Question

Hi I'm from Australia and new to the forum.

My fiancee will have surgery on the 8th January, he has two unruptured brain aneurysm (4mm and 6mm).

I have read after the surgery, some people have mood swings and depression, do you guys know if it happens also before surgery? At the moment Shane is very moody, showing anger and bitterness. I don't really know how I can help him, I would like to know more so I can understand his behaviour.

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Elaine

hi desiree

i had mood swing and a very bad temper prior to my surgery, same signs showed after but nowhere as severe. my wife pulled me up on it as it happened, some might say she was a little too firm but it worked for me. i am an aussie as well. you might want to look at this and become a member. https://www.facebook.com/groups/abasaa/

Thanks Noel, Shane’s mum died 24 years ago of ruptured aneurysm and at the age of 45 same as him so that’s make it worst for him.

it would be terrible for him. they are buggers of things. they stop you from explaining anything. you just cant get it out. if you want to become a member of the aussie one we can chat on there and maybe shane will join in to. it will help him a lot there are only a few members at this point but it will help you both

Hi Elaine, What a difficult time for you both, I had a ruptured aneurysm back in Feb 2011 when they found I had another aneurysm the other side of my head, I waited a year to have that fixed and in that year I had a myriad of emotions, I was fearful that the second one might burst, I was fearful of just about everything and fear can make you act in strange ways, my children said that I had become quite outspoken and stroppy, wasn't sure what they meant but did try to temper it after being told, just talk to him let him voice his fears and hopefully that will be enough, blessings to you both and good luck for the surgery, Jill xxx

Hi Desiree,

I've had two aneurysm clippings...one in 1998 and the other in 2010, and honestly I didn't experience any sort of depression or any real mood changes after either surgery...

How was Shane's aneurysm discovered?

Glad to know these were found before catastrophe were to strike, take care,

Janet

Thanks Gill xxx

Thanks Janet. During a visit at the doctor for headaches and dizziness. He had to do an MRI because of his family history, and that’s when he was told he had 2.

Hi Desiree
I’m in austrailia too where about are you I think we all have mood swings myself I put it down to the worrying
Thanks jimmy

Hi and again Welcome Elaine...Many of us have all kinds of emotions when we find out about our Brain aneurysm...I sorta went into denial one minute and then I would be teary~eyed the next...when we are first diagnosed it is a roller coaster of emotions...perhaps Shane's moodiness is fear...try and get him to open and share...and tell him how much you love him and will be there for him...I know it meant the world to me when hubs told me we would get through this journey together...Thoughts out to both of you ~ Colleen

I would suggest he join us a baf, we have many avenues here including chat located at the bottom entitled "main". Somehow typing it out helps, have you discussed this with a professional? its a long process with many phases of denial,anger, acceptance, it takes time to learn how to deal with the ptsd. There are many helpful articles in the baf site up top including "this ones for us" by Robin Reid. Everyones different tho and some choose to go it alone or avoid any social or professional help, i'm a d-I-y and been dealing with it myself- but I sure wish I had this community to help me thru my operations. Anyway i'll keep you and fiancée in thoughts and prayers~

Desiree, so sorry that the two of you are going through this. He is very fortunate to have you to be by his side. I agree with Colleen, let him know how much you love him and that you will be there every step of the way. I remember my emotions were all over the place when I found out about my aneurysm. I wasn't sleeping well and couldn't focus on anything. I finally called a few days before my surgery to see if there was anything I could take to help me sleep. They prescribed a tranquilizer to take at bed time. It was a godsend. The next 3 nights I slept so well and I actually was able to tame my emotions during the day after getting some sleep. Afterwards I was still on an emotional roller coaster. That has gotten better over time. But, it has changed me. I feel that I prioritize things in life much differently and focus on the things that really matter. I don't sweat the small stuff (at least most of the time). :) You and your fiance are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take Care and God Bless,

~ Carol

Elaine-

Before my surgery I experienced a range of motions. Anger-why me? Depression-I can't believe this is happening, how am I going to get through it. Anxiety-annie and surgery-enough said. I also experienced depression and anxiety after surgery. I think all very normal. Is he talking about it? Can he talk to you? If not, is there someone he can talk to? Ask him if he wants to talk about it. If he does not, just let him know you are there to listen.

Terri

Thank you all for your support. Shane doesn’t want to talk about it, he wants to deal with it on his own. I’ve told him about this page, but he doesn’t want to hear about it. All I can do is pray and let him know I’m by his side. Again thank you, this forum has helped me to understand the different stages people go through.

Hi Jimmy, i’m in Ingleburn, NSW

Good luck and God Bless Desiree...please keep us posted on how Shane does...~ Colleen

Elaine,

I am a post clipping of a 6mm annie.. I went threw every emotion you could think of...before and after..see if he'd get on here.. It's an awesome place to vent, we ALL understand here.. He can say any thing on here.. Like how pissed he is, how scared he is.. etc..

I'm sure your scared too. so please let it out on this site.. we are all here to help y'all get threw this..

Hugs Liesa