Decision's to Make?

I had my third angiogram in eight year on Thursday. In 2005 had an angiogram, they found three Annie's all very small, angiogram then in 2008, said no significant change then this year say that they have grown, had an angiogram on Thursday to find they have all grown, still have the three, two at 3.5mm and one at 2.5mm, and now a fourth that is a pin size. After speaking with my Nero, he is giving me the option to have them use the PED method and do one every six months. Now I haven't done a lot of research on these, however they typically are used for people with large (7-9mm) or larger. I am not sure that is my answer. When asked about symptoms I was told that they have never been proven? I am going to Riverside in Columbus.

Now I saw the comment about anxiety? Well I had lost balance when I initially went to a Nero, only to be given MRA and find the Annie's. I am to the point where I am not sure what the cause is only that I am not a stressed/anxiety type of person. Never have been. So I think that whatever made my balance issues in the beginning and numbness, has an underlying cause other than now. I am happy with my Nero Radiologist I currently have. I have asked for a new Nero, that can possibly test for some other items.

I guess I am just frustrated that I can no longer work in my yard or flowers, let alone do a lot of other things. I don't have any stress with my spouse, children or family, quite the contrary they are very supportive.

So I guess that brings me to my question? What would you do and would you do the PED every six months to take care of the aneurysm's or would you take a wait and see approach?

Hi Brenda! I would not wait but I am biaed and already had a sah. Why can't you work in garden?? sure you can!! you've just been promoted to supervisor!!! - Let the famiy help you!

Hi Brenda...again Welcome to BAF ~ I am so glad you shared your story on the main forum...if you are so unsure about what the Neuro's are telling you and/or not telling you...Please go get a 2nd opinion...it is important sometimes for "peace of mind"... ~ I cannot tell you what I would do because my situation was so different...and I was told that my 2mm aneurysm...behind my eye...well if I had surgery the risk of it bursting would happen then...more than just living my life...and I have lots of problems with the one that was coiled...

I am hoping you get more words of wisdom from others...~ Wishing you a good Sunday ~ Colleen

Hi Brenda,

I think if I were in your dilemma..I'd try to get another opinion from another Neurosurgeon and see what they come up with...i know I wouldn't want to do the 'wait and see' approach, not now considering there has been growth ...but the PED plan every six months? no, that wouldn't make me happy...I'd want more of them taken care of at one time if at all possible... (where are the annies located? are they spread out or near one another?) but sometimes ofcourse thats not possible I know..

Did your Neurosurgeon give you any other options other then the PED? I think i'd be more comfortable getting another opinion at any rate, one that isn't associated with your current medical group maybe. There may be other options, (the gold standard clipping for instance? coils? ) bes tof luck to you Brenda, Peace, Janet

Hi Brenda: I'm in a similar boat, have 2 or 3 small annies about 3mm discovered in 2011 when I had a 30-day static migraine. 2 different docs completely dismissed them as almost the norm and said no treatment needed. I'm only having MRA every 3 years at this point. I'm 54, docs feel something else will get me before the annies do I guess. I only occasionally think about them now, like when my BP is running high. I don't think I'd be happy with the treatment plan of having 1 surgery every 6 months. I'm comfortable for now with the watch and wait approach. Hope you find peace with whatever decision you make.

My doctor told me they normally wouldn't treat anything less than 5 mm unless it was impacting on your life. I wouldn't go through a procedure unless it was required. At 5 mm they felt it was required for me; but I would have given anything not to have to go through with it. So I would do the wait and see approach and have it all done at one time if it became necessary.

Thank you Liam, that is what I am leaning towards. I now have an appointment with another neuro. This one has nothing to do with my annies only the side effects I seem to have. As far as working in my yard, I am not able to very long as it affects my balance and difficulty walking. I am hoping to get into this neuro before I go back to my regular one for the annies and maybe get some difinitive answers.

I am leaning towards the wait another year and see approach. Typically my blood pressure is low, now I think it was high during my last procedure, they did seem concerned about that, But since then it is fine.

I am glad to hear you say I know myself the best, I am a strong person and would rather be going and doing than seeing these doc's. Sometimes I wonder if I am imagining the symptoms, I have decided they are not from the annie's but something in my nervous system.

That is what I am thinking Donna, they are very small. Maybe after seven years and all these different side effects, he is just willing to do them and hope that takes care of everything. Did you have the pipeline? If so, what was your recovery process? I am not sure of the reason for doing one at a time, I guess that's a question for him.

That's what I tell my family, don't thiink the annies will get me, it will be something else.

I am leaning on the wait and see approach.

Janet - My annies are one behind my left eye, one on the right (both over 3.5mm), then one on the left is 2.5mm and the other on the right is tiny. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, will be asking that question. Wonder if anyone has ever had the pipeline done on more than one at a time?

The other option was to open me up, that is what he told my husband. Not sure what that means exactly. I have until the end of October to decide and discuss it with him.

Thank you for your support.

Hi Brenda,

The thing that bothers me most is that there has been growth in your annies, and growing annies are the ones the docs tend to get excited about as they say those are the ones more prone to rupture....to "open you up" would mean a craniotomy, usually referred to as a surgical clipping of the aneurysms...(I've undergone 2) Granted it is invasive, however its considered to be the
Gold standard" when treating most aneurysms. And regarding 'symptoms' of aneurysms, some doctors claim there are no symptoms, others seem to think there can be symptoms, I for one know factually that I had symptoms beforehand, on both of mine. I'd be wary of the dizziness issues you're having--and I hope you get the answers you're seeking very soon. Peace, Janet

HI Janet:

Thank you for your reply, first I have two appointments in October, one for a nuero for the symptoms, to decide if I have an underlying problem, and to discuss the annies, the second appointment is to see my nuero, I plan on talking about both the clipping and the pipeline, to be honest I am not a fan of the 6 month procedure. I am leaning on the clipping if the down time isn't to long. In saying that I work full time and have a tax and accounting business from my home. In a perfect world, I could have the clipping in November and by the first of the year be back on my feet and right into work and tax season? Maybe that isn't a realistic goal, my family says I need to give everything up and stay home, that's not me. So I am hoping for an answer soon. It has been seven years and I am ready to be done with it. I am being my own advocate from here on in. I love this site, I have found out more in the short few weeks on here than I have found out from any docs. Have a greatful day Janet!! Brenda

PS - I haven't ruled out the wait and see approach either.

Hello Brenda,

I'm glad to hear you've not ruled out the possibility of the clipping surgery, and I'll bet you'd like this whole annie-thing behind you, and be done with it, I've undergone 2 clippings and also had the coil, I guess I'm a bit more pro-clipping overall as I've had excellent results with both the clip surgeries, I didn't think too much of the coil when mine compacted though (which prompted the 2nd clipping instead of going the route of adding more coils) as for the PED, I've not experienced that procedure so I can't throw in my 2 cents worth--I can tell you however that there IS life after clip surgery! And honestly, I don't think that its an unrealistic goal of being back to work in January if you have a clipping done in November--on my last one I felt well enough after two months to go back to work (But I wasn't employed at the time) but I did all the same things i'd done pre-surgery with no problems , no hang ups related to the surgery at all. I'm happy to hear you're being your #1 Advocate too--thats awesome and in this day and age, its necessary ! Peace to you Brenda, Have a great day !

Hello Brenda, welcome to the site. I recently had the coiling and pipeline done. I only had one annie but it was a large one. I am still in my recovery. It takes 6 months for the pipeline to heal that is probably why they suggest one done every 6 months. I would think they could do more than one at a time. I know from others on here that the pipeline has made their annie disappear. So I think the pipeline would be a good treatment for you if its possible. Good luck to you with what ever you decide. Deb H

I totally understand the dizziness! I had a 7mm annie behind my right eye that was treated on Aug 28th with a PED. The procedure was a walk in the park. My neurosurgeon gave me the option of waiting too - as 7mm is right on the border of needing treatment. I was going to wait but the anxiety about every little pain in my head signalling an imminent rupture... was driving me crazy (ier) So I decided - let's do it. Now that a month has passed...I am still happy I had the procedure done. I hope this helps.

Thank you Amy, I am still trying to decide, mine are over 3.5 mm, that is small, the only issue he is saying is that fact that they are growing. He wants to do the one behind my left eye first. I have sorta resolved to let him do that one and the other one on the right that is also that size. The other two are smaller. I think his reasoning is that they have more than doubled in the last year. Do you work Amy and what was your recovery time to get back? You made me feel good that you had great results.Good luck and continue on the healing path.

Hi Brenda - I do not work because of other health issues (autoimmune). The only thing I had and still have to some degree is fatigue. Im not sure what % of my fatigue could be attributed to the surgery or what should be attributed to my autoimmune probs. I have a blow by blow post PED surgery on my BAF blog which could probably shine a more detailed light on my recovery. Good luck to you.