Preparing for clipping surgery

Talk to them. Tell them what you know and ask for this change to be clarified. It may be the surgeon needs to be somewhere else and doesn’t want someone different to see you. Your doctor will know better when he/she is doing the procedure and how it goes. Remember to breathe Wizard!

Today is the day! I am ready to get this over with.

Wizard , we wish you everything to go smoothly !

1 Like

Good luck!

I think I’m too late to wish you good luck, but can’t wait to hear your update and know that at went well!!

Your list is quite complete, but I have one more thing to add to your list, go out and get books of crossword puzzle. You will need to get some very easy ones to start with.
I had my 3 anny’s clipped in 2008, I also had a small blood clot at the base of my brain. The surgery took like 14 to 16 hours and I was put in an induced coma for 2 weeks for my brain to heal and the swelling to go down.
So everyone is different when you go in and when you come out. After one month in the hospital I finally went home. Then 3 days after being home I open the newspaper and just looked at it, I could not read nor could I write my name, I was scared and almost went into deep depression, but my doctor told me that my brain needed more rest and not to pick up anything to read or even try to write or print.
After going back for my first follow up he told me to have my wife to go and get books of crossword puzzles and have your care taker work with you to start learning how to read again, it’s now been 10 years, I can read and write again but I have lost the ability to remember the difference between a noun and a verb and all parts of basic English.
So just be peppered that all you went in with you might not come back with. Your short memory might be a small problem, but remember to write everything down so you can refer back to it. Long term will take some time to get back. I also had to have my optic nerve removed 10 months later. Which was a tough decision to make, but the doctor told me that this would be a piece of cake but I was worried that I had made so much progress I didn’t want to start over. This surgery was over and done with out any problems.
So just take it easy, don’t worry about getting back to work. Go back when you are complete healed going back to soon will be very frustrating if you are not totally healed.
I was not fortunate enough to go back to work, I was an commercial real estate broker and just had a hard time with numbers and due to the opioids that I am still on I could not sell anything or represents another buyer or seller. So I am now on disability and it’s killing me, but I am still alive.
So the best of luck to you and come out in great shape, but just remember that your life was saved.
Ray D.

Day 16 post op and feeling pretty good, ready for some more energy.

2 Likes

This is much after the fact but so glad you are feeling better. I am a single mom and thankfully my daughter is a teenager; my sister was able to stay with me about 10 days so that was a huge help. I want to add a few things that may help in general and specifically for people with limited support options, kids, etc.

1. Nausea and jaw pain limited eating, so I recommend planning a variety of stomach friendly drinks and soft foods. Consider setting up a cooler to keep beverages close.
  2. Ice pack changes and small pillows helped in neck and head pain. Roll-on lidocaine 5%, available over the counter by aspercreme, salon pas, absorbine jr, was psi for me.
  3. Locate a pharmacy that delivers or consider mail order deliver or ”postmates” if that is available in your area in case something has to be called in by your doctor.
  4. Baby wipes or disposable wash clothes. infused with soap from the pharmacy are helpful when dizzy or too tired to bath. Also bathing instructions very by procedures.
  5. Arrange hygiene supplies in a convenient location for easy access. Make sure to have toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, hibiclens, sterile saline, and triple antibiotic ointment. Make sure trash is accessible.
  6. If you won’t have support from family or known friends, try reaching out to local community/ faith organizations;if you are a parent, your child’s school may be a resource. They may be able to organize a meal train to ensure you receive healthy and nutritious food.
  7. Try to arrange rides to and from school ahead. 8. Unfortunately, State Medicaid programs that offer personal care for beneficiaries are not able to do anything unless it is a patient service (no pet or child care)

These are fantastic ideas, thanks for posting them!

Thank you! Great tips.

Whoot! Whoot! got to drive my car yesterday (almost 8 weeks post op) - it felt great.

1 Like

Good for you Wizard!