Frozen in Pa

Hiya everyone!! please allow me to mini vent to see if anyone elses shoulder froze post sah, Therapy once again plateaued me- a word i hate. But i was wanting to quit but didnt want to be classed quiter, its clearly not helping past the point of being able to apply deodorant, well, is what it is. i find it odd ive never heard of another w frozen shoulder in 6 yrs 2 sites even tho early on the were digging fingers in shoulder separation/weakness stating it was common w sah?? ughh {{{{{sigh}}}}

Hang in there, Ron. I'm sorry for this setback. You are in no way a quitter, though -- I know that much.

Frozen shoulder has been known to occur in diabetics.

Is the frozen shoulder same side as your stroke side ?

Don’t you worry Ron. I just prayed to God to set your shoulder free. Hang in there.

I have problem my left shoulder I had no stroke thou

RonK - remember you are awesome and amazing! I have the horrible frozen shoulder too. Started when I was in PT as well. Hmmmm. #conspiracytheory :wink: hang in there my friend. The therapy for it is horrible. My cognitive therapist made me stop - way too.painful and intense. I couldn’t take it…pray things get better for you (and me)…

not to scare u my husband had SAH and he has a frozen shoulder it’s been 5 years

By the way, I’ve plateaued as well. It really sucks (no other way to put it)…trying my darnedest to get to that better place where they release me because I am better NOT bc I’ve plateaued. …wishes for you too!

For me, not frozen, but extremely tight shoulder & neck muscles, and tight scalp & scar tissue. My angel of an occupational therapist is trained in physical, eastern, and alternative treatments too, so she applies whatever is needed & helpful. Like gua sha to increase & open circulation to my shoulders, neck, and head. She also applies ultrasound as needed & massages. She teaches me exercises I can do to help. She has & still really helps me. I am very grateful, and realize she goes beyond most therapists. Maybe you could find a multi skilled therapist trained in multiple treatments, or a naturopathic, or eastern therapist? Don’t give up until you feel you’ve adapted, accepted, and are at peace. Good luck!

I had 2 frozen shoulders several years prior to my sag so it was not connected but a vigorous program of physical therapy worked wonders so don’t give up, Ron.

Mine hit about 2 months ago which was about a year and a half after the hemorrhage. Online the info I found said frozen shoulder is common after a long stay in the hospital and can come on a long time after you are out. Just keep moving it as much as you can. The less you use it the more use you will lose.

Uggggg…I am the daughter of an aneurism victim and my mom keeps “plateauing” in therapy. She is bed ridden and hasn’t had therapy in 3 months. It is so apparent she needs occupational and physical therapy continuously to stimulate her body, which in turn stimulates her brain. The physical and the mental are so connected. She finally started occupational therapy again a week ago and it’s already making a difference. She is in better spirits, said hi to me (she is non verbal) and seems to remember prior exercises from before. I am so affraid the lack of movement or stimulation has left her so stiff and rigid she won’t have a chance to progress before she plateaus again? She might have the shoulder stiffness too? I’m not sure as she can’t really tell me. Anyway, thanks for letting me chime in…this is kind of where we are at right now too!

When I've been typing for a while, I get quite a bad ache in my right shoulder and have to keep stopping and rotating it. I hadn't made any connection with my SAH, although it started after that; but it is the same side that was weakened by my post-SAH stroke. Hmmmm.

Hi Ron,

I haven't had any shoulder freeze. I was asking if the shoulder freeze was on your stroke side because I have had a number of chronic movement problems (always on my stroke side) since the SAH. For example, I still have days (it's been 7 years now) where I wake up to find that my right foot will not flatten. It doesn't prevent me from walking but afterwards I will have pain in my knee and hip because the above joints are compensating.

After a stroke, your stroke side muscles don't fire up the same as your non stroke side; same for joints, they aren't getting the same kind of info as previously and your body needs help restoring the neurological connectivity.

I found (find) that most alternative therapies (Body /Mind Centering; Feldenkreis, Alexander Technique, Egosque, Accupunture) help to address the blockages in the information flow from the brain to the joints and muscles. Conventional ,straight up, physical therapy will help you and probably has, but PT alone won't adequately restore the right / left function of the nervous system

If you can find someone like another responder has, a physical or occupational therapist that has expanded their knowledge base to include additional movement therapies (like those I listed above), I am sure you that the new approach would get you to a new place, a new level in your recovery.

I wish you the best :)

Mary

Hi Ron, I can't relate to the frozen shoulder but I wanted to tell you you're far from being a quitter. From your past posts I know you'll seek out alternatives for your shoulder. In the interim, we can sit with you on that plateau and have a few juice drinks and kick rocks. When you're ready to move forward you'll continue inspiring and encouraging the rest of us.

Sorry to hear this Ron. I was treated before rupture and am not waiting to have another repair. I try not to think about it because I know it is like a time bomb ticking. I am not a doctor so I can just express empathy and support for you and all you have been through. I hope this site helps to know you are not alone.

Ron - what does plateaued mean? I wouldn't call you a quiter - if therapy is not helping you should stop going. I'm sorry that you still don't have relief - I know how frustrating that is.

I am going to a different PT soon - I was waiting for the shot in my SI joint to start taking effect, which it has. I have been before to this place and their pt is unlike any other that I have been to (I went for a frozen hip and they had it working beautifully within a few months). They do manual manipulations - not like chiropractors, they employ techniques to help the nerves, muscles and joints work better. I am just wondering if the type of therapy they do might work better. I love the owner - he spent 3 months in Haiti helping the injured after the earthquake. This is a list of what they do in case you want to try to find someone close to you that employ the same techniques. Their website states:

• Visceral Manipulation
  • Neural Manipulation
  • Craniosacral Therapy
  • Muscle Energy Technique
  • Myofascial Release
  • Lymphatic Drainage
  • Postural Assessment
  • Functional Exercise
  • Gait Evaluation

I hope you can get some relief - 6 years is a long time. Bless you, Sherri

wow Stacy! i am so sorry your mom is bedridden and silent, you are all wonderful, thank you so much, i am blown away by the multitude of responses and the similarities-it sure helps to have you in my corner, i think the real reason im plateued is cause medicare only pays for 30 visits, but also i am not getting better, she did say to keep on with the pulley exercises and the others , great advice wanda and kathleen! Karri that sounds awesome! i will ASK AROUND, oops caps-lol, thanks doug i sure appreciate prayers, yes Mary its the left affected side thank you lseejay and the rest of my bro's and sis's, tc xoxo