Going back to work after a rupture

Trisha I had a triple clipping and I went back to work after three months. If I had waiting until I felt really great I would have waiting two years. I had quite a few challenges but was lucky. I have always surrounded myself with a great staff they had my back during my recovery. Even now it is hard sometimes but I also love what I do so that keeps me going back :) You need to listen to your body but the reality is that sometimes you have to push yourself a little when it comes to putting food on the table and paying the mortgage. The tricky thing is not to go back when you know you cannot perform and give them a reason to terminate. You are better off staying on legal leave for a bit longer and protecting your job. Carol

Lisa....to anyone who will listen, I keep saying this: I was Stephanie Benhase before the SAH and am now someone totally different. It's been 20 months for me. I lack the same effervescence, the same passions I had before my SAH. (I've also been told that spending so much time in the neuro ICU only exacerbates some symptoms.) I am optimistic, though, because I have noticed some of my "old self" returning. With all that said...I think it is OK to get pissed off sometimes. I was REALLY angry once I began healing. Any normal person would be pissed as hell that something so life changing happened to them. But...we are still here. We get to wake up every morning. We get to hug and kiss those we love. We get to see the sun rise and set. So getting pissed off is fine...as long as we remember what we still have. Being grateful for what I still have makes me happy I made it. Best of luck, Lisa. Blessings.

Lisa Eriksen said:

oh my gosh it's been 10 months for me and I still suffer really bad headaches everyday. Sometimes I don't think I'm getting any better at all! I lost my dream job, which I had just gotten the day before the rupture. I'm telling you, I'm really tired of trying to be nice about all of it and strong and whatnot when honestly, I am just feel so f*cked, physically, mentally, financially and general quality of life. The emperor is wearing no clothes. Anyone else feel like that? Show of hands?

Lisa

Lisa- 10 months is not very long.....the headaches will subside....in a few years, unfortunately. Try vitamin B6 therapy. 100 mg 4 times a day. The group has discussed this.

The "YOU LOOK SO NORMAL" gets tiring. I don't feel normal either. We survivors are a very sensitive bunch. I think this is good.

I'd just finished my Master's Degree and would've begun my dream teaching job. I thought my life was over-even though I'd lived. FOR WHAT? But life goes on. You'll find your place.

Surround yourself with those who support you, not bring you down. You will heal, it's a long journey, but it does happen. (My SAH was 4 years ago-I was blind for a while but I have vision now)

Thank god for this support group we understand each other and the ordeal we are experiencing. No one else gets it the doctors are disappointing, others think we are complaining too much but this is real. People have no compassion unless it happens to them. I pray for everyone on this board be strong, keep striving to get better it will. One step at a time the years will turn to joy and the pain will heal. God bless.

I went back after 2 months I had a subarachoid haemorrhage,went back every other day for 2 hours,nexted fortnight increased it to 3 hours,kept increasing it,until eventually 8 hour days,then went back full time,it took a few months but I got there eventually.I was tired,I did not do much when I got home ,I had good family support.Good luck to your return

thank you so much pixie chick, weak moment for sure.

pixiechick66 said:

Lisa....to anyone who will listen, I keep saying this: I was Stephanie Benhase before the SAH and am now someone totally different. It's been 20 months for me. I lack the same effervescence, the same passions I had before my SAH. (I've also been told that spending so much time in the neuro ICU only exacerbates some symptoms.) I am optimistic, though, because I have noticed some of my "old self" returning. With all that said...I think it is OK to get pissed off sometimes. I was REALLY angry once I began healing. Any normal person would be pissed as hell that something so life changing happened to them. But...we are still here. We get to wake up every morning. We get to hug and kiss those we love. We get to see the sun rise and set. So getting pissed off is fine...as long as we remember what we still have. Being grateful for what I still have makes me happy I made it. Best of luck, Lisa. Blessings.

Lisa Eriksen said:

oh my gosh it's been 10 months for me and I still suffer really bad headaches everyday. Sometimes I don't think I'm getting any better at all! I lost my dream job, which I had just gotten the day before the rupture. I'm telling you, I'm really tired of trying to be nice about all of it and strong and whatnot when honestly, I am just feel so f*cked, physically, mentally, financially and general quality of life. The emperor is wearing no clothes. Anyone else feel like that? Show of hands?

Lisa

Thx so much Alice, it’s been a rough couple of days. I am single and don’t have much family support so it’s tough sometimes. Lisa

Tricia, I had a very bad hemorrhage. Was in the ICU for 13 days and 8 days at an I patient rehab. I did a 6 week outpatient neuro rehab after release. I am a registered nurse and went back to work full time 12 hr nights 9 weeks after my rupture and coiling. My rehab physician required that I have neuropsychological testing prior to my release to return to work. My experience with recovery is very different than most here. I returned to school 8 months later and just finished my BSN in August. I think only you will know when you are ready to go back to work. I was past ready by the time I went back!

Congrats on your recovery, Mary J! We are all different, but it's nice to hear someone who has recovered so well...and congrats on your BSN!!

Mary J said:

Tricia, I had a very bad hemorrhage. Was in the ICU for 13 days and 8 days at an I patient rehab. I did a 6 week outpatient neuro rehab after release. I am a registered nurse and went back to work full time 12 hr nights 9 weeks after my rupture and coiling. My rehab physician required that I have neuropsychological testing prior to my release to return to work. My experience with recovery is very different than most here. I returned to school 8 months later and just finished my BSN in August. I think only you will know when you are ready to go back to work. I was past ready by the time I went back!

A capital AMEN to that, mickey!!

mickey said:

Thank god for this support group we understand each other and the ordeal we are experiencing. No one else gets it the doctors are disappointing, others think we are complaining too much but this is real. People have no compassion unless it happens to them. I pray for everyone on this board be strong, keep striving to get better it will. One step at a time the years will turn to joy and the pain will heal. God bless.

Thank you all once again for sharing. I’m overwhelmed with this and hearing everyone’s experience is oddly comforting. We are Blessed! Amen

I think I speak for everyone, Trisha, when I say that we are members of a club no one wanted to join, and that being said, we are all here for one another. Blessings to you in your journey. We are all waiting to hear how things go for you.

I just posted this as a discussion...but it fits right here as well.

We survivors are an incredible bunch! We have not lost hope. We keep on keeping on. We still (sometimes) smile. We love. We dream. We have faith. We have gone through something so traumatic, but we're NOT letting it define us. We've knocked on death's door and then decided we didn't want to see who was home. We're here for each other and show such compassion, wisdom and hope for each other. WE are survivors!! We've all "made it", even if some of us feel like we're a slightly different version of ourselves. We keep on healing...even if it takes years. WE really are amazing people!!

So well said. Sometimes it is such a challenge.

I meant Vitamin B2 therapy....you see...my headaches are gone now so I don't take it anymore!!!!!

Alice said:

Lisa- 10 months is not very long.....the headaches will subside....in a few years, unfortunately. Try vitamin B6 therapy. 100 mg 4 times a day. The group has discussed this.

The "YOU LOOK SO NORMAL" gets tiring. I don't feel normal either. We survivors are a very sensitive bunch. I think this is good.

I'd just finished my Master's Degree and would've begun my dream teaching job. I thought my life was over-even though I'd lived. FOR WHAT? But life goes on. You'll find your place.

Surround yourself with those who support you, not bring you down. You will heal, it's a long journey, but it does happen. (My SAH was 4 years ago-I was blind for a while but I have vision now)

First of all, have you filed for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act. That should protect you job up to 12 weeks. Consider returning on a part time basis for a few weeks.

I was anxious to return to work, but not under pressure because I had lots of medical leave. My husband discussed my desire to return to work with my neurologist. He told him that I worked in a high pressure, highly technical environment and when I returned I would be expected to be fully ready to work. The doc, said that it was common for patients to be eager to return to work due to pressure from their employer or financial reasons, and that could be risky because they did not perform well at work. He encouraged me to take a little more time and try to live my normal "not" work life and see how I did. So I spent a few more weeks, doing errands, cooking for my family, paying bills etc, until I was really confident that I was able to jump in with both feet when I returned.

That is what I did and am glad I did. Sure enough on my first day back I ended up staying late to support an urgent issue. I was not 100% because of vision issues, but my energy level and confidence was restored before I returned.

Best Wishes on you recovery and your return to work.

Wow, Pixie, what a beautiful manifesto. Couldn't agree more! I admire all of you for what you've been through, and what you manage to do despite it all.

Have a wonderful weekend! You deserve it.

pixiechick66 said:

I just posted this as a discussion...but it fits right here as well.

We survivors are an incredible bunch! We have not lost hope. We keep on keeping on. We still (sometimes) smile. We love. We dream. We have faith. We have gone through something so traumatic, but we're NOT letting it define us. We've knocked on death's door and then decided we didn't want to see who was home. We're here for each other and show such compassion, wisdom and hope for each other. WE are survivors!! We've all "made it", even if some of us feel like we're a slightly different version of ourselves. We keep on healing...even if it takes years. WE really are amazing people!!

Everyone is right - only you will know if you are ready - but just be careful as I went back after 4 mos to a high stress job supervising - after 2 years of fighting it I gave up the job as my brain no longer could handle that kind of stress - it was very hard to admit it, but I had no choice - I too am 50 something and single so the only breadwinner - the annie caused damage to the learning center of my brain - not evident immediately so it really restricted what kind of work I am able to do - currently I receive disability pension and work 16-24 hrs per week at a very ordinary job - but it is where I am at now and I accept it - took a long time but it's ok and it is what it is for today - good luck

Thank you Anne. hugs

Anne T. said:

Everyone is right - only you will know if you are ready - but just be careful as I went back after 4 mos to a high stress job supervising - after 2 years of fighting it I gave up the job as my brain no longer could handle that kind of stress - it was very hard to admit it, but I had no choice - I too am 50 something and single so the only breadwinner - the annie caused damage to the learning center of my brain - not evident immediately so it really restricted what kind of work I am able to do - currently I receive disability pension and work 16-24 hrs per week at a very ordinary job - but it is where I am at now and I accept it - took a long time but it’s ok and it is what it is for today - good luck

Wow, Pixie. I like how you think. You said everything I am thinking in a very succinct way. Thanks for sharing with all of us. God bless.