Missing my mom

Hi everyone. A little over two months ago, my mom had a brain aneurism rupture, followed by a stroke (2 days later). The doctors told my family, (just my dad and I) that it was a miracle she even made it too the hospital in time. The doctors then told us about the coiling procedure which was going to be performed that night. I’ll never forget one doctor telling us, “Ill be honest with you, it looks very grave.” My heart was broken as I sat next to my mom, all I remember is breaking down and praying to The Lord to please not to take my mother.

It took a little over 5 hours, but the coiling procedure went well. My mom was in a coma for about 30 days before she really started waking up and looking around. When she was in a coma, I would come in and sit with her all day, everyday, talking and praying, playing her favorite Elvis music. Some nurses said I should go home, that she won’t remember any of this if she wakes up, but I stayed anyways.

After she was stable, she was transferred to a long term acute care hospital, where she still is now. It’s been a little over a month and she is much more alert, tracking, trying to engage, and following some commands. (She responds much better to us than the doctors and nurses) They have just started with the speaking valve this week, which is going well. She hasn’t moved much, (she is very stiff) besides her hands and she is starting to move her arms more.

Overall I’m staying pretty strong and positive. Today I heard her voice for the first time in 2 months, and I cried. I get a little scared when I hear the occupational therapist say “well basically after 6 months is whatcha get, or how they are going to turnout”. I hated when the doctors told me (when she started to wake from the coma) “well she should be following some commands by now or moving more”. It was just so discouraging. But she is moving at her own pace and getting a little better everyday.

As you can probably tell, my mom was my best friend. She is so full of love, and she loved me and my daughter so much, we were each other’s worlds. I have a fear that, when she comes out of this, we won’t be as close as we once were, or that she won’t love my daughter and I the same. Sounds stupid but everyone keeps telling me “you know she will be a different person right? She won’t be the same as she was before.” I’ve read it many times too, and it worries me. I don’t know what they mean. I pray everyday that she will still love us the same, and we will have that relationship like before… Anyways I would love to hear how everyone feels about this. I feel so lost without her.

hi lbc! so sorry, i think the love will prevail and have never heard of losing love but i'm sure it has happened, Everyone is different and happy to report love gained rather than less. keeping you all in thoughts and prayers~~

Hey Chris,

I totally agree with what Jim said, whack that nurse and totally disregard what she came off with ! I was in a coma for 6 weeks in 2006 after a rupture/coil/etc. They told my husband that i'd have to remain in a rehab center for at least a year IF I ever came out of the coma....He was there daily, talking to me, talking talking..The nurses thought it was hopeless, and he caught a few nurses crying more then once when they watched him talking to me..

I came out of the coma...I was fortunate and was able to waik myself out that hospital and go home within a week of 'awakening'...no rehab..and the love you fear that may be missing or gone? No, I'm sure its still there! Granted your moms recovery will take some time, no doubt about it...But love won't leave you or her, things may be different...for awhile, but don't give up the faith ....and filter out the ones who drag you down with their 'know it all' attitudes, because beleive me they do NOT know it all.

Peace and huggs to you,

Janet

This is such a long journey...read many Survivor stories here at BAF and you will see that many were like your mom and are functioning today...no not the same...but can anyone be the same after something so horrific...Loving your mom...will mean so much to her and her recovery...I have changed greatly since this journey began...but one thing...I love more than I ever thought possible...~ sending out a hug and prayer ~ Colleen

~ thank you for sharing ~

Thank you all for your positive and uplifting comments! I’m so happy I found this page and I feel so comforted by everyone’s personal stories!

Thank you Sue! (That’s actually my moms name too). You know three days into this, or I guess it was after the stroke, I completely broke down on my couch. I cried and prayed, I don’t even have words for it. Then, I had a feeling from inside, I felt everything was going to be okay. I can’t describe it only that I stopped crying, got up, got dressed and went down to the hospital to go comfort my dad. Things have been getting better ever since, little by little every day.

Maybe you guys can help me with something. My mom has a trachea, and The speech therapist has been coming in this week working with her, but only for 30 min a day. She is tolerating the speaking valve just fine, but since she is not initiating talking all the time, they cant come in and work with her until she does. (Insurance won’t pay for it I guess) She can talk, (or mouth things clearly) but just not on command, or when the therapist comes in. I just want them to start working with her on other things like swallowing, eating, all that stuff. How come sometimes she will talk to us, other times she won’t? When she is panicked, scared, or angry she mouths especially clearly. But when the therapist asks, she may try once and that’s it. I just wish I could explain to her to talk more so we can get going on taking that trachea out of her throat. I could tell it bothers her immensely. :(. Will it just come with time?

Hi,

you know, I had a trache when I came out of my 6 week coma/coil...and i do recall clearly that the trache was really, really a pain to have to deal with ! I think mine was taken out pretty well within the 1st or 2nd day of my 'awakening'...I know it was near impossible to talk and I could only mouth my words when I had the trache. What is the specific reason she still has it? I agree, getting the trache taken out would (likely) speed her recovery--

As I'm sure she doesn't care for it any more then I did!

Peace, Janet

Hi Janet,
I’ve been pushing for the trache to come out since last week, so this morning they capped it off to see how she would do on her own, breathing secretions and what not. She did GREAT! No problems whatsoever! She even started talking a little more! So the respiratory team said they usually cap it off for 4 or so days, just to be sure she can handle it. But then one of the doctors came in and mentioned going to a smaller trache, but I really don’t think she needs it. She sleeps and is overall MUCH more comfortable without it.

I think she still has it because she isn’t really talking all the time, and they want her to be able to communicate if she can’t breathe or something’s wrong? It seems like she follows commands on some days, and on others she just isn’t in the mood. She is talking more and more, especially when physical therapy comes in ;). Today she said “where am I?” But anyways I hope they keep it out tomorrow it seems it would be regressing putting a smaller trache in!