Fusiform located on Baslier Artery

I have a fusiform annie located on the baslier artery and it is too small to do anything with as of last year. I will be rechecked in Sept. I'm wondering if anyone has had any type of surgery in this location and what your life is like now. Are you still working, how long was recovery how your mobility is Anything you can tell me I would like to know.

I had mine at the superclinoid which measured 10 x 8 had a stent placed was out of work for 6 weeks and last years had the PED placed because the stent was too short that I stayed home for 8 weeks because I had a stroke on the table. The aneurysm is gone. I feel have another one at my right carotid artery being watch. Good luck

I am actually at the hospital now just having had a basilar aneurysm coiled and stented on Friday. Mine was not a fusiform but it was wide necked thus the stent. Everything went well in the surgery with no issues. I did develop a hematoma at the groin site because of all the blood thinners I was on but other than that, it all went perfect and I am going home today. My aneurysm was 4.5mm. They watched it for a year before the repair. Hardest part of the surgery was right before I went in ;). Good luck. I know how stressful the watch and wait can be.

My wife had her aneurysm on the basilar artery in April of 2014. Hers had ruptured. They tried to coil it unsuccessfully and it needed to be clipped. She made a great recovery and returned to work as a college professor 4 months after. Zero lingering issues of any kind. Even the doctor was surprised by how well she did, not just from the surgery, but from the rupture. That said, the location is extremely tough to get to for a clipping surgery with a lot of 'valuable real estate' that must be passed to access the location. It's less difficult for a coil. If based on the size/shape of the aneurysm you need to get it clipped eventually, I'd really recommend finding the best doctor in your health plan/budget even if you have to travel for it. I think that's less of an issue if the doctor recommends a coiling.

I had one on the basilar tip that was coiled and stented in October 2011 (my surgeon said it could not be clipped without causing brain damage). I was already on disability for the side effects of cancer treatment, so I wasn't working at the time. I did have severe headaches after the surgery, but they were controlled with meds and within a month they were gone - I haven't had problems with headaches since. Fatigue is common after surgery and mine lasted for quite a while. I did have an unusual problem afterwards - my back was very painful and I am still dealing with it (I think that I was moved wrong during the 24 hrs that I was out), but the surgery did not cause any mobility problems. With coiling, you have to be checked to make sure the coils have not compacted - I have a MRA annually, take 325 mg aspirin daily (because of the stent) and haven't had any problems thus far.

I was just diagnosed with neuro cognitive disorder and the neuro psychologist has recommended I have occupational therapy and speech/language services. He thinks that my memory and other problems are from the aneurysm or the surgery, but I really have had problems since cancer treatment, which ended 10 years ago.

Everyone's experience is different from annie surgery. I would not hesitate to have it again if need be. I was extremely lucky that mine was caught before rupture (like yours). Keep us informed how you are doing - this group and the member's support was wonderful before and after the surgery - I don't know how I would have gotten through without them.

Take care, Sherri

Hello:)
I had an 8mm basilar artery annie that they put three coils in and a stent because it had a wide neck. I saw three neurosurgeons and had my surgery at UCSD. Please get another consultation, to make sure it is small enough.

Prayers for you,

Shannon

Hello,

I had a Fusiform on my Basler artery. I went to John Hopkins in Baltimore, Dr. Coon

This was in 2012 He put in a PED. Two years later it is completely gone.

I will have one more angieo next year and if all is well, I won't have to go back for anymore.

I'm on 325 MG aspirin and 40 MG lipitor for life now. I would do this all over again if I had to.

It was the only option I had. I wish you well.

Best wishes to you praise97, I had a 6mm basiliar anneurysm ruptured in 2012, no idea I had an aneurysm until it burst. I do not remember calling the ambulance or any of the hospital or nursing care for many months. I'm told the aneurysm was located in the Circle of Willis area, and that is a quite common area for aneurysms. I'm not sure it relates to your question about fusiform, so forgive the sidetrack.

I had a stent, shunt and coiling, I was in ICU for a month, and back and forth into a nursing care facility over the next 3 or 4 months. I have no memory of all that, just what friends have told me. I was moved to an independent facility the 5th month and started to form current memories slowly and slowly regained ambulatory and balance skills. I tried to return to work at 10 months after the burst, but had a highly technical, high stress job. I found that I was not able to cope with the job, I was on disability and memory loss and workplace struggles set before me forced my hand to just retire early. Luckily I had that choice, it was not what i'd planned, but it's been over a year now and I am still recovering and improving slowly, but without the insurance company, who ended all assistance to occupational, speech and physical therapy related to the aneurysm at a year from the date of rupture.

At one year past the rupture I was again living independently, driving, and living the life of the movie "Groundhogs Day" on most days. I try to place social and physical activity into my schedule regularly along with meditation. Anxiety, fatiigue and low moods are frequent companions.

However I do see the progress, it's been slow, and not being able to return to a stressful job was a good thing seeing it in hindsight. My goals now are to find my "new purpose" and to find and do things that give me joy, to counteract the fatigue and anxiety. It is not the same life I had, I am different now but I can remember what I was capable of then, and I think that is part of the frustration. As I remember more this becomes clear what was lost. I'm working on mourning and grieving that old me and the old life, it was not perfect, but it was mine :D

Best wishes to you, I don't think my path and the experience is common, I was told I was lucky to have lived through the rupture. I am grateful to all those that helped me to this day, many good friends were so helpful. Tuning in to that sense of gratitude is one part of my new found purposes :D

Blessings to you!

Hi Praise

I had a similar one in the Basilar region which was coiled and stented 2 years ago by endovascular treatment.

I have further 4, one was an ophthalmic which was also coiled and stented last year.

I have had no symptoms with any of the 5, but with 2 sorted, I am fine and as I say no side effects at all.

If yours can be treated by endovascular means I would have no hesitation about getting it sorted, I have no experience of open surgery, in fact for my remaining 3 that is the only option at this stage.

It is my personal decision not to have the remaining 3 treated, as I cannot get my head around having 2 holes being cut in my head to fix those ones, this is my personal decision and I can live with it, I will wait for advancements in endovascular treatment and then go down that route.

Secondly as I say I have no symptoms now, but I will have symptoms if they cut a holes in my head, so my decision is a personal choice and unfortunately it is a choice many of us with these vile things must make.

We are all different and as such we will make our own personal choice, please do not construe my story and choice as advice, by any means, it is just my story about my treatments and choices that I have made.

One final point, there is nothing to fear about the endovascular treatments, it is painless, you go to sleep, waken up and job done!

I hope this little bit of info assists you.

Regards

Martinc

I experienced rupture of a 9 X 11 mm basilar/wide-neck aneurysm in April, 2012. It was coiled; during the angio, docs found two more unruptured aneurysms on RICA. Those were stented the following July. Two years later, the basilar coils had compacted so more coils were put in plus a double PED. Angio last January revealed all is well.

I had headaches and dizziness for six months after each of these surgeries. I'm off Plavix and aspirin (and have been for 7 months). All is well.

Walk 4.5 miles a day (16/min per mile!), eating pesca-vegan diet, meditate daily, watch my stress and doing really well.

Hope this helps you. Remember, get 2nd and 3rd opinions -- whatever you need -- until you find a doctor who's a good fit for you. Endovascular IS the way to go, if your aneurysms will allow it. And don't be in a rush to do anything unless they start growing rapidly or your health goes south. Take care of your body, minimize stress, and pray!

Best to you,

Melanie

Greg...you and your wife / family have been blessed... I was coiled, and have become a big promoter of serious consideration of patients of the long-term open surgery...thank you for providing such delightful information. Another advantage of open surgery is far fewer f/u angios.

Greg said:

My wife had her aneurysm on the basilar artery in April of 2014. Hers had ruptured. They tried to coil it unsuccessfully and it needed to be clipped. She made a great recovery and returned to work as a college professor 4 months after. Zero lingering issues of any kind. Even the doctor was surprised by how well she did, not just from the surgery, but from the rupture. That said, the location is extremely tough to get to for a clipping surgery with a lot of 'valuable real estate' that must be passed to access the location. It's less difficult for a coil. If based on the size/shape of the aneurysm you need to get it clipped eventually, I'd really recommend finding the best doctor in your health plan/budget even if you have to travel for it. I think that's less of an issue if the doctor recommends a coiling.

Praise...wishing the best results for your f/u in September ad good results of others to share with you.

What had your doctor(s) explained to you after initial diagnosis?

may I ask what your age was at time of treatment? thanks

Melanie Ormand said:

I experienced rupture of a 9 X 11 mm basilar/wide-neck aneurysm in April, 2012. It was coiled; during the angio, docs found two more unruptured aneurysms on RICA. Those were stented the following July. Two years later, the basilar coils had compacted so more coils were put in plus a double PED. Angio last January revealed all is well.

I had headaches and dizziness for six months after each of these surgeries. I'm off Plavix and aspirin (and have been for 7 months). All is well.

Walk 4.5 miles a day (16/min per mile!), eating pesca-vegan diet, meditate daily, watch my stress and doing really well.

Hope this helps you. Remember, get 2nd and 3rd opinions -- whatever you need -- until you find a doctor who's a good fit for you. Endovascular IS the way to go, if your aneurysms will allow it. And don't be in a rush to do anything unless they start growing rapidly or your health goes south. Take care of your body, minimize stress, and pray!

Best to you,

Melanie

May I ask what your wife's age was at time of treatment and also the size of the annie? Many thanks

patioplans said:

Greg...you and your wife / family have been blessed... I was coiled, and have become a big promoter of serious consideration of patients of the long-term open surgery...thank you for providing such delightful information. Another advantage of open surgery is far fewer f/u angios.

Greg said:

My wife was 39. Her aneurysm was small post-rupture. Not sure if it was larger prior to her SAH. Post-bleed, it measured only 4.9 mm.

A lot of people in this forum have had that - you mean "basilar" artery? My own aneurysm was there, it was enormous and it ruptured, yours, you say is small and unruptured, so I guess it doesn't really compare. However, four and a half years on from it being coiled, my mobility is good (though I'm not yet allowed to drive), I am working again, from home, as a proofreader and copy editor for authors, which requires quite a bit of concentration. You're fortunate that yours has been detected and is being monitored. I had no idea mine was there until it suddenly ruptured. Relax!

Hello. I had a Basilar tip aneurysm rupture back in 2011. I had emergency surgery and had it clipped. Recovery was slow but it was to be expected. My neurosurgeon told me sleep would be my friend. He was right. It took me 6 months to stop feeling tired all the time. This may seem like a long time to recover but for me it was thinking of the alternative. I would rather it take 6 months to recover than be 6ft underground. If you have the option between clipping or coiling I would do the clipping. Its more invasive but its perm. The coiling procedure I have read about sometimes has some residual side affects and does not take %100 of the time. Plus I have read where patients need to go back in for other surgery later on after the coiling. It will be up to you and your neurosurgeon but I would strongly suggest to him to have it clipped.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Hi Sally Chewer and Peter Wilson and anyone can u each explain what size your Annie was on the basilar artery and what type of surgery did u each have ? this is very helpful to know and coincidental topic. in 2010 My husband had an Annie almost the size of a quarter . he had no idea it was there ! no symptom until one day he collapsed whilst eating at the dining table . it did not rupture then and was conscious when he woke up at the ER. Doctors kept him in d hospital for 5 days before doing any surgery . one of the reasons was to put him on an anti bleeding coagulant a neurosurgeon said he is not a candidate for open brain surgery cuz of d location of the Annie he shud rather have stent placed through coiling procedure . After the 5th day he had d procedure and during d procedure he experienced massive stroke due to bleeding on d Annie . he had unexplained respiratory failure and stroke and paralysis with severe respiratory difficulties. my husband was a v healthy person with no acute illnesses . he was made to sign a consent form acknowledging he cud have the above during d procedure . A 56 year old man of 4 is now living a distressful life with lot of pain and health issues . Can you please share your story , recovery and where you had yr procedure and what procedure . How is yr life now . Thank you

effes...I have been on/off this site so many times (due to my limitations)...I missed yours, as I do multi others...your 2010 joining to share info on your hubby... It is so amazing to learn you also had one treated 13 years ago...my 12th anniversary is "in process"...diagnosis covered 29 days and 3 ER...and mutliple other docs/procedures... I recently learned/understood...my right shoulder was given a CT before surgery to place a pin in it...as it was fractured during my black-out (syncope) and, none of the docs imagined my head should be CT'd ...until the third ER ...two more ER after this surgery...

I can only imagine the stress your hubby is going thru...and for you, your family...thank you for sharing..

Prayers surround you here...

effes said:

Hi Sally Chewer and Peter Wilson and anyone can u each explain what size your Annie was on the basilar artery and what type of surgery did u each have ? this is very helpful to know and coincidental topic. in 2010 My husband had an Annie almost the size of a quarter . he had no idea it was there ! no symptom until one day he collapsed whilst eating at the dining table . it did not rupture then and was conscious when he woke up at the ER. Doctors kept him in d hospital for 5 days before doing any surgery . one of the reasons was to put him on an anti bleeding coagulant a neurosurgeon said he is not a candidate for open brain surgery cuz of d location of the Annie he shud rather have stent placed through coiling procedure . After the 5th day he had d procedure and during d procedure he experienced massive stroke due to bleeding on d Annie . he had unexplained respiratory failure and stroke and paralysis with severe respiratory difficulties. my husband was a v healthy person with no acute illnesses . he was made to sign a consent form acknowledging he cud have the above during d procedure . A 56 year old man of 4 is now living a distressful life with lot of pain and health issues . Can you please share your story , recovery and where you had yr procedure and what procedure . How is yr life now . Thank you

Peter...thank you for sharing...you were blessed in your decision and your procedure results...

I shoulda/woulda...but it was my 3rd ER...family was with me...and, the "marketing" of the new fab procedure...with no time to research any of it. The results of mine were not reported to FDA MedWatch / other adverse events...nor in the "study" used in promoting coils to be "patient selection":...for its quality results... I will be sharing some of the images in my 12th anniversary...

Thanks for your sharing.,.I have been a promoter of the two books on this site by two MD-neurosurgeons..

Peter Wilson said:

Hello. I had a Basilar tip aneurysm rupture back in 2011. I had emergency surgery and had it clipped. Recovery was slow but it was to be expected. My neurosurgeon told me sleep would be my friend. He was right. It took me 6 months to stop feeling tired all the time. This may seem like a long time to recover but for me it was thinking of the alternative. I would rather it take 6 months to recover than be 6ft underground. If you have the option between clipping or coiling I would do the clipping. Its more invasive but its perm. The coiling procedure I have read about sometimes has some residual side affects and does not take %100 of the time. Plus I have read where patients need to go back in for other surgery later on after the coiling. It will be up to you and your neurosurgeon but I would strongly suggest to him to have it clipped.

Hope this helps.

Peter