High blood pressure med after aneurysm

Hi, I experienced a subarachnoid hemorrhage following a ruptured aneurysm in April 2012. Had a coiling procedure done. Still have a small aneurysm we are watching. Apparently it is hereditary. Both my grandmother (at 36) and maternal aunt (at 42) died as a result of aneurysms. I am still experiencing daily headaches. Most days, mild. Sometimes, they will be moderate to severe and last 2-3 days. My doc prescribed Verapamil (a high blood pressure med) in hopes of reducing vasospasms (blood vessel spasms) and hopefully less headaches. Anyone heard of this?

Like you I suffered a rupture back in 2010. Headaches lasted for quiet some time unfortunately. I was put on BP meds and went though 2 Costco size bottles of Tylenol before it got better. But one thing I am sure of, if my BP went up my headaches came back with a vengeance. I am no doctor, but the reasoning fits with what I went through. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your response. Yes, your reasoning does make sense. When you say, if your BP goes up your headaches return; does this mean you are mostly headache free now? I hope so, I am so tired of having headaches every day. Thanks again for the info!

No headaches to speak of lately. I very happy about that! My only issue is occasional dizziness. I used to spend days at a time off balance and dizzy. This has been from day one and is also affected by BP. Luckily its rare now and doesn't last too long. I hope one day it I am symptom free, but I am thankful for how far I have come.

Yes...I have heard that some Bp meds are suppose to help with headaches...I developed High Bp a year before my aneurysm...I tried a few different one's until one worked without problems...propranolol...it has helped with Bp and the headaches...They tried me on Verapamil...(good old Bp med)...however, I got swollen feet and hands on the med ... so they had to take me off...It will make you tired for a time, until your body adjusts...~

Colleen

Hi Teresa. Like Colleen I also am on the Verapamil. Been on it for 9 months now. My headaches went from mild to bedridden migraines with no let up and I would never go off it. I tried going off it but around 5 days later headaches started and I went right back on before they turned back into the migraines. For myself it took 1 month for the verapamil to start working and rid me of the migraines. Also I was told verapamil is used for the pressure coming from the heart. I know it has something to do with heart conditions even though I have nothing wrong. I would like to add that I am also on HBP meds (lisinopril) and I still cannot understand why my lisinopril bp med isn't enough to fix the migraines, but comprehention is NOT one of my best traits anymore.

Whether you stay on the verapamil or not let us know your results with the headaches. I wish you the best. Jeanne

Yes, me too. So blessed to be alive. For me, God is good,

Thank you Colleen. I have been on it for two weeks. Increased from 80 mgs day to 160. I actually wondered why I was feeling like I have been working out although I haven’t (after I increased the dose). Seems like my muscles are tired. It has gotten a little better after a few days. Thanks, again!

Will do! Thanks for your reply! :slight_smile: