Plavix, Asprin

Hi, Just wondering about the plavix and aspirin I’m taking. I started the Plavix 75 mg, Asprin 325 mg, A week before my surgery. It’s been nine days since my surgery. The doctor said, I would have to take the Plavix and aspirin for six months and then most likely the aspirin indefinitely. I hope that the aspirin will be lowered to a low dose if that’s the case! Prior to this aneurysm, I took very little medication, just some vitamins, a probiotic, and Prilosec as needed. I’m not liking taking this medicine but at least I’m still here! :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: That just seems like a high dose of Asprin and it certainly can’t be good for my stomach! :weary: I starting making sure that I eat before I take it so hopefully that helps. Also too has anyone tried Arnicare gel Homeopathic for Bruises/pain? My Dr reccomended it, as I have huge bruises on my inner thigh and groin area, and arm where they had a monitor during surgery. The gel is suppose to help bruises heal faster.

2 Likes

Hi back. Thank you for sharing. When I had my conversation with the Interventional NeuroRadiolist (who performed my stent-assisted coiling procedure) about the Clopidogrel 75mg and baby aspirrn regimen that he askesd me to take on a daily basis until our 6-month follow up visit, he admitted to me that the low dose aspirin part of the regimen was not universally agreed on by everyone who performs the endovascular procedure. The same could be said about including a low dose statin, he added. He informed me that he was a proponent of including both the low dose aspirin and statin; other docs might feel differently.

Regarding the 325mg of aspirin that you were asked to take on a daily basis, I have yet to come across any literature where the aspirin that was prescribed to complement a blood thinner, post endovascular procedure, was a higher dosage than the baby aspirin one. It can’t hurt to ask your doctor why he prescribed the dosage that he did.

Thank you, again, for sharing.

@KTP
Hello.Let me tell you how my story was with anti platelet medication/ so called blood thinners.

There is a reason why they check the blood levels when we are prescribed Plavix and Aspirin. The uptake in our bodies has to do with our genetic profile so some of us need more, some less. It doesn’t matter what food we eat, this is a genetic thing. Once they have found the proper dose, you will stay on that most likely until the 6 month checkup. I was prescribed 562mg Aspirin ! = 1 1/2 Aspirin for 6 months as I was a “low responder” of Aspirin and the doctor gave me 40mg Pantoprazole daily to protect my stomach lining due to this high dose.
I was a “high responder” of Plavix when they checked the P2Y12 Inhibitor Reactivity in my blood. I only needed 1/2 Plavix every 3rd day!
They explained it that I shouldn’t worry, it was a common thing that people react differently and need an adjusted dose. I just had to be careful not to injure myself.

After 6 months I was able to stop the Plavix and went down to 375mg Aspirin. I finally got the 81mg Baby Aspirin 2 1/2 years later and that has to be for ever. I switched to Pantoprazole 20 mg although it might not be necessary to take it now.

I also remember that we cannot take Omeprazole while we take Plavix, it inhibits the uptake of Plavix.

Ask your doctor if you need some medicine to protect your stomach lining and don’t “self medicate “. That’s my advice. We don’t want any blood clots to form in the brain so we need the medication. It is also proven that the Aspirin reduces the inflammation in the artery and prevents the aneurysm to grow.
Be well and stay safe

1 Like

With my stent, I started Plavix and aspirin a week prior to its placement. I didn’t tolerate the Plavix and I don’t think anyone ever did the test @oct20 shared though I think it would be helpful. I just went down to the 81mg of aspirin every day about two weeks after the stent I think it was.

Absolutely follow @oct20 advice about not self medicating even with OTC or holistic medicine as they can react to the meds you do need to take. I always ask both my doctor and my Pharmacist about any I take. If I knew bout Arnicare before today, you betcha I would have asked! Those bruises were nasty, especially the heparin shots I took every day in NSICU.:joy:

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking, did your doctor then put you on a statin as well? I cannot tolerate statins, I was put on the gamut of them way before I ruptured. I’m just curious.

1 Like

@Moltroub, I’ve had a few of the Plavix Platelet function blood tests done now and my Dr wants another one done soon too. So I’m happy he’s keeping an eye on the levels. In regards to a statin med, is that for cholesterol? My Dr didn’t put me on one. Only the plavix and Asprin at this point anyway. Also thanks to Peter, and oct20 for all the info regarding the meds. I really appreciate it as this is all new to me! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@KTP
I’m glad we could help. We have “been there done that “.
It seems that your doctor is doing the right thing with checking your levels. I hope everything goes well with you.
All the best

1 Like

No problem at all; be happy to oblige.

The answer to your question is a qualified yes. He did prescribe a low dosed statin, but along with the prescription came an explanation that it was not a universally prescribed regimen by every performer of endovascular surgery. And he included his reason for including it in my post op regimen.

Please bear in mind that I also established a chain of communication between my neurologist and my cardiologist, because I wanted each one to know what the other one was performing, treating and prescribing. I have mild calcification in my coronary artery (comes with my geezer years), and my cardiologist is very conservative when it comes to prescribing statins. My neurologist, on the other hand, showed me some printed sources which supported the inclusion of a statin in an endovascular post op regimen. Consequently, and until my 6 month followup in a couple of months, I am on a regimen of baby aspirin, Rosuvastatin 5mg, and Clopidogrel 75mg.

It may be pertinent to mention that I have a habit of informing all my doctors that… if they were inclined to prescribe a pharmaceutical for me, I would prefer to start with the lowest dose that would be applicable and work my way up if need be. Hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Yes, statins are used to reduce cholesterol. My PCP found a shot I can give myself every two weeks. My cholesterol wasn’t extremely high but the good and bad levels were enough for her to want me on it. The AHA keeps changing them in my opinion. I forget to take them regularly because they’re kept in the refrigerator and not with my other medications. She’s okay with it as long as I do give myself one which works out to about every three or four weeks. My levels are really good. I don’t have a concerning build up of plaque just a little which is due to age and probably genetics. I only have to see a Cardiologist every five years for a genetic issue with a valve.

1 Like

Hi. I’d be concerned about that much aspirin too. Why I’ve been doing after my TBI and strokes is taking a lot of turmeric and pepper capsules.
I buy the 00 size capsules, a pound of good quality turmeric and a pound of black pepper from Amazon.
I use tight fitting latex gloves to pack turmeric capsules and then pack pepper capsules. I take 6 turmeric and 2 pepper with coffee (coffee reduces brain swelling but doesn’t help the insomnia) three times a day. I not only NEVER get headaches when I consistently take these but they are also anti bacterial, anti fungal and inflammatory and anti viral!! My dococant believe turmeric is so powerful that I rarely take the prescribed medication for pain. I also had Shingles in 2017 and have Lyme from 2017 too.
Take care.

1 Like

Hi there,
I would ask your doc about every medication you need/want to add or stop and follow all medication instructions. I was put on plavix and aspirin prior to my first stent surgery, a year and half ago. Had a second stent placed a year later. Was kept on dual anti platelet for an additional 6 months. After doctors orders to stop the plavix and just stay on the aspirin I had a stroke 5 days after stopping the plavix. I guess the aspirin wasn’t enough even though it is for most people. My doctor was VERY conservative with the dual anti platelet therapy so it just was unfortunate. I always ask my neuro before starting any new medication and make sure I ALWAYS take both the aspirin and plavix. Will be on plavix for life. Good luck!

4 Likes

@ktempelman
I’m so sorry to hear that you got a stroke immediately after stopping your Plavix, I guess this is not a common occurrence but unfortunately it happened to you.
As you mentioned, this is exactly why we need to follow the doctors instructions. The reason for the dual anti platelet medication is to avoid this to happen. @KTP any questions you have regarding your medication and the dosage, please reach out to your physician and let him/ her know about your concerns. NEVER EVER self medicate with OTC drugs OR homeopathic drugs. Always check with your physician before you take any other drugs.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. Yes from what I understand very rare to have a stroke that far out from the pipeline being placed and such a short amount of time off the plavix. I was very very lucky it happened when I woke up and I caught it very early. They did a thrombectomy and minimized the damage.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting! There are lots of articles and research on coffee having an anti inflammatory impact. As @oct20 likea to remind us check with a doctor first before self medicating.

I also contracted Lyme’s several decades ago, I feel for you. Did you know Ben’s Friends Rare Disease has a support group for people with Lyme’s? https://lymediseasesupportnetwork.org/

2 Likes

Thank you for your post. Yes, absolutely I will always check with the Dr before I take anything or stop any meds. I’ll be getting the plavix levels checked again soon. I’m glad he’s keeping a close eye on the levels. Take care.

2 Likes