Not sure what to do next

after complaining of headaches my wife had an ct scan followed by an MRI and MRA. findings are 3 intracranial aneurysm, largest is in the left supraclinoid ICA measuring 14 x 8 x 7 mm, 2mm aneurysm in the right supraclinoid ICA near the ophthalmic origin, and 6x5x5mm aneurysm projecting off the mid basilar artery toward the right. We just got the results and we are terrified.

Frank, I am so sorry to hear that your wife has aneurysms. Just know that she was lucky to have had them found before rupture. I know you all don't feel lucky, but now they can be taken care of.

Does she have a Neurosurgeon? She must get into see a surgeon, do your research on the Dr. and hospital. Make a list of questions to take to the appointment.

Easier said than done but please try not too get yourselves too worked up at this time. When I was told I had 2 aneurysms and once seen by the surgeon I was at ease having a plan in place.

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Caroline

Hi Frank-

So sorry about the diagnosis. I know how scary it is. Knowledge is power. Research and find the best docs in your state. Make appointments to see them. Asks lots of questions. How would they treat the annies? What is their approach? (My doc came in through my forehead) How many of the procedures do they do per month/year? How long do they expect the surgery to be? How long will she be in the ICU and then the regular unit? What complications are possible? What are her limitations now? What is the follow up like (angiogram, CT scan etc)?

Remember to breathe. The good thing is they were found before they ruptured.

Terri

Frank...

You and your wife are surrounded by prayer for results and recovery...

First please, I beg, to feel blessed that your wife had a doctor willing and able to take more progressive diagnostic testing for headaches...not at all common...

Overall you have been extremely blessed... later we can/may share suggested questions to her docs for data supplied to assist her/you in the decisions of type of treatments, etc...

Prayers for you to maintain your rest...your health to maintain your strong support... and, that you tell your wife she will have a zillion (must be more than trillions?) prayers and support here...

Please keep us updated...

Pat

Frank,

Yes, getting hit with the words' Brain Aneurysms ' is enough to send one right over the edge in terror--BUT: like everyone else has noted, these were found before a catastrophic event took place, so although 'lucky' may not be the term you're thinking of right now, you are very lucky indeed. You'll be doing some consulting with a Neurosurgeon(s) next to figure out the next step, probably surgical intervention ...there are several procedures known to fix aneurysms, and your Neurosurgeon will tell you what he thinks is the best direction to go. And if you and your wife aren't comfortable with the Neurosurgeon, get another opinion. One thing is for certain, you've got a lot of support here in our 'family'! Peace to you and your wife as you begin the journey, Janet

Thanks to all for your kind words and support!

We have an appointment today with a neurosurgeon, everything has moved so fast MRI/MRA Wednesday, called by her Doctor 4 hours later and told to meet with him the next day, explained the results and now an appointment with this Doc. We are in Florida (West Palm) so if anyone has a recommendation let me know. If its better to travel to get this done that's fine as well.

You have received great advice Frank...and I would highly suggest an appointment with a neurosurgeon...and possibly a 2nd a opinion...sending some thoughts and positive prayers your way ~ Colleen

Follow up

We met with the Doc today (practices in Neurology, Radiology, Neuroradiology, and Vascular & Interventional Radiology. He believes the best course of action is coiling on the 2 largest annies and a watch on the smallest. Nice enough guy and tried to answer the ton of questions we asked and spent about 1 1/2 hours with us. We do have an appointment with a neurosurgeon on Monday for a second opinion. Anyone with coiling experience out there I love to here about it to help with our decision.

Hi Frank...Coiling is less invasive and like your wife I have the basilar artery aneurysm...this still is a journey and takes time for healing...it is important to ask about the coils compacting...Is that a possibility...? Also, what is the follow up care to prevent or acknowledge compacting? This happened to mine and I was never told it was a possibility...not that I wouldn't have still been treated...but to me the more I know ... the better...

I am so happy you are getting a 2nd opinion, but reassuring that the Neuro people spent good amount of time with you ~ cyber ~thoughts to you and your wife ~ Colleen

You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers Frank. I was diagnosed with a 2mm aneurysm about 2 months ago. We're going to keep an eye on mine since it's so small.

Hugs to you both.

Thanks Colleen,

He did say that compacting was a possibility but they would deal with it if it did happen. Do you choose the coiling or was it recommended by your docs?

Same and same to you.

Hi Frank! just wanted to say hi and the others replys here were outstanding! once you get to talk to the surgeon I think your fears will lessen as he/she instills a sense of confidence and great expertise. It is scary of course so stick with us and don't research too deep theres scary stuff on the internet. I don't like stats-ie- 10% of chicken pox patients get shingles-been there done that. 10% of those get them on their face-beat those odds np!! I much prefer to put my faith in God, we will keep you in thoughts and prayers~~

Met with 2 docs today 1 a neurosurgeon the other a neurointerventional surgeon, after a 2 hr meeting we have decided that we want him to do the procedures. 1 will be a pipeline embolization The other will be a stent assisted coiling. Looks like the first week of Dec at the Cleveland Clinic for us.

Hi Frank, I was diagnosed with a large aneurysm in June. 17 days later I was having surgery. It is all over whelming but consider her very lucky. I went in with the coiling plan but knew there was a chance that I would have to also have the new pipeline device (ped) I did not know until I woke that I did end up having both. The coils were not staying in so that is when they decided to pipeline. I am still in my 6 month recovery. I am very thankful they had this new device. I wish you and your wife the very best. I know its a very scary thing to go thru. I know how you are feeling. But remember it was a good thing it was found and it is fixable. God bless. Deb

Frank,

Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction, soon this will all be behind you.

Peace, Janet

Thanks Deb,

Any down side since your surgery?

Thanks Janet, Some really great people here, lucky to have found this site.

Recommended coiling with both Neurosurgeon and Interventionalist...however, both were there through coiling surgery because there is always a chance they get up there and can't coil...so I wanted to then be clipped...~ Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

Frank, No down side. I do have some aches in the area of the aneurysm but I think its all part of the healing. I feel very blessed. I did research on my doctor and the hospital. I felt very confident. Ask lots of questions. God bless, deb