Plavix

Hi everyone. Im new to the site and just figuring out where to post my questions. Im 12 weeks postop coiling with stent. How long were any of you on Plavix therapy post coiling/stent?

I had a PED. Plavix was stopped after 3 months due to severe bruising. I should have been on it for 6-9 months. Still on 325 aspirin.

Im not sure exactly what PED is?

I think I was on Plavix for 6 months and now 325 mg asprin for the rest of my life.

It's a Pipeline Embolization Device.

Jennifer said:

Im not sure exactly what PED is?

Hi Jennifer, I posted this on the main discussion board also. I had a 10mm annie in my left ICA coiled and stented in May '15. Originally my surgeon said I would probably be on Plavix/aspirin for 3 to 6 months. However at my 2 week check he told me I could stop Plavix after 30 days and continue with just a full strength aspirin indefinitely. I've had no problems at all. Follow up MRI scheduled for November. Good luck!

Hi Jennifer…I was on Plavix and aspirin…325…for 3 months…now just aspirin for the rest of my life…no complications…only bruising with the plavix.

Mona

Aspirin 325?

325 mg.

Full strength aspirin (325 mg) as apposed to a low dose or baby aspirin (81 mg).

I was on Plavix and low dose aspirin for 6 months after PED. I will be on low dose aspirin forever, I suppose. The only side effect of the Plavix was bruising.

Was on Plavix 6 months post surgery, and changed to low dose aspirin after 2 1/2 years.

I couldnt find my response to what I replied earlier (Im new), but did your surgeon tell you why you were able to come off of Plavix so early?

Jeanne627 said:

Hi Jennifer, I posted this on the main discussion board also. I had a 10mm annie in my left ICA coiled and stented in May '15. Originally my surgeon said I would probably be on Plavix/aspirin for 3 to 6 months. However at my 2 week check he told me I could stop Plavix after 30 days and continue with just a full strength aspirin indefinitely. I've had no problems at all. Follow up MRI scheduled for November. Good luck!

Jeanne627, would you mind sharing why you think your dr let you come off plavix early? My doctor is telling me to stop at the end of this week (6 weeks post op) and I am a little nervous. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hi Kim,

Originally my surgeon said I would probably be on Plavix/aspirin for 3 to 6 months. However at my 2 week check he told me I could stop Plavix after 30 days and continue with just a full strength aspirin indefinitely. He knew I did not want to be on Plavix any longer than I needed to be and since I had no complications he was confident I would be fine with just a full aspirin. My follow up MRA in December was normal. I've had no 'problems' to speak of though I do feel dizzy / foggy headed at time and have tinnitus almost all the time. I've been told it's unrelated to the aneurysm. Not sure I believe that but who knows, right?

Hope that helps! :-)

That does help! Do you mind me asking why you didn’t want to be on it longer? I see lots on this forum worried about stroke and clots and such with discontinuing too soon. I’m super excited to take away a med, but nervous that it seems so much sooner than most do it. I can’t wait to have my follow up MRA and hopefully get good news! I don’t do that until August. Thanks for answering my questions. :slight_smile:

I’m not a fan of any kind of prescription medication and try to avoid them. Plus, I bruise easily as it is, Plavix made that worse. I was a little concerned about the possibility of clots and a stroke but I have complete faith in my surgeon more than anything else. He was very confident that a full strength aspirin for me would be fine since I had no other health concerns.
You will feel much better after your MRA. Until then, just have faith and stay in tune with your body.
Feel free to reach out anytime. This whole experience is a little surreal and it helps to connect with people who are going through or have gone through the same thing. The words “brain anuerym” are pretty scary.
My advice would be to trust your doctor, but listen to your gut. Live every moment, and focus on the good things in life. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! Yes, it’s so nice to talk to someone who understands. I don’t have to try and explain it all, because you get it. Was your first MRA 6 months out? My surgeon is very highly regarded, and I think he is very talented at what he does. I do however get the feeling that he loves surgery, but not the follow up. He isn’t great at explaining things, just tells me to trust him, that he is my dr…and I guess that is true. My surgeon is in Dallas, TX. Where is yours?

Yes, my MRA was at 6 months. I will have one every six months for at least 3 years. I think to some degree all surgeons really prefer the surgery over the follow up. I ask a lot of questions and my Dr is great about answering in a way that the average person can understand. He’s very down to earth. At my follow up I asked what they looked for on the MRA. He said “come with me, I’ll show you” he showed me the MRA and explained what they look for. Also showed me a crazy picture of my aneurysm that he took in the angiogram during my surgery. We are so very fortunate to have this technology. My Dr is Robert Singer at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Labanon NH. Excellent facility. Can’t say enough good things about them.

im 3 weeks post PED and the effient is bruising me badly, I’m kind if freaked, will I bleed out? become anemic? hoping in five months to take only aspirin. very tired too, I will see my surgeon on Monday which is comforting, thanks for all sharing, ellie