How do I make things better?

I’m sorry everyone for the delayed response.
My sister went in last Tuesday to have her skull put back on - a craniotomy in reverse? Anyway, she came through that well, but on Thursday began to have seizures. The immediately put a drain in, because apparently she had hydrocephaly. We don’t know for how long, but what happened is that once the brain was enclosed again, it (the brain) didn’t know what to do with the extra fluid. The surgeon suspects she has had some degree of hydrocephaly all along. We then proceeded with a permanent shunt placement. She has not been eating, so they put a feeding tube in her yesterday. So what was supposed to be a skull replacement (2 nights per the surgeon) has turned in to over a week hospital stay and she is not doing well. Complication after complication. We are very worried now that she will not pull through, and quite honestly, she didn’t want to still be here with the way things were before the surgery (no left side function, unable to walk, toilet, stand, etc.). I just want her to get better, or not. This in-between is hell for her, and of course us. Meanwhile, the bills pile up and Medicaid has yet to kick in, and we’re overwhelmed and exhausted and angry and oh so tired. I apologize for the negativity - I really just needed to vent. Thank you all for being so supportive.

2 Likes

Venting is good, never apologize as we all understand the need here! Make sure you’re taking breaks away from your sister and so things you love. Even a couple hours of enjoying life and not focusing on your sister will recharge you. Please trust me on this, you really need to spend time with what you love to do.

I found this article Indiana Disability Benefits: Your Guide for 2022

Go to #2 and it’s quite an eye opener for how long it takes folks in Indiana to get their disability approved. I wonder if she can get emergency Medicaid for the bills, talk to her attorney. I would also call or email her Senator’s aide over Health Care I think it’s called. It’s what I did with one call and I was finally approved within a week. It took me a couple of years. I believe Senator Mike Braun would be the one to contact as he is on the Committee for Health etc Committee Assignments | Senator Mike Braun. I believe they are in Session right now so you will need to call the office in DC. Unfortunately, they will exhaust everything she owns down to $2000 to pay the bill and there’s not much that can be done as she isn’t married. I found this - What Assets Can You Have and Still Qualify for Medicaid in Indiana? | Indianapolis Estate Planning Attorneys

look under “Will I qualify for Medicaid.”

Medicaid is used for long term care for those who don’t know. Each State has different rules I think though they do have to follow Federal Guidelines. It’s helpful to have a plan as the article says prior to the need for LTC to protect assets. Our attorney was quite adamant that should we both need to go into LTC, our beneficiaries are not to allow the hospital to release us until she has been contacted.

I hope you and your sister find relief in whatever way the Universe thinks best. I will continue to keep you both in my thoughts.