Headaches and Fatigue after Coiling

I turned 50 on Jan. 15 of this year. I am a healthy, active person and was looking forward to this new chapter. On April 4th, I experienced a stroke and was hospitalized. On April 13th, I experienced another stroke and was hospitalized for 6 days. Through many tests, they found an anuerysm and decided that due to my life expectancy, coiling was a good idea. I had surgery on April 18th and they sent me home with a pamphlet saying that I may experience some discomfort. The headaches and fatigue are a real challenge and I have not been able to return to work yet. I keep thinking that I should just be tougher but am tired after very little activity. I have an amazing support group of famiily and friends but would like some feedback from people that have been through this experience.

Hi Pam,
You have been through so much in the last two months. It’s a true blessing and indication of your good outcome that you can be a bit impatient about how long it will take for your complete recovery. :slight_smile:

Speak with your doctor about the headaches and when its okay for you to go back to work. The fatigue is probably to be expected and should subside over the coming months. You may want to consider returning to work part time to ease back in.

Take care.

Carole

Thanks so very much Carol. I plan on returning to work in two weeks and will do so part time in the beginning. The dr. is thinking that it may also be migraine related, which is a new thing but I am not sure that it is what I am experiencing. I am keeping a headache chart and have taken some migraine meds but none seem to work and the medications are not recommended for someone who has had a stroke.

Hi Pam...You are so early in the journey healing...I had and continue to have migraines after coiling (never had until I was coiled) but in the beginning...of my healing I found myself falling asleep alot...the brain needs alot of rest in order to heal...I don't think it is a matter of tough or not...but a matter of you listening to your body ...

Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

Hi Pam, it is early days for you yet, I was operated on in March and still do not feel fit enough to return to work, I like you tire very easily and my headaches return if I try to concentrate too much, there is little information out there about aneurysm recovery and we are all different that is why this site is so amazing, I would just say don't be too hard on yourself and let your family and friends support you for a while, Jill xx

Hi Jill,

Thanks so very much for your response. I have tried going to the gym to increase my energy level but then get huge headaches after..so that is out for now. I may try yoga or walking. I am so greatful to be here but it is challenging when I can see 10 extra unwanted pounds on the scale. My friends and family have been so great and the only one who seems to be challenging the speed of my recovery is me. Have you been able to exercise at all or have you found anything that has helped with the headaches? I hope that you are having a pain free day....I am right now! Pam

i just had my third coiling procedure but they weren't able to add more coils . my annie ruptured a year ago and i have unusual headaches almost everyday . they don't last long they come and go throughout the day but hurt like hell . my annie is behing my right eye and sometimes i have pain in my eye .i have alsohad neck issues ever since the coiling . when turning myhead too quick it seems like it wants to lock up on me it crackles and hurts like hell . As far asbeing tired , I am alot of the time like now actually . i have a house I should be cleaning but can't quite get off my rear to get it done .lol .

Thanks for the response...have your doctors said that the pain is migraine related? My doctors are pointing me in that direction but I really dont think thats it. The medication doesnt help, just makes me more sleepy (like thats possible!!!).

Pam

Hi Pam,
I’ve been told that walking is the “best exercise” so please consider walking to buildup your strength. Also, please consider joining the exercise challenge group.

Carole

Hey Pam, I have had my second coiling and stent placed. You sound like you are trying to overdo it. DON'T do that. We have been though a lot of stress and truma. You need to rest and sleep because in order for your brain to heal you have to rest and sleep. Ease back in to walks and take a break when you become tired.

I have a question what did you mean when you said because of your life expectancy they coiled your anuerysm?

I don't have to many headached Thank God and I think it is because when I am tired I rest. Please take care of yourself.

Lots of Hugs!!!!

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany,

By Life expectancy, they meant that I was only 50 so I have a lot of years left. If I were in my 80's, they may have just watched the annuerysm instead of operating on it right away. Hey, I took 2 naps today! Yahoo!

Pam

Thanks I thought was what you meant but I had to ask. My Doctor also told me I had a lot of living to do. For so reason that made me feel better, seeing my doctor doesn't really do any extra talking to me. He is all about the business. And that's ok to as long as he fixes my brain.LOL

Oh I am 35 Yrs old with 2children here on earth and 1 child in heaven who I long to see. She passed on Jan 22,2012. I had major set back but I am on the mend now. I really wanted to give up! I missed going into her room and setting there holding her. But I now relize she is 100% and have no more pains and she has her new body, which her daddy and I told her about.(she was special needs~she couldn't walk or talk. **But now she is**

Thanks for the reply and have a great rest of the weekend.

Lots of Hugs!!!!!

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany,

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter, I can not imagine how hard that must be for you. When I had my first stroke, when my vision was gone for a few minutes and I was dizzy and scared...something told me just to stay very still and calm and then there was the most beautiful feeling that came over me, a sense of peace and complete knowledge that no matter what happened next, I would be in a good place. I am not an overly religious person but I know in my heart and soul that was my version of "seeing the light' and it was in that moment God decided that I had more living to do here on earth. Your daughter is in good hands.

I hope that you have a beautiful day and thanks to your advice, I rest when I need to and the headaches have decreased....no more SuperWoman for me!

Pam

Hi Pam,

What a beautiful testimony.

Carole