Change in Mood (Mood-swings)

Survivor of a 9mm aneurysm 10 yr.'s ago. Recently diagnosed with two more around the same area as the first. Dr.'s had to put 8 clips in my head to safely deflate the original aneurysm. The two new one’s seem to be as a direct result (back-flow) from the original. (*IMHO) Dr.'s wouldn’t confirm that for me, but it’s fairly clear on the angio pics. That’s just a little about my situation. My question is, has anyone undergone a change in mood, or mood-swings while being “under observation”? They took care of the first aneurysm within days, but this time they have me in a “wait-and-see” situation. And while that doesn’t make me happy, I’m not sure that is what is causing the mood-swings…

I had a ruptured 7mm aneurysm in April 2018 and two surgeries, one in May and one in June, which included a pipeline and coils. I have had a change in personality…I feel like I am angry almost all the time. I am short tempered and I have serious mood swings and depression. I don’t know if I should blame the non-stop headaches, the actual brain injury or all the new medications I am taking. I understand completely your situation, I hope you don’t have to wait and see for very long.

Hi , if it’s on the watch , it must be a reason for that : may be they are too small or something else and safer to observe it for now . My aneurysm ( actually it’s 2 but very close to each other ) is on the watch . I don’t think the process of waiting is making you different . May be aneurysm it’s self , or hormone , or certain vitamin defiecency ?
But it’s a good question . I have just noticed that last 4 years I have been very different person from who I was … I used to be very understanding , listening other people , tons of patience … always kept my promises now I get angry easily ,my main emotions are being tired or annoyed :)), very forgetful , not willing to socialize , almost no excitement …it became hard to face any new tasks . And I have been thinking is it aneurysm or other processes are going on…, it looks my reactions are faster then mind . The mood is changing all the time by the way :))

Thanks for replying! I’m currently only on BP medication, and for the most part I don’t suffer from headaches. They come and go. Not allowed to take aspirin anymore, so ibuprofen is my go to. After my first aneurysm and surgery, I noticed I was far more easily frustrated and angered. I couldn’t tolerate “chaos”, or “busy-ness”. If too many people got around me at one time, I would literally scream at them to leave me alone, to get away from me. Thankfully, over the past ten years, that has alleviated to a degree. I still don’t like being in a crowded room, but I’ve taught myself coping skills. Deep breathing mostly. I too, can be extremely forgetful in times of stress, and if the stress is too much, it seems my brain just wants to shut down. I can’t think, I get very agitated, and am just not generally nice to be around. This is a far cry from the person I used to be. I was much more outgoing, and stressful situations would fuel me to press on. Not anymore. :frowning. I pray for anyone going through this, and ask you to do the same for others (If you’re a Child of God). This “group” is a good way to share our stories and compare “notes”. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

1 Like

Peg1, I’ve not developed any new aneurysms but have had three coilings for the same one that ruptured. I had times during the waiting periods of another angiogram that the stress of not knowing would get to me, usually escalating closer to the date of the procedure. I would get frustrated when I came out and be told they would have to schedule for another coiling or even a simple MRA which may result in another angiogram. I learned that keeping busy with anything helped me, if I have to concentrate for a good bit of time, it’s like taking a sleeping pill lol. I also have triggers that make my aneurysm side effects worse - crowds, light, sound. I too found ways to cope for the most part but none really make them go away. And my headaches are no longer the kind that incapacitate me. Recently I was on medication that kept me confused and mean for me. So here’s what I’d suggest

1. Check your medications with your brain surgeon, there may be something that’s not compatible. Even your BP meds.

2. Are you going through menopause, if so, check with your doctor about appropriate assistance through the process. I’m a big fan of a compounding pharmacy due to the help of a dear loved one lol. And I’m a firm believer that both genders go through menopause.

3. if you’re attitude bothers you and the people you love, get some help from a professional, besides the deep breathing which is phenomenal exercise to do all the time, a good therapist can help you identify things your body does first so you can become aware and get ahead of it.

I’m not a medical professional but start with your medication and talk to the support person with your surgeon. It may be something as simple as a change of meds.

1 Like

You are an aneurysm survivor and now you know that you have two more. This SHOULD make you angry, sad, and crazy sometimes.

I watched my one aneurysm from 1998 to 2014 - so I know what you are experiencing. I went for the Pipeline in 2014.

We never leave the “watch” mode - it just changes a little.

You have the right to experience a full range of emotions - especially fear. If you are depressed, please seek professional counseling and consider antidepressants if they are warranted.

Talk therapy is likely to be very effective because you have a very clear reason to “be moody”. You hang in there.

Hi Peg1,
I’ve had 2 different aneurysms clipped. The 1st was coiled twice and finally had to be clipped…kept growing.
Anyway, I’ve been told by my surgeon that your brain gets “angry” when it’s been messed with. In any way.
So, before my 1st surgery I warned my friends that I might be irritable and say things I’d never say otherwise. That attitude eventually faded away.
However, 10 years later when the 2nd aneurysm was found…I couldn’t control my emotions at all. It was found in late 2015 and we watched it until early 2017 when it was clipped. I was very short tempered…like “Hangry” on steroids!! (That hungry anger) And…of course, I felt like I had a ticking time bomb in my head…and some people were playing hot potato with it and I had no idea what or when it was going to rupture. My 1st aneurysm did. I don’t ever want to go through that ever again and I was afraid that was going to happen.
I’m almost positive the waiting really messed with me subconsciously.
If you can find a neuropsychologist in your area, he or she might be able to help you sort some of this out. Mine did. She also helped me with the pros and cons of waiting to have it clipped vs. going ahead with the clipping.
Just know that we all pretty much have similar experiences and we are also unique in our experiences. So, what worked for me might not work for you.
I will keep you in my thoughts and I hope you go easy on yourself. This is some “heavy” stuff you’re going through. Belleruth Naparstek has some fabulous imagery CD’s/m3p downloadable etc. that cover a wide range of topics. I know she has one on stress. I used her CD about how to promote a successful surgery. She is just wonderful.
Good luck and I’ll keep you in my thoughts.

1 Like

Thanks, All for sharing. Would just like to say, I have a very volatile temperament, since the first aneurysm surgery. I think that even contemplating another (or more) surgeries has sent me into a tizzy!
I will say, that for all who are experiencing “issues”, of any kind, that you CAN do what you fear most. As for me, personally, I have had to push myself at times to do what I thought I couldn’t. And eventually, it became easier. As for the sleeplessness…I “inherited” diabetes insipidis from my surgery. The aneurysm was lying across my pituitary gland, and although they assured me, it was only temporary, I am one of the statistical anomalies that defy that diagnosis. My body (pituitary) no longer produces the hormone that regulates thirst. Consequently, I am the Sahara Desert, always needing to drink something…ANYTHING!!! Consequently, I awake every two hours (or less) to pee. I keep 12 Gallons of water in my house at all times, as well as 3-6 cases of seltzer water. I carry a mini-cooler with me at all times. NOT KIDDING. I haven’t had normal sleep in over ten years (unless chemically altered).
That alone may be what is making me so FREAKING ANGRY!!! lol

I’d also like to say, that having Ben’s Friends as a “go-to” when I get to feeling overly anxious, is a God-send. It’s always good to know that none of us, is truly alone! Put GOD first, and He will direct your steps. My prayers for all of you, and Hey, just to let you know…I “pastor” the homeless, and anyone else who is in need of prayer. Hit me up with any prayer request you may have, and I will pray. God Bless.

1 Like