Finding it hard

Hi

Mum has been in a nursing home now for over 2 weeks now.Some days she is in great spirits other days she says she just wants to go to sleep and die. She has cortical blindness and no short term memory . She is only 65. I know the lord has spared her but can't get my head round why he has left with such disabilities. I really don't know how to help anymore? I understand the brain needs time to heal but this is absolute turmoil for mum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

Did you join the Caregiver group yet, Melanie. That is a great place to get support for what you are going through. Please try it -- the link is in the Communities list on the Main Page.

Keep visiting, ask the doctor and nursing staff how you can help your mum, join Caregivers support group on Facebook if you do Facebook. Link is on main page.

hi melanie and Im so sorry your mum has been so badly affected. Maybe you could take some audio books in for her to listen to? It might help pass the time for her. I guess all you can focus on is what would make her feel better in the moment, what senses does she have left and how can she stay stimulated using those. Understand too that depression is very common after brain injury so often it may be from the damage and she may benefit from some medication etc. sometimes we just want to see an end point to the trauma but just try to take things one day at a time with her. She may show some improvement over time and it can take many months to happen, it's usually a very gradual process that seems like it isnt happening, but as you look back you start to see the improvement. Keep visiting and try to keep her spirits up. Im sure she appreciates it. hugs, and keep posting