Mom update!

Hello all!As any of you know,Mom went into ICU for a ruptured annie 39 days ago.She has a shunt put in,and was recovering quickly.We then transferred her to a Bellingham care facility for rehab.After about 4 days in there,she got rushed back to Seattle ICU for high fever,blood pressure and heart rate.She turned out to have meningitis in her stunt,so they removed and placed a new one in.She s very confused and had a pretty bad night last night.Anyone get meningitis before??

I have not dealt with it, but I hope that your mom gets better soon. What hospital is she at? I was at Harborview for my surgery.

Terri

Praying for your Mom

oh Dear just what you needed~~keeping you and mom in our thoughts and prayers. That is such a shame! my heart goes out to her and you. Thank you for the update and i sure hope next one is super positive~~

Hi,

I had an infected shunt ( although meningitis was never mentioned) and this occurred about 2 months after placement of the shunt...In my case I was in screaming pain as it seriously felt like some little devils were in my stomach trying to escape by way of sharpened knives--more pain then I'd ever before been in. I ofcourse landed back in the hospital, and the doctors tried like hell to treat this infection with antibiotics, but after 2 weeks of me still screaming in pain, the antibiotics clearly were not working and they needed to go to Plan B. Plan B was removal of the shunt. Viola, my infection was gone.

With any sort of recent brain trauma and with placing the shunt, many times this is where things can get really dicey regarding germs and bacteria managing to creep in and the end result can be just what your Mom has gone thru . I hope and pray for her total recovery , it can be hard on a older person to endure such chaos. My mother, at the age of 55, contracted meningitus, and although her recovery was slow she did recover %100. Peace to you and your family as you go thru this difficult time, Janet

Prayers and Thoughts out to your mom...~ God Bless ~ Colleen

So glad they caught it early. Praying for your mom.

~ Carol

I am so sorry... prayers for your mom and your family.

Shannon

Mom has spoken about two words in a week.They are scheduled to put in new shunt thursday.Mixed reviews with nurses about her recovery.One nurse said she cannot feel any emotions,yet said when family was there,she became alive and talked.I do believe in healing through family and love,but stuck in canada till next week when i go see her.Please,can anyone tell me if she will be able to be her again?I dont expect miracles,i know she wont be the woman with the vodka drink and smoke in hand(thank god)and i know she may be a bit slower,but i am feeling discouraged.i want my mom back.xo

hi melodies! I also did not speak--this takes a long time, Peoples words didn't make sense etc etc, Hang in there better days are coming! Look ahead the present is not too encouraging I know but it does get better. Keeping you in thoughts and prayers!

Thanx Ron.

Shunt surgery scheduled for tomorrow.Glad to know confusion and being non verbal are apart of this battle.

praying now! you can also post in the group- upcoming procedures, thanks for the update~one step at a time, hang in there Melodies~~

my nephew did as a baby, its a serious infection.

Sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery tomorrow.

Terri

Hi there,sorry to hear about your mom.I am new to this site. My sister just had a ruptured aneurysm a week ago. They did the clipping method and also clipped an unruptured one. Drs. are talking about putting a permanent shunt in. There have been setbacks and complications. Any words of advice or encouragement? My siblings and I are taking turns going to Fla. to be with her and her devistated husband. My turn to go down is the 26th. and good luck to your mom.

Thank you, Jeanie