More Tests tomorrow!

Hi all,

I am worried tonight about going into Hospital in the morning. It's only as a day case for this Synacthen test, because of the is tumor on my pituitary gland. I don't feel great and was thinking of postponing but after speaking with the nurse on the ward today, I am unsure.She said it was crucial I had the test because I could develop Addition disease. It's 7 weeks this Wednesday since I had my brain anurysim surgery. I have had the feeling of my skull being compressed some days as though there were 2 steel plates either side of my head. Other times I get sudden shooting pains. I suppose it's all part of the healing process but just feel drained of all energy.

Gotcha in my thoughts ... keep us posted... on your test and results...~ Colleen

Thinking about you...~

Are you having a long or short synacthen test? Both mean a blood sample followed by an injection of synacthen. The injection is into muscle, which has potential for being a bit painful, but I've never had a patient complain that it is bad. Then there are further blood samples (at 30 mins post injection for the short, and at intervals up to 24 hours for the long). There are very few reported side effects from synacthen. Go and have the test, it will guide thm on whether you'd feel better with cortisol replacement. Shortage of cortisol could be what is making you not 'feel great', so it is worth finding out.

Judith

Hi Colleen,I wasn't feeling too well so I am having the test the week after next. I booked to see my neurosurgeon who a is really lovely man and I saw him today.He explained I am booked for an MRA in the Autumn, to check my coiled anurysim and said should I need surgery on my pituitary tumor, he will not have to open my skull as I had envisaged, but will go through my nostrils. He told not me not to worry as I am going to be monitored very closely with 6 monthly MRI's to check it's growth and when I have had the synacthen test, it may turn out I can have hormone treatment. He said also if my pituitary tumor were to grow downwards,it can be left alone. Also they have no idea what it is filled with,in some cases it is filled with blood which the body absorbs and it will then go away on it's own without treatment. I will also will be seeing an Ophthalmologist, who will monitor my vision incase the tumor grows upwards and touches the optic nerves. He said the reason for this, is that the tumor is so slow growing my sight would be affected over time and I would not realise it happening. I feel great now after it all being explained clearly and I am no longer worried.

Hi Judith,It's a short synacthen test that I'm booked for. It's good to know that there are not many reported side effects . After seeing the neurosurgeon I feel so much better.He is very good at explaining and takes his time, so you fully understand everything. I was a little worried about taking hormones or having some injected, having had major problems when I tried taking the contraceptive pill years back, but he explained that it would be hormones replaced that my body needed, just like a diabetic requires insulin. I have been having severe night sweats for years,having to strip the bed each morning as the sheets are soaked. I was told after thyroid tests were normal that it was the perimenopause. Maybe it's connected to my pituitary tumor.

Hi Eve...thanks for the update. I am so sorry that you he so much going on, but glad you have such a good and nice neurosurgeon...Rest and Feel better...~ Colleen