High blood pressure with Pipeline

Hi. I just joined the group. My husband had a ruptured aneurysm in September 2020 and a Pipeline was placed about a week later. He is still on Plavix and aspirin. He has been doing well in rehab, but has been having some cognitive issues. A nurse noticed that he had been having high blood pressure readings and spoke to the doctor (a GP) who put him on Losartan. Almost immediately he has become fatigued to the point of not wanted to do therapy. His speech is also suddenly slurred and it seems like his mouth is very dry. He didn’t used to have high blood pressure, and basically the only food he’s had in the last 4 months is the stuff they’re giving him through his PET. My questions are, could the high blood pressure reading be an indication of something happening with the Pipeline, and secondly, what is the impact of Losartan or similar drugs on the Pipeline treatment? I’m freaking out over this. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Thank you and I’m glad I found you guys.

1 Like

Welcome MKuhn!

Sorry to hear your husband is having more issues on the BP meds. Having no knowledge of Losartan, I looked it up. Fatigue is one of the side effects., most notably with diabetics.

I always look to see if there is a cause and effect situation. There is one very small study that indicates BP does increase following a pipeline. Middle cerebral artery pressure changes following Pipeline flow diversion. I also found this insignificant study as well Cerebral foreign body reaction after carotid aneurysm stenting. That would lead me to reach out to the surgeon for more images. I would also talk to his GP at the rehab about the dosage and perhaps changing the type of meds to see if there are any improvements. Some doctors are amiable to discussion of their patients, others are not.

I hope some of this helps.

All the best,
Moltroub

2 Likes

Hello Mkuhn
Welcome! I understand how scary all this is and Moltroub is right about the high blood pressure and the body accepting the stent.
I have been on both sides my father had a ruptured aneurysm 20 years ago and I was his caregiver for months and had to monitor his blood pressure and therapy. 18 months ago I had a pipeline stent procedure for my unruptured aneurysm both were hard learning experiences.

When my pipeline stent was placed I thought I would be back to work in a couple of weeks but the brain heals very slowly patience will be your best friend it has taken me months to heal and I took plavix for a year and will be on lisinopril (for high blood pressure) and aspirin for life.

If his doctors goes by the same time line he should get his first check at 6 months having a scan to early will not show enough progress.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions and some medications have different side effects ask the nurses and doctors about any changes your husband has you should be able to understand why.

Keep up the good work you are doing great.

Ckollie

2 Likes

Sending prayers