Hello...limited activity question

I did not know this page or foundation existed. I was doing some search and stumbled across it. I had my aneurysm clipped 3 yrs ago. I was suffering from severe migraines for a year when my neurologist finally discovered what was causing me sooooo much pain.

I had a question about limited activities. I was told to resume normal activity but over the last few years following up with my dr she has mentioned a few things. I was told that if I have another pregnancy that I would have to have a c section. I guess due to the straighning that a vaginal delivery causes. I was also told that I could no longer scuba dive and not to do any heavy weight lifting.

I was curious to know if any of y’all have been advised not to do any other activities.

I had 2 aneurysms clipped a year ago. I also have an unruptured cerebral AVM (was 6 cm) that we're shrinking with Gamma Knife radiation. My surgeon never said I could NEVER Scuba again, but it was out of the question for my vacation in Puerto Rico last week.

I've never been into weight lifting--dance is my thing. I've only been to dance class a handful of times in the past year because I've been too tired trying to keep up with my workload (I teach special education reading classes.) An online buddy of mine had a ruptured aneurysm not long after I had my craniotomy. They were able to coil hers. She returned to weightlifting as soon as she could--she competes at body building.

At first ... it seems you don't know what you can and can't do...sometimes until you find out the hard way, my Neurologist explained to me...no heavy lifting, no unnecessary stress, no straining when going to the bathroom(GI Doctor took care of this problem), no smoking, no excessive drinking, ... no bungee jumping...hee~hee~ that wasn't going to happen with me...I feel like I am missing something...if I think of it...I will write to you...~

Colleen

Hi Breeze,

I was advised not to have children after my rupture and again when additional annies were found. I was also advised not to ski. When I wanted to go scuba diving during one of our cruise vacations, the limitations of liability of the diving company would not permit me to go.

Take care.

Carole

As far as I know, I wasn't given any restrictions. I'm a year post SAH/clip. I work out with a personal trainer. He is eagle eye in making sure I don't overdo, but still push myself to become stronger. I had weird feelings in my head from one of the machines that has you lift above your head. I think it was brought on by over using the muscles in the back of my neck. I did discover that I could do that machine comfortably by keeping my head pushed back against the head rest. I wonder if there is any good research on activities that might cause further damage. The Finnish research I read yesterday said smoking is the biggest issue. I wasn't quite sure I understood the statistic, but I believe it was saying that there wasn't even any indication that high blood pressure led to more aneurysms. I'd love to have someone else read that piece and see what they understood about it. The link is on the discussions I started on my profile page.

Something occurs to, is the Dr. male? I think men sometimes have issues about gynecological stuff.

I have a female dr. My surgeon is male but he didn’t tell me I wAsn’t allowed to do anything just my female neurologist. I did ask another neurologist about giving birth and she seemed to think that there wouldnt be a problem with having a vagianl delivery. It’s funny how every dr tells you something different. I just don’t want to be doing something that could cause more damage. I exercise often including jogging and never thought twice about it until recently. And I thought to myself… Geez I wonder if I’m allowed to be doing this. Constantly bouncing up and down along the pavement…I don’t know. So I thought I would see whAt you guys thought and as usual everyone has been told something a little different. I just wish it was more consistent among drs.