I was 100% within a few hours after.
-mia

1 Like

@mia - Welcome to the family, as morbid as this sounds, the angiogram is the rite of passage into the family. As much as we all experience the frustration and anxiety, we are not alone in this thing. Let us know the results (official size of annie, location of annie, etc.) and what treatment you & your medical team choose, if any.

@starbirder - I have a 6 mo. angiogram coming up in January. I don’t know if there would be any changes other than what type of closure they may use that maybe different since your 2016 checkup. I do know they used Mynx closure for my groin wound for both first angiogram and PED procedure. That’s all I can think of at the moment.

@jammies- Thank you! I have a 9 mm cavernous ICA aneurysm that is both extra- and intra-dural with bone erosion. I’m having the PED this Thursday.

2 Likes

@mia - Sending hugs & prayers for you on Thursday. Take it easy, drink lots of fluids to not only hydrate, but to flush out the contrast dye and anesthesia. Grocery shop before Thursday, make a couple of casserole dishes like a lasagna or chicken enchiladas and that way you will have something easily accessible to reheat. Have multiple pairs of pajamas and Netflix or Hulu will be helpful :smiley: You got this!

2 Likes

Yes Cerebral Angiogram, through femoral artery, still checking the large one behind eye, smaller behind ear is fully occluded I believe.
Last one 2 years ago and laid me low for many weeks. Was told less laying flat time for leg to clot with Star Closure.
Will try the extra protein ad hydration route, Thanks Mol

1 Like

That sounds great mia.
My Surgeon will go through leg for me, hoping next checkup will be MRI.

In 2015 I had an unruptured 19mm R-ICA Saccular paraclinoid/anterior cavernous segment, the 9mm neck extends into middle cranial fossa. The Ophthalmic artery originates just distal to the base of the aneurysm. Smaller second one was behind left ear, thats closed, they say.
Had 2 telescoped PED’s in Right Annie and 1 Flex PED in left. Also have had 3 Angio’s since then and last time placed a “StarClosure” in groin in hopes an easier access this coming December for next check. Was hoping less laying flat in hospital this time , 4-6 hours ugh.

1 Like

@starbirder - I know what you mean about lying flat. For my angiogram, I had to lay for 2 hours. For the PED, it was about 6 hours.

I can do 2 hours, it the 4-6 with 15 minute checks are awful, cant really rest.

1 Like