Preparing for clipping surgery

Trying to compile a list of thing to have done prior to my surgery; so far this is what I have come up with:

1. Educate yourself on the procedure; ask your neurosurgeon every question you can even the dumb ones.
  2. Have legal documents ready advance directive, power of attorney, will, etc.
  3. Arrange for time off work I understand 6-8 weeks is recommended; my employer is allowing up to 90 days but I can return early if I want.
  4. Pay all the bills, set up auto pay and even prepaying some so that nothing will be due for at least the first couple weeks.
  5. Arrange for a caregiver if needed for at least the first week out of the hospital; my wife will fill in that role.
  6. If you donā€™t have an adjustable bed, get a wedge pillow that allows you to sleep with your head elevated.
  7. Get a shower chair/stool I understand this will be very helpful especially the first couple weeks due to lack of energy.
  8. Check with your doctor about bring your meds from home. I take a medication for cluster headaches that works very well (headache gone in 10-15 minutes). When I had my angiogram I developed a headache and my doctor allowed for me to take my med and a Vicodin. The hospital pharmacy didnā€™t carry my headache med and charged me what would cover a 30 day supply for 1 Vicodin.
  9. Be sure to either pre wash or have someone to do laundry. I understand you will need to change bed linen and PJā€™s quite often due ā€œleakage from your woundā€.
  10. Check with your insurance to see what is and isnā€™t covered. You may not like it but at least you can keep surprises to a minimum.

If you can think of anything else or other help hints they would be apricated!

2 Likes

This list sounds pretty good. Maybe have some meals prepared? I was lucky enough to have quite a few people bring me meals because mine was a surprise/rupture. My husband was able to have 6 weeks off with me, but he was so busy keeping up with everything that I also did that meals got put on the back burner. It was nice to have some frozen to just throw in the oven. Also, it easy for me when I was home alone, due to lack of energy. Also, with the shower chair, I found a removable shower head was very helpful when you canā€™t stand in the shower. We picked things up as we went being that it wasnā€™t planned, but they were very helpful. Good Luck!

1 Like

You have a great list started! Kgrip added really useful tips as well. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

I was given the surprise rupture as well. I was coiled, so a little different. The dietician and Neurosurgeon advised a high protein diet to help my brain heal. Mine was 90 grams a day. The only way I could get that much protein was through some protein drinks and later some bars. Make sure to check with your surgeon on the amount you need to take. Also had to drink Gatorade 3 bottles a day. We struggled with finding flavors I liked. But again ask your surgeon. My parents were alive and they babysat me during working hours. Sometimes when my Neurosurgeon would ground me from my parents, I would stay home and I would get everything set up near me so I didnā€™t have to go far for what I needed. If you have a recliner, that helps. I slept a lot so usually I was on the couch.

If you take heart medicine, make sure your Neurosurgeon is ok with you continuing it. Make sure not only the doctor has your directives, but the hospital as well and itā€™s noted in your record.

I found the toilet safety rail we had gotten for my Dad was really helpful. Itā€™s easy to put together, just slides to the base of the toilet and it prevents the person cleaning the toilet having to do more work. They may not have that model, check around. If youā€™re a Veteran, your county officer may be able to help. Or if your doctor thinks you need it, their office can give you a prescription. I had to walk a bit with a walker, I still had one from back surgery the year before. Check with friends and family to offset these types of costs.

This sounds unimportant, but help your wife clean the house before you go in for your procedure. She is going to be really busy and exhausted mostly from worrying. Do Not forget to tell her you love her. Give each other hugs as much as possible, a hug increases endorphins and will make you both feel better.

Suggestions for your wife - make sure she has a good support group that can help her through the stress. Set a time she can leave you for a couple hours even if someone else has to come in. Ensure she knows how to pay the bills, balance the checkbook and any task that you usually do. Recovery is a team effort and although you are the one the surgeon is working on, it effects both, so be kind to each other. Perhaps develop a word or phrase to let the other know their bossiness or hovering is becoming overwhelming.

Good luck with your clipping!

4 Likes

I think you have a great list and others gave great ideas! I would add have some audio books and podcasts downloaded. At least for me tv and reading were too stimulating at first. Also I normally only wear contacts but they bothered me for a couple of week so I would say have glasses as a back up. You will do great!

1 Like

Wonderful add-onā€™s and helpful hints, thanks keep them coming!

Even if they are not needed (and we all hope they arenā€™t), look into social services to assist in filling any gaps in personal needs. If family are able to assist, thatā€™s great, but if not you may need some home support. Ask the hospital what sorts of assistance they have available for post surgery needs.
I say ā€˜look intoā€™ it now, it can be much easier to do this prior to surgery than trying to do it post surgery, when you could be in too much discomfort to think straight, well, I was.

Just something else to think of.
Merl from the Moderator Support Team

1 Like

good job my friend, also a grab bar in the shower, i saw suction cup type , not sure if i trust those! I was lucky my boss installed one, and also de-clutter and possibly make room for a walker or wheelchair paths, prayers too! oh and buy easy meals, frozen ones are great- single person especially but even for spouse as they might be busy pulling more weight, tc

1 Like

Thank you for all of these suggestions. Good luck Wizard

It seems to me you have anticipated quite a lot. I had an aneurysm clipped in October 2018. I did not have any preparation. Fortunately I was able to get into a facility where I could get treatment. Fortunately, family and friends have really helped me, and Iā€™ve been able to make many improvements. Just wondering how yours was discovered and if you know where it is located in the brain? I think the recovery process is going to be different for each person. I like your plan to take off several weeks from work and I agree it would be very helpful to have some meals ready. I wish you the best and if anything else occurs to me I will tell you.

1 Like

Wowā€¦wish I had been this prepared!! Iā€™ve had 2 clippings and on the 1st oneā€¦I went back to work too early. Way too early.
Just know your brain is gonna be upset and give it as much time as you can to recover. Sleep is the best thing you can do for your brain to recover. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been told anyway.
I went back to work part time 4 weeks after surgeryā€¦just 10 hours a weekā€¦working from home. Then 20 hours the next week, 30 the next and 40 theā€¦you get my drift!!
I should have taken the 12 weeks.
Also, I hate having dirty hair so I shaved my head both times!!
Otherwise, you are on top of things.
Iā€™ll have you in my thoughts and when you are ableā€¦please let us know how you areā€¦
Mary

Mine was found while doing a study for my Cluster Headaches and is unrelated to the headaches. It is located just behind the right eye in fact they are going to remove some of my eye socket to get to it. A bit worried about vision issues as it is right next to the optic nerve. While it is fairly small 4.5mm it is deformed, it has kind of a double head (like the top of a heart) and daughter sacks with a very wide neck which is why coiling is not a good fit. It is getting real I got my surgery packet in the mail today!

I recommend giving someone you trust your passwords for key online documents/bill paying sites. When I was hospitalized I was unable to remember things and my husband had a terrible time trying to access our computer, bank accounts and our online accounts as I had all the account information and passwords memorized.

Thanks Susan67 Done and Done

Whatever you do, donā€™t hurry back to work too early. I had a clipping in September 2017 and against my neurosurgeonā€™s directive, I went back to school in January of 2018. Not good. I still had depth perception issues, and was quite a lot weaker than i thought I was. Added to that, I developed headaches right around the area of the incision and in my left eye.
One other thing, Unless something else is taking place, there shouldnā€™t be any leakage from the wound. While everyone is different, I didnā€™t have to change my linen regularly because of leakage. I did it because I wanted to minimize bacteria and prevent infection.
Be very careful walking around the first couple of weeks. Take up ALL loose rugs, runners, etc.
If you have cats do not allow them in your bed for a few weeks. (At least until your staples are removed)
Walk around your house but avoid stairs! (Do this with some help, though, not by yourself)
I had depth perception issues and cloudy vision for a few weeks, but my aneurysm was at the base of the optic nerve behind my left eye, so thereā€™s that.
Overall, it is a difficult thing to do but try to relax a little and not work yourself up too much. Thank God that youā€™re having it taken care of. As you stated first, ask EVERY question that comes to mind. EVERY ONE. Donā€™t worry about annoying anyone, ASK.
May God bless and keep you and your family, and give you a safe, satisfactory and speedy outcome! Much love to you.

Completed my pre-surgery appointment yesterday and everything looks good moving forward. Also attended an aneurysm support group last night and met a young woman that was 5 weeks post rupture. She had spent 3 weeks in the hospital and out just two weeks but was doing very well. Hoping I can recover as well as she has.

Itā€™s great you found a support group! Remember a rupture has a whole lot of other factors, itā€™s apples and oranges, in comparison to letā€™s get this aneurysm stable. Thereā€™s the Grades like Hunt and Hess based on clinical condition and thereā€™s the Fischer Scales based on the amount of blood that fills the subarachnoid space, just to name a couple. All fruit, but different variety. Keep a positive attitude and youā€™ll have a great jump start.

I didnā€™t have a rupture, but am four weeks post-op from having my aneurysm clipped. I almost feel guilty reading the notes above because I have been feeling fantastic. Need more sleep than before, but otherwise have been able to drive, take walks and manage household stuff. The doctor said I could start light exercise two weeks post op ā€“ full-on hard exercise eight weeks post op. So, at two weeks, I started using the elliptical and have worked up to 45 minutes at a time. Iā€™ve been doing it several times a week - not every day. The only side effect Iā€™ve been having is that I get SUPER tired by about 4:30-5:00 every day. I am supposed to return to work at six weeks and reading above, I am getting a bit concerned about trying to jump back in full time. I hope you are lucky and donā€™t have lasting side effects following surgery.

Donā€™t feel guilty. Just be thankful! Itā€™s good to hear a bright report like yours. Hope all continues to be good!

MRB65 Thanks for sharing, be proud not guilty! Sounds like you are doing everything right and it is paying off. I would suggest easing back into to work; maybe one or 2 days a week at first.

With only a couple days left until my clipping I have gotten a call wanting to reschedule my follow-up appointments, again. They want to push out my 2 week appointment to 3 weeks and cascade the others. Everything I see says I need to be seen within two weeks, how important is this appointment? My anxiety level is already high I donā€™t need this piled on.