Hello Family

Hi everyone,

Sorry for not being more talkative but I just had my brain aneurysm clipped about three weeks ago. They did a craniotomy with her clipping and now I have a 4 x 4 steel plate in my head, that’s inches not feet, LOL. I’m going through some symptoms that are a little concerning but it’s a part of the deal I’m grateful that we found a surgeon that was so compassionate and so good at his job. Considering what I do for a living they have disqualified me from going back to work for six months I think that’s a good idea considering I have peoples lives in my hands and I’m just learning how to get started again with pretty much everything. Sometimes it’s hard to breathe when I walk and I get a little dizzy. I have some numbness in my feet they told me that can happen sometimes I’m grateful and I’m hopeful I hope all of you are well, God bless.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Hello Family!

Thank you for sharing,

I was scared when I was diagnosed. That was July 3rd 2020. I want you to know you can and will be ok. Do you have a neurosurgeon? We are here to help and it’s more than ok to feel and say whatever you feel. We are here.

1 Like

Hey Rich,
A craniotomy is an assault on the whole body and it takes time for everything to adjust. Somethings may come back perfect, other things can take time, LOTS of time. And some may not get back to ‘Normal’ at all. I say ‘Normal’ because for somethings I’ve had to learn a ‘New Normal’. If you’ve found yourself a good surgeon whom you’re comfortable with, that’s a huge plus and can make the journey so much easier.

It does seem a little ironic, spending your whole life assisting people only to end up being the one who needs assistance. I worked with people with disabilities for 15+yrs, teaching them independent living skills. In basic terms all the stuff we usually take for granted and then for me to end up being the one with the disability has been a real hard pill for me to swallow. In fact I didn’t want to accept it all, I fought against it. But the more I fought, the more my body pushed back. Eventually I learnt (with a kick in the pants from my wife) that I have to accept that this is about ‘as good as it gets’.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

Thank you, so much. Yes, his name is Dr. Raper at Baylor College of Medicine, St. Luke’s Hospital in Houston Texas. My angiogram is next week at that location. I am assuming that after that I will be given recommendations for treatment.

Mary

1 Like

You seem to be doing awesome! I had my brain aneurysm (and stroke) almost 19 years ago. At 3 weeks I was still in the hospital and couldn’t even talk! I’ve had two more craniotomies in the past four years. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK…May God bless you in your recovery just as he did me!

2 Likes

I’m assuming from your post you did not have rupture . That’s good! I have had 3 craniotomies 15 years ago, 1 for a ruptured aneurysm and 2 more for unruptured ones that were found. I didn’t have a metal plate, just mesh and screws. It did take a while for the healing, and I slept a lot. Get your sleep, stay hydrated, eat healthy and be patient. All will be well, but brain healing takes more time than some other healing. When I first got home from the last crainiotomy, I had no sense of taste or smell! That returned in time. I was also very clumsy…broken dishes😞

1 Like

Hi! I’m happy to see you’re writing so well at this point. I had an SAH in July 2012, clipping, and craniotomy two weeks later. I have five titanium plates and one of them is a pentagon which is pretty cool. I’m going in for an angiogram in a couple weeks. It’s always a little scary returning to the hospital, but I’m so grateful that I’m still working full time, enjoying my family and grandkids, and even in COVID times loving this wonderful world. Stay positive and give yourself some time to heal. I didn’t feel myself for a good year. My best to you!
Gigi

1 Like

I had a ruptured brain aneurysm 7 years ago, I survived and my wonderful surgeon did a coiling and I later had a flow diverter stent put in. Years of therapy and my only lasting symptoms are pain and numbness in my legs and feet. Just keep up the fight , remain positive and I hope each day brings you feeling better.

1 Like