New to group, questions!

Hi all and thank you for your warm welcome. I have some questions for you all, you have so much knowledge. Recently, I've been having problems with my right ear so an ENT doc ordered an MRI and this is when the aneurysm was discovered. They told me on Thurs of last week Dec 8. I have been referred to a Neurosurgeon but so far they have yet to call with an appt. I'm told the aneurysm is 3x5mm in the left external carotid. Not sure if any of that is good or bad news relative to the situation. Anyway I have had some neck stiffness with pain behind my right ear and down to the right nape of my neck but no headaches or any other symptoms at least that I am aware of. How long does it typically take for the Neurosurgeon to get in touch with you?I called their office today and they have a copy of my results from the MRI already at their office. I'm wondering if I should start to look for a Dr on my own, needless to say my husband and family (not to mention myself) are anxious to speak with them and get some answers. Anyway thanks for reading and any advice/suggestions you can offer. You guys seem like a real caring bunch, glad I found you, nothing like support from people who have been through or going through your same situation.

Wow, They moved very fast Jo, that's awesome! I feel like they are dragging their feet in my situation, but I've never needed to get an appointment with a Neurosurgeon. Its almost been a week already and still no one from this Neurosurgeons office has even called to schedule an appointment. Seeing how fast they moved in your situation makes me want to contact a different Neurosurgeon. I will be on the phone tomorrow looking for another surgeon, its already Thursday and I don't want to go through another weekend wondering when I will get an appointment. Thank you so much for all your help and encouragement.

Hi There,

Yes you need to be proactive in your care, and I agree, its sounds as though there's some definate foot dragging going on.I would definately seek another opinion , and there's no reason not to . I would be rather pushy in fact, and why shouldn't you be! This is your brain, not theirs, and you deserve some answers here.

You said you had an MRI...which is great for many things, however an Angiogram with contrast dye or an MRA with contrast is considerably more detailed and will give the Neurosurgeon a much finer view of whats going on, as these are tests designed specifically for a look at the blood vessels.

So if I were in your shoes, yes , I'd be actively seeking another Neurosurgeon! My best to you, peace, Janet

Hello, welcome. Were you told external carotid? The external carotid artery is entirely outside the skull so wouldn't have the same brain risks. The internal carotid is inside the skull. It is arteries inside the skull where rupture can cause blood around the brain (subarachnoid haemorrhage). I wonder if you have been misinformed about site of the aneurysm. You might just want to check with your ENT as the situation may not be quite as urgent or worrying as you fear. Either way it is good aneurysms are found before they rupture. I hope you get the appointment soon so you have a better understanding of the problem and any treatment possibilities.

Again Welcome...and often this seems the way it goes...once it is found and you get a Doctor...it is slow till the next step arises...but often we have to make it happen...sad, but true...Call back to the referring Doctor's office and insist on getting an appointment...also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an appointment with another surgeon for a 2nd opinion...

You will find through this journey, you must be your own Medical advocate...or people will drag it out...Thoughts out to you ~ Colleen

You have received such great advice here. I did not receive a referral. I told my neurologist that I already had a hospital in mind and would call for an appt myself. I went home that afternoon and called and made the appt it was a week and half later. Things moved fairly quickly. My CTA that found the aneurysm was done July 16’ 2012 and I had 3 appts and cerebral angiogram in the next month and my surgery was done September 17. I have learned to be my own advocate in every aspect of my health. I was the one that picked up the radiology report that stated that I had an incidental find of an aneurysm. My cardiologist that ordered the CTA never called me with results. I never assume that my doctors will do anything. And I never ever assume that no news is good news. Please make as many phone calls as it takes to get an appt with a neurosurgeon. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
God bless
~ Carol

Yes very great advice indeed, I appreciate all of your replies. After speaking with Jo, Thursday evening I immediately got on the phone and made a bunch of phone calls Friday morning. I picked up my CD on Friday and have an appointment this coming Thursday.

You are right about being your own advocate, I'm in the medical field and I am well aware that the squeaky wheel ALWAYS gets the grease. If you don't fight for your own health often no one else will.

By the way the Neurosurgeon that I was referred to called me back with an appointment date of January 29th 2014. He must be joking if he thinks I will wait for him that long to get some answers, he's not the only Neurosurgeon around. I will hang on to the appointment for now though, just in case I can't get in to see someone else sooner for a second opinion.

Again thanks all for your concern, advice and encouragement. May God bless and keep you on your journey to wellness!