R

Relationships?

Oh my still trying to figure this out. How can I get my partner to understand that I am not the same? He thinks all is ok since the doctor said he got everything. He also thinks that I didn’t have an injury to my brain. I had a SAH and 2 strokes from it.

Jaxie - to have returned so early back to work speaks volumes on your tenacity. Have you talked to him about the events leading up to the rupture, the rupture and the ensuing strokes? Maybe he just wants to be in denial for a bit. Maybe he needs to know that you’re going to be okay, so he’s going with what the Doc said. Does he go with you to the doctor appointments? Perhaps this will help - http://www.bafound.org/recovery

There’s lots of good info on the BAF web site also You Tube has some good things from UCLA I think there’s links to it from the BAF. They have a lot of information. Might be worth your time to take a look.

Thank you Moltroub. I didn’t want to go back yet I was not given a choice. Go back or lose my job. But I can barely make it through 4 or 5 hours. I will see if he will look at the site. Maybe he can get a little understanding as to what actually happened to me and then begin to be more patient with me.

Sorry about the finances, I think we all understand that aspect of recovery. I also lost my job when my twelve weeks was up on FMLA. Lucky for me, I ruptured in Nov so in Jan it started over. And although my wonderful Neurosurgeon Dr. Stacey Quintero.-Wolfe said I couldn’t go back, it was like reality setting in when they let me go due to medical reasons. It was the first thing I felt any emotion about since my rupture. I really thought I could muster up and get back as I loved my job. I loved helping families.

Fatigue is normal, make sure you get a lot of rest. And eat protein. Has your doctor said anything about keeping well hydrated and eating protein? When I don’t feel good I don’t eat. My partner just told me the other day and I’m sure it was said to me before, that they were going to put a feeding tube down me if I didn’t start eating more. One of the Nurses even paid for me a Japanese take out if I would let them put in the Central line and A-line. She refused to take any money for it. Apparently that’s what the catalyst was that got me eating again. Dietician, Nurses, Doctors, Med Student all told me 90 grams of protein each day. In Spa Treatment aka ICU, I was given a high protein ice cream at least twice a day. So I supplement my meals with a protein drink that has 30 grams or a protein bar that has 20 grams. And now I have to eat my protein first, before I can have the vegetables. Sometimes at night I’ll eat Edamame (soy beans) like popcorn, we have lots of nuts for when I want a snack as well.

I still have to drink three 32oz bottles of Gatorade every day. I’m not a big fan, though I like the G2 better. A new friend suggested watering it down which has helped. I just pay careful attention that I’m not over hydrating or under hydrating by looking at my hands or legs. If my skin is dry, or urine is yellow, I’m under hydrated. If the urine is like water with no color and my hands are plump, I’m either fine or over hydrated. I can’t explain the over hydration well because I’ve only done it twice but it makes me feel bad.

Also have the doctor explain recovery to you and your partner. Take notes or have him take notes. That might help. Maybe the doctor has a brochure or some papers the doctor or nurse can give to you both.

Ask any questions you both need, someone here will be able to answer. We’ve all become personal experts on our recovery journey. Good Luck!

Jaxie...you amaze me....returning to work after rupture and 2 strokes and, procedure/treatment..

I noted on your welcome page that Moltroub set up the "Resources" group beginning with a Rehab Brochure from a Rehab Center in Florida...easy to read....good index...

Was your partner or family the responsible party for you while hospitalized? Would the "responsible" party make a diff on what the doc(s) covered with who?

What is addressed on your discharge record; for example, status, any prescriptions; any limitations based on status? Is vision and/or hearing noted?

Did you have any rehab while hospitalized?

How long were in the hospital?

What rehab procedure and/or testing was done for you?

Have you been referred to a neurologist?

Has neuropsychology testing been done or recommended re: memory, cognition, reading, hearing, vision?

Who determined your ability to return to work before neuropsych testing was done?

RE: the type of work you do, are there any safety issues? Any error issues?

Are you working only part time now?

Has your manager/boss/human resources addressed your status? Prayers you are with a good company and good manager...

Have you been back to a PCP?

Besides fatigue, has your hearing and vision been tested?

What is listed on your discharge records?

Was driving addressed with you?

This may seem like an overwhelming list of questions...prayers you take each one at a time...

to ask your doctor(s)..involved. .

Those of us who have survived the minimally invasive procedure(s), do not have limitations readily displayed to others...e.g. we can shower/wear clean clothes...and, eat/swallow... and walk, even if we trip and/or fall down stairs...so clumsily...

Prayers you will have strong support of partner, family and friends...and, you definitely will have as much as possible from here online...not quite the same as holding a hand or giving a hug...

We imagine that across the way...

P.S....print off a copy of these pages if you cannot get a partner/others to sit/review online...

Jaxie said:

Oh my still trying to figure this out. How can I get my partner to understand that I am not the same? He thinks all is ok since the doctor said he got everything. He also thinks that I didn't have an injury to my brain. I had a SAH and 2 strokes from it.