Coiling or clipping?

I have a 6mm aneurysm at the carotid and opthalmic arteries possibly with a daughter sac. I have to get an angiogram done first but I’m curious to know if anyone had a similar aneurysm and problems with it, and what was the outcome as far as surgery?

The angiogram is the gold standard and will verify size, etc., of the brain aneurysm...I hope someone can help you out...I had a 9mm brain annie on my basilar tip coiled....and a 2mm aneurysm on my ophthalmic artery...which is too small to have surgery...so I am on a watch...

If you want to know more between the difference of coiling and clipping, please view the information provided at the BAF website....click below...lots of great information...

http://www.bafound.org/

~ Colleen

Jenny I don't know if I will be much help but my annies were in the same places, left neck carotid and left ophthalmic artery. My carotid was small but they clipped that during surgery to control the blood flow to the brain during surgery so they left the clip there rather than remove it. The left ophthalmic was 9 mm. It was a size and shape that coiling was not an option. I have two clips on it. I think if coiling was an option I probably would have chosen clipping anyway. My sister had an annie rupture about 7 years ago and that would have been a factor in my decision. Clipping is more permanent to me so I would have gone that route. Take a look at the options and talk to your neurosurgeon and make the decision that is right for you. There are risks for both. I think the obvious big risks for clipping is the invasiveness of the procedure and with an ophthalmic artery there is a big risk of loss of vision in that eye. Big decision only you can make. Email me if you want to talk. This group is great for some much needed HUGS! Carol

Hi Jenny! there has neen some on here with daughter domes and were successfully treated I will try to direct them here, hang in there, keep the faith and we will pray too~

Do you have the option of having the pipeline embolization device (PED) placed?

Sandy, UPENN hospital doesn’t offer it and Jefferson hospital didn’t take my insurance. So I have to have one of the other two procedures done.