I've paused 9 months after discovering 6X7mm Left ICA aneurysm

Race: Asian
History: non-smoking, non-alcohol, no high blood-pressure (no drugs either). Family History: Two other siblings are also screened for having aneurysms. (smaller sized)
Findings: Unruptured supraclinoid left Internal Carotid Artery, (behind my left eye) 6X7mm no neck, 9 months ago
However, CTA last month revealed the size changed (smaller) 5X5X6mm, 2mm neck (good or bad news?)

==================
My question:
I am afraid of clipping, but it seems to be a very ‘once and for all’ solution for me.

Saw some doctors, clipping, stent-coiling, and pipeline are 3 top choices.
Has anyone clipped with an unruptured aneurysm?

I know my body is very sensitive even to pain medicine. It usually halt all my system (input, but no output. :frowning: ) I vomited after colonoscopy. That was probably why I never do drugs.

I want to clip but my husband and siblings are more scared by it. I read PEP pipeline postings and some of you would take years to recover (or back to normal self). That is so uncertain!?

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance.

Depending on your resources, insurance, and flexibility, I recommend consultation from hospital that specializes in aneurysm. On the West Coast, UCSF and Barrows Neurological Institute (BNI). I am sure that there are great hospitals/Neuro-Surgeons in the MidWest and East Coast. Your case will be reviewed by the full staff of Neuro-Surgeons so you will get an unbiased opinion on the best approach. There are Pro/Cons on each approach. Also, data shows that the success rate is much higher with these research hospitals that specializes on aneurysm treatment.

Thanks for the recommendation. Because of the findings, my husband actually switched to PPO so I could have more freedom seeking for opinions. What a blessing!

I actually sent my CTA to Barrows for their online 2nd opinion (didn’t see the doctors face to face). They said, “clipping”.

I also went to Mayo (Clipping, or stent/coiling). I almost just did it in Mayo. But my family is as frightened as I am. Craniotomy sounds ‘terrible’ to them and I don’t blame them.

My personality would pick clipping since it seems to be once and for all type of thing. (of course, let’s hope there is little to none complication). But then, the healing, memory loss, headache, etc. Yikes!!

My coward nature would pick nothing. Facing the ideal 1% rupture rate.

My educated self would pick pipeline since it will fix for now, hope for less complication. (I am sure I will have reactions to drugs. I am sensitive to nickel, etc).

What a decision?

**There is no perfect decison. I expected a craniotomy, but instead two top neurosurgeons recommended coiling with a stent. Since I had no choice I read what others wrote about their experiences, so I knew that I could face it just as they did. So far I have had an angiogram, the surgery and then three follow up angiograms, with another in two years. My aneurysm is not fully occluded, but evidently the coils have not compacted or moved, so the outcome is within an acceptable range and I don’t need more surgery, at least not at this time. For me taking Plavix and aspirin were the worst part, because I was covered in black bruises. The daily large aspirin has thinned my skin, but I hope now that I am only taking an 81mg aspirin my skin will rebound. You are fortunate to have choice and to have enough information about all the procedures to make an informed decision.

Bibewelove,

I also recommend that you keep a journal as you take this journey to address your unruptured aneurysm. As you read others post on their experience, there is a range of no issue to severe on-going issues. In my experience in keeping a journal, it was helpful so I can clearly articulate my issues to my physicians. Also, it helps me track what has improved as well as issues that remained or worsened. Unfortunately, in my case, I had a ruptured aneurysm and SAH by the brain stem. So, I am dealing with central nervous system disorder involving my vestibular, ocular and auditory systems.

There are also some good resources online to understand aneurysm. TAAF is a great resource. http://www.taafonline.org/conditions/aneurysm The medical advisory board of TAAF are UCSF Neurologist and Neuro-Surgeons which are some of the best in the country. Depending on your relationship with NeuroSurgeon, he may explain in detail the procedure. I found the exact procedure that was done on me. As I am consulting other physician, it was helpful explaining the exact procedure.

Good luck to you and hope that you have a successful procedure that will save your life.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27417905-

Great advice!

I am keeping a note now. Thanks for the tips. It’s hard to find unruptured patients with clipping stories.

You are brave. I can’t imagine anyone go through ruptured aneurysms. It’s like returning from another dimension! So frightening!

Keep up your hope for recovery!

I want to express my most sincere appreciation to all of your comments. I did ‘clipping’ 3 weeks ago! (At Barrow’s neuroscience institute - BNI, Dr. Lawton)

Couldn’t believe it, but it was done already. I submitted a second ‘second’ opinion to BNI to see if there is any difference between the 1st and 2nd submission (more CTA, MRA done). The result remained the same - clipping or pipeline.

This time, I decided to visit the doctor face to face. And, I found my strength and reason. I knew he had to be the doctor if I’d ever decide to clip my aneurysm.

I honestly believe finding the ‘right’ doctor is 99% important to a successful operation (in my case, clipping). I am bad to anesthetic and general medicines. Any long term medicine taking would tick off my normal well-being. This craniotomy proved it, again.

I suffered bad ‘output’ after the craniotomy. However, my belief is that it’ll improve in time.

As for the pain of the incision, it’s nothing compared to my ‘bottom’. :smiley:

This is to give you all my love and appreciation. Also, to those who are still searching for the best treatment for your problems. Know your bodies, may God give you the strength to make the best decisions for your medical needs.

Thank you all!!

Dr. Michael Lawton is one of the top Neuro-Surgeon’s in the country. He was the chief Neuro-Surgeon at UCSF and now the CEO of BNI. He has performed over 5000 operations. I met him several times at lectures at UCSF. His head nurse Lisa retired from UCSF but is still active with TAAF. It is important to have a Neurosurgeon who will project confidence. This confidence comes with experience, skill and advancements in research and new techniques. I am very happy for u, Bibewelove. It is a traumatic experience but getting to to the other side of the tunnel is amazing relief that you will carry for the rest of your life. It is like having a second Birthday. Good luck on your recovery.

1 Like

It is my 2nd life typing this post. You are absolutely right!

I am extremely lucky, my husband switched the insurance so I may have the freedom to find Dr. Lawton.

I knew it’d be him when I saw him. I’ve never had that determination before in my life. For that, I thank God to prepare Dr. Lawton for me and for all the patients who need him. What have I done to deserve him? He is a real genuine surgeon. I don’t know how he did it, but he earned every cell of my heart of appreciation. I felt humbled of being treated. I just wish my son would become a good physician when he enters medical school, just like Dr. Lawton.

I plan to go back teaching again. I am looking at my life so differently now. I smile everyday, whether I am in pain or not!

Love you!! Thank God!!

Amy

Hi Bibewelove,

I want to share “Aneurysm/AVM Awareness Walk” that TAAF sponsors every year. It is a walk to raise awareness as well as fund Aneurysm research. TAAF is closely associated with UCSF Neuro-Surgery and Neurology. Dr. Michael Lawton spoke to the group as his farewell before departed for BNI. Many of the top Neuro-Surgeon, Researchers, and Neurologists participate in the walk. You can also meet many former patients, survivors of both ruptured and unruptured aneurysm to hear their stories. As you are in recovery, you can get a lot of information in this phase. The walk is great as you walk underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. If you Son is interested in Medical School, you can visit one of the top Medical Schools in the Country (UCSF). I recommend getting an Airbnb by the Marina. http://www.taafonline.org The event usually takes place in May. In the website, there is a photo of the walk. I am the one holding the fox dog.

1 Like

2Fight!

Oh… cute fox dog. I look forward to the walk if I come back to California that time. Thanks for the information. This forum and the TAAF awareness walk helps people immeasurably. I just hope my son is good enough to be considered to enter the top med school like UCSF. (dreaming first, at least). :slight_smile:

Bibewelove,

Sometimes, just visiting the research hospital UCSF on Parnassus and Mission Bay will give your Son inspiration to become a fine physician. My Late Father was Professor of Pediatrics at UCSF and graduated of Harvard Medical School. The next phase of recovery is sharing your story. Aneurysm is considered a rare disease so it does not get the research dollars like AIDs, Cancer, and Heart Disease so it is important to share your story so others can get the proper help and make the right decisions. I posted the TAAF video above as it features Dr. Michael Lawton. BAFound, TAAF and Phil Niekro Aneuryms/AVMs are are important Non-Profits furthering the support and education for Aneurym/AVM patients.

2Fight,

Yes. I checked with my son, he did apply to UCSF… we’re just crossing our fingers. You are blessed to have a father who were so knowledgeable and capable. It’s a mission for physicians to care for patients, it’s even a tougher mission for rare disease physicians. I will be more active after recovering and I will be sharing my story with my church friends to start. Thank you again! Please keep up the great work! We need people like you!!

What you do is so helpful for sharing and encouraging other patients and caregivers. I want to say it again, ‘thank you!!’. I shared your posts with my friends. Most of my friends never heard of ‘an aneurysm’. Unfortunately, I was one of them before learning about it myself incidentally. Education does make a big difference. Thanks again! Keep up with the good work!

1 Like