Question about headaches (2)

Hello, I’m new to this site. My friend’s mom was an annie survivor, and she died recently, about ten years after her aneurysm. He and I were discussing sentinel headaches, but I wasn’t able to find much qualitative research on the internet about them. Would you be willing to help me make the internet a more helpful place? If so, answer any of the questions you feel comfortable with below:

1. Was your sentinel headache confirmed in hospital?
  2. What was the intensity like? Did it lay you out completely?
  3. Localized or general pain? Where?
  4. Were there any other symptoms? How long before these symptoms showed up? How long did these other symptoms continue?
  5. How long did you have the sentinel headache before the pain subsided?
  6. Anything else you would like to share about the experience of a sentinel headache, or that you think would be important for people to know?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer this. I (and others) would really value descriptions of your experience. Your story matters!

My started on an airplane as we descended. The intensity increased and was ABSOLUTELY the worse pain in the base of my head. I pressed a pillow trying to stop the pain. I went to bed, very stupid,
Got up next morning, pain was still worse.
Now I was having trouble walking and talking, very dizzy. Went back to bed all day.
The second day the pain subsided some, but the after effects remained the same with added confusion. I live alone, never called anyone or went to ER. After effects eased somewhat except confusion.
I stayed in bed exhausted for 5 days, telling my family I thought I was just exhausted after traveling. Couldn’t keep
food down. On 6th day my daughter came to check on me and made me go to my doctor. He wanted to admit me, I refused, got CT scan. Doctor said he would call me with results, he didn’t. For the next week, I was pretty much a mess physically and mentally. Went to a neurologist, had MRI seen an aneurysm, sent me to neurosurgeon, cranialgram, and found 4 aneurysms, largest had bled…
I procedure done in June, 2nd next week, at least a 3rd, possibly 4 total.
ADVICE, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, GO TO ER WITH ANY EXCRUCIATING HEADACHE.
I LUCKY I DIDN’T DIE.

I began having migraines in August 2011. They soon got longer, and more painful, with a hangover that lasted for days. By January they lasted 3 days minimum. My therapist put me on short term disability at the end of January 2012 because all I could do was cry and my memory was fading in and out. On Feb 11, 2012, or maybe a little before (not much memory of that time) I began to vomit and had diarrhea. What I do remember was being dizzy not seeing clearly and feeling like my head was about to explode. I called a friend to take me to the hospital, cuz you know, its just a headache. When she arrived we did the cold compress, rub temples, but it wasn’t helping. She tidied up a bit because my house was truly a disaster (again I don’t remember) and when she asked if I was ready to go, I stood up and all my body parts were in the wrong place. I told her to call 911 and I don’t remember a thing for about 2 weeks. I’m told I was talking and signing paperwork, discussing treatment, etc… ?? I had vasospasms during the coiling procedure and was drugged for 3 weeks, hallucinating like mad.

It’s been 5 years and several important abilities have not come back. My fine motor control is in the 1st percentile, executive function is impaired and I can’t multitask at all. Like talking and dusting. Anyway, if your head feels like it’s exploding, vomitting and feel dizzy GO TO THE ER!!

Thanks so much for your stories. There is so little out there about sentinel headaches from a descriptive perspective! I wonder if anyone else would be willing to share…