Going back to work after a rupture

Yer a trooper pixie hugs

ModSupport said:

Wow, Pixie, what a beautiful manifesto. Couldn't agree more! I admire all of you for what you've been through, and what you manage to do despite it all.

Have a wonderful weekend! You deserve it.

pixiechick66 said:

I just posted this as a discussion...but it fits right here as well.

We survivors are an incredible bunch! We have not lost hope. We keep on keeping on. We still (sometimes) smile. We love. We dream. We have faith. We have gone through something so traumatic, but we're NOT letting it define us. We've knocked on death's door and then decided we didn't want to see who was home. We're here for each other and show such compassion, wisdom and hope for each other. WE are survivors!! We've all "made it", even if some of us feel like we're a slightly different version of ourselves. We keep on healing...even if it takes years. WE really are amazing people!!

My wife had 3 major brain surgeries, Ventriculostomy, Aneurysmal Coiling and VP Shunt From March 28 to April 17 of 2012. She was discharged from the Hospital April 25 and had to go to another major Larynx surgery last July 1 of the same year. She gets back to her job as my business partner mid of August of the same year. She has memory lapses up to now, she has financial and emotional pressure and stresses too . I have to be honest in admitting that sometimes I am the cause of her stress and pressure, and I am so sorry for that.She does zumba and Aerobics 3 to 4 times in a week . She has no current maintenance medicine. She still loves to eat pork and high cholesterol food but I am always there to control her. I could catch her smoking when she's stressed, which really makes me mad.As a couple we quarrel and we shout to each other, but the love for each other is still there , very much there I would say. God really loves us that we are still in each other arms. She is still my business partner up to now.Three years and a half after the rupture , our lives has never been the same again,my three sons left us with a bitter felling towards me, but I've got no choice they've got to stand on their own for they are already adults, this is the emotional stress my wife and I are carrying right now, but we've got to move on for the betterment of our 6th and 7th daughter , they are still in Grade 9 and Grade 10, I would say that we still need to work for them for the next 7 or 8 years of our lives to give them a good college degree. My wife is 51 and I am 50 years old.Prayers to our dear Lord, thanking God for the second life of my beloved wife is always in my prayers, this I is the key why we are still here working for our 6th and 7th daughter.We really can not avoid stress and pressures in our lives but believe you me, prayers helps a lot.

Wishing you all the best.

Ed

Your wife is very lucky to have someone who loves her so much. I’m single and it’s very hard sometimes. I wish I had a good man that cared so much as to message this in here. Prayers for you and your family.

Lisa

Your family has been through a lot, Eduardo. I'm glad you find that faith gives you comfort. I think we all have faith...we just might be different in how we embody our faith. I'll send some good mojo your way for your wife, you and your two daughters. Stay strong for your wife, but also stay strong for you. You are great support for her and you have to keep yourself well. All couples argue...don't feel guilty about that. That's life...I'd worry if you DIDN'T argue. Take care and best of luck.

Eduardo Castillo said:

My wife had 3 major brain surgeries, Ventriculostomy, Aneurysmal Coiling and VP Shunt From March 28 to April 17 of 2012. She was discharged from the Hospital April 25 and had to go to another major Larynx surgery last July 1 of the same year. She gets back to her job as my business partner mid of August of the same year. She has memory lapses up to now, she has financial and emotional pressure and stresses too . I have to be honest in admitting that sometimes I am the cause of her stress and pressure, and I am so sorry for that.She does zumba and Aerobics 3 to 4 times in a week . She has no current maintenance medicine. She still loves to eat pork and high cholesterol food but I am always there to control her. I could catch her smoking when she's stressed, which really makes me mad.As a couple we quarrel and we shout to each other, but the love for each other is still there , very much there I would say. God really loves us that we are still in each other arms. She is still my business partner up to now.Three years and a half after the rupture , our lives has never been the same again,my three sons left us with a bitter felling towards me, but I've got no choice they've got to stand on their own for they are already adults, this is the emotional stress my wife and I are carrying right now, but we've got to move on for the betterment of our 6th and 7th daughter , they are still in Grade 9 and Grade 10, I would say that we still need to work for them for the next 7 or 8 years of our lives to give them a good college degree. My wife is 51 and I am 50 years old.Prayers to our dear Lord, thanking God for the second life of my beloved wife is always in my prayers, this I is the key why we are still here working for our 6th and 7th daughter.We really can not avoid stress and pressures in our lives but believe you me, prayers helps a lot.

Wishing you all the best.

Ed

Hi. I had endovascular coiling 10 years ago, after a ruptured brain aneurysm, at the age of 31 and a craniotomy 5 years ago, at the age of 36. I had the craniotomy because an aneurysm ballooned from the original one due to compressed coils and it was hitting the optic nerve in my right eye. Rest and taking it easy is the best way to heal. I was out of work for 3 months for each surgery. Bright lights in the office bothered me when I went back to work and my thinking was sluggish at first but picked up as the days went on. I was tired for a while and my stamina picked up the more active I became. My job at the time was a Quality Auditor and I needed to be sharp writing reports and auditing, but you are going to have days where you feel 100% and others not. Thank God my manager and director were awesome during my transition back to work. They were really supportive and understood when I needed to take a break. Only you will know when you are ready to go back to work. I knew I was ready. Good luck!

Hi. I’m Tim. No depression with you?

Lisa Eriksen said:

Your wife is very lucky to have someone who loves her so much. I'm single and it's very hard sometimes. I wish I had a good man that cared so much as to message this in here. Prayers for you and your family.

Lisa

Anne T. said:I totally feel you Lisa, I too am in the same situation and although I have loving and caring friends and family members - but a life partner certainly would make a huge difference - because at the end of the day, I am alone when I go to bed and when I get up. Sometimes, a little hug and coffee in bed would be nice. Oh well, we deal with the hand we are given I suppose.

Lisa Eriksen said:

Your wife is very lucky to have someone who loves her so much. I'm single and it's very hard sometimes. I wish I had a good man that cared so much as to message this in here. Prayers for you and your family.

Lisa

hugs Anne

Lisa

Anne T. said:

Anne T. said:I totally feel you Lisa, I too am in the same situation and although I have loving and caring friends and family members - but a life partner certainly would make a huge difference - because at the end of the day, I am alone when I go to bed and when I get up. Sometimes, a little hug and coffee in bed would be nice. Oh well, we deal with the hand we are given I suppose.

Lisa Eriksen said:

Your wife is very lucky to have someone who loves her so much. I’m single and it’s very hard sometimes. I wish I had a good man that cared so much as to message this in here. Prayers for you and your family.

Lisa

I ended up divorcing my husband Lisa. He did not believe there was a "new, different" Alice. I'm happy to be free of such negativity.

Lisa Eriksen said:

*hugs* Anne

Lisa

Anne T. said:

Lisa Eriksen said:

Lisa

I’m glad you are happy now Alice. I booted my boyfriend the day I got out of the hospital. He was a leech who was draining me dry. You are right, I would rather be standing on my own then trying to make it with people who just bring you down. When a spirit is hurt, I think that’s the toughest thing of all.

I hope you find someone who is as great or better than you Alice :heart:

oh my gosh Alice, your story is truly inspiring! Just going over your history and you really are a remarkable woman. Thanks so much for caring, especially after all you have been through!!

I wish you lived closer, I think we would become good friends! hugs. Lisa

Alice said:

Lisa- 10 months is not very long.....the headaches will subside....in a few years, unfortunately. Try vitamin B6 therapy. 100 mg 4 times a day. The group has discussed this.

The "YOU LOOK SO NORMAL" gets tiring. I don't feel normal either. We survivors are a very sensitive bunch. I think this is good.

I'd just finished my Master's Degree and would've begun my dream teaching job. I thought my life was over-even though I'd lived. FOR WHAT? But life goes on. You'll find your place.

Surround yourself with those who support you, not bring you down. You will heal, it's a long journey, but it does happen. (My SAH was 4 years ago-I was blind for a while but I have vision now)

Thanks Lisa. I think we could be friends too! I have a very sweet, non-shedding, female dog. We take long walks together. She sleeps at the end of my bed at night. Relationships can be difficult. I'm not up for it-at least not yet. The little guy in the photo with me is my grandson. We used to travel a lot together. I hope we'll do that again soon.

Lisa Eriksen said:

I'm glad you are happy now Alice. I booted my boyfriend the day I got out of the hospital. He was a leech who was draining me dry. You are right, I would rather be standing on my own then trying to make it with people who just bring you down. When a spirit is hurt, I think that's the toughest thing of all.

I hope you find someone who is as great or better than you Alice ❤️

Hi Tim! I went through some MAJOR depression. In fact, my therapist said that roughly half of the people who go through something like we did...a life altering health related issue...will face some sort of depression. The severity depends on the individual. I began seeing a therapist and taking Zoloft. The Zoloft has done wonders for me. That, and time, made me turn the corner in my depression. I still take Zoloft and have no plans to stop...unless and until I feel able to. Best of luck Tim!

Tim jackson said:

Hi. I'm Tim. No depression with you?

I went through major depression too. At first took Lexapro. As depression worsened was put on Cymbalta. In retrospect it had a lot to do with the fact that I was with a person who I divorced as soon as I was able. The antidepressant has lowered my seizure tolerance, so now I take anti-seizure meds too. The combination makes me dizzy at times. Do you or anyone have these problems?

Hi Everyone! I had a clip 6 weeks ago this week. I started back at work this week and have to say I'm exhausted!! I still am having a horrible time sleeping. In the last 2 months the longest amount of sleep I've had at one time is 5 hours, which just happened last night. Otherwise I sleep no longer than 2 hours at a time. My memory is still not cooperating. A word of advice-Take it slow-Someone else posted start with half days-I wish I had read that prior to returning full time.

Anyone have any suggestions for the sleep issues? I've tried Tylenol PM. Next essential oils!

Melatonin has helped some with me but it has been 8 months for me and I sleep in two hour increments as well. Good luck

I didn't go back to work for 13 months and even at that point I was very fatigued from a 40 hour work week and had trouble doing anything else for my family after work. I helped take care of my toddler, but that was about all I could manage. My work asked that everyone volunteer to work an extra 8 hour shift and I felt I just could not do it. I was 31 years old when I had my rupture. At the two month mark I would not have been able go back to work. If I did one small activity a day I would be exhausted and need an hours long nap during the day, but I am happy to say that it keeps getting better. Try not to push yourself too hard the first year after. A part time position would also be something to consider. A job that is not as stressful might be beneficial as well. Best of luck and God Bless You.

Hi Alice! I was already taking Lexapro at the time of my SAH....I found I needed something else after about 3-4 months. I won't say I'm sorry you had to get a divorce, because I too divorced a "loser" (and I really hate that word but sometimes it fits!). I am happy that you are free of that negativity, though. This is a major life changing event, and if you don't have someone in your corner...it's that much more difficult. I no longer take anti-seizure meds, but.....I am, just within the past couple of months, experiencing A LOT of dizziness. I'm going to make an appointment with my neuro doc, but I find it very frustrating. I am using my cane at times, which I really don't like. I'll try to keep you posted after I see my doc...but I should warn you...I am THE master procrastinator!! I hope you receive some feedback from the site....post it as it's own question...you'll find that at least some people will be experiencing the same symptoms you are. Best of luck, Alice. Take care!!

Alice said:

I went through major depression too. At first took Lexapro. As depression worsened was put on Cymbalta. In retrospect it had a lot to do with the fact that I was with a person who I divorced as soon as I was able. The antidepressant has lowered my seizure tolerance, so now I take anti-seizure meds too. The combination makes me dizzy at times. Do you or anyone have these problems?

Hi pixiechick! Have you always been a procrastinator, or have you become one since the SAH? I find I'm not as good at making decisions as I was before the "event." I never thought to call it procrastination, but it is a sort of delay, rather than an inability. And, since I don't like to be anywhere where there is flourescent lighting, (which is everywhere) I have to gather up all my internal strength, to do simple things like food shopping or taking the dog to the vet. Do you take anti depressants anymore? I was not on any seizure meds until I began the anti depressants. Do you drive? Here's the catch. I don't want to have a seizure while I'm driving, but I'm actually not on a full dose of anti depressant either. It's frustrating. GET TO YOUR DOC!!!!!

pixiechick66 said,

Hi Alice! I was already taking Lexapro at the time of my SAH....I found I needed something else after about 3-4 months. I won't say I'm sorry you had to get a divorce, because I too divorced a "loser" (and I really hate that word but sometimes it fits!). I am happy that you are free of that negativity, though. This is a major life changing event, and if you don't have someone in your corner...it's that much more difficult. I no longer take anti-seizure meds, but.....I am, just within the past couple of months, experiencing A LOT of dizziness. I'm going to make an appointment with my neuro doc, but I find it very frustrating. I am using my cane at times, which I really don't like. I'll try to keep you posted after I see my doc...but I should warn you...I am THE master procrastinator!! I hope you receive some feedback from the site....post it as it's own question...you'll find that at least some people will be experiencing the same symptoms you are. Best of luck, Alice. Take care!!

Alice said: