Fearful and thankful

Last month my partner Joe, 49 years old, was complaining of nausea and a headache. We thought he had a virus. After trying and failing to get an appointment with his doctor that week, I took him to our local ER where he was diagnosed with a bleeding aneurysm and flown to California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco. I was frightened and had no idea what to expect. I threw some things in a bag and drove to the city. When I arrived at the hospital I met with at least three doctors who were treating him. Coiling failed Friday night, so the next day they did surgery and clipped his mushroom like aneurysm. I remember the surgeon explaining the difficulties, the complications and "bumps" in the road we should be prepared for. I was horrified. But after 2 weeks in ICU and another week in inpatient rehab I am thankful to say we have yet to run into too many bumps along the way. Joe came home two Thursdays ago and is making amazing progress, with minimal deficits. He has outpatient PT and OT twice a week. I can't say enough about the amazing treatment and care he received at CPMC. They included me where ever possible. I drove back and forth to San Francisco every day that first week, other day after he was moved out of ICU and into TICU, and when they moved him downstairs to Acute Rehab, the staff invited me to spend the night in the rehab unit. We had meals together, watched our favorite DVD's. (Delores Claiborne and The Wizard of Oz) and just enjoyed being with other other. I am really lost without Joe as we have been together 24 years. It was great being able to meet with all his therapists, observe his work with them, ask questions and provide information. What a month!

389-AUGUST2012014.JPG (269 KB) 390-AUGUST2012016.JPG (359 KB) 391-AUGUST2012012.JPG (622 KB)

Glad to hear your partner is home & recovering well. Remember the brain is on 24/7, so it never truly rests. Therefore, it’s a long slow recovery from brain surgery. Hang in there, be supportive, be very patient, and encourage naps. Take care:)

Hi Patrick and welcome to BAF,

So glad to hear that your partner is doing well, considering what he has gone through recently. It is important to remember that he will need a lot of love, patience and guidance to get through this upcoming journey of his. As his caretaker and partner, you will ride that journey with him. We are here to help you both.

I always like to share with new members A Letter From Your Brain It helps put into perspective the journey that you are about to begin. Share this with your partner and everyone who will aid in his recovery.

I will keep Joe and you in my thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes,

Linda

Thanks, I am taking all the good advice I can get! I thought I knew a lot about our brains, but now I have to put this information into practice. BIG HUGS!

WOW! I cried when I read that letter. I was surprised at how emotional I am around this. I have printed it out and plan to keep it close. It will help me stay mindful. Yes, I will share it with Joe as well. Gosh I feel like such a pushy b*#ch sometimes. Thanks Linda! BIG HUGS!

You are more than welcome Patrick and please keep us posted on Joe's recovery. And, have him join us when he is able!

Best wishes and hugs back at ya!

Linda

Hi Patrick,

Thanks be to God for Joe’s recovery and the wonderful treatment that you both received.

May God continue to bless you both.

Carole

Hello Patrick, i hope Joe is feeling even better now. Thank goodness he's alright, what made it worse for him at that time was that he had a bleed. What a miracle he has recovered, i'm happy for both of you.

God Bless

Nikki xx

Hi Patrick, So good to hear such a positive outcome from a supportive partner. I am the aneurysm survivor and my partner of 13 years stood by my side through it all. She has been very patient with me as I recover and try to find my “new normal”. Never underestimate how important your support is to our recovery and also remember to take time for yourself. Keep us posted. Take care, Mary

I'm glad your partner is home and doing well. I was the one with the aneurysm and clipping. In some ways I think it is harder on family. that was 14 months ago. It sounds like Joe is doing quite well. I'll second the comment about naps/sleep. The brain may be always on, but healing does happen and sleep helps it happen. I still have to nap daily. It seems odd, but it makes a whole lot of difference. And I feel like I am still getting better. Best wishes for Joe to get better and better.

Thank you I appreciate the support and good thoughts. I have a question that I think I need to start on a new discussion. It's about memory. Has anyone experience or witnessed after surgery someone "remembering" something that never occurred? Joe asked me this evening what was the name of our boy cat. We have three female cats. He named them, but said he could not recall the name of the fourth cat. When he described it, he described a cat we have never owned. He said he let it in this evening. Joe was not upset and seemed OK when I explained we don't have a fourth cat. Is this odd???

What a sweetheart you are! Understanding is so important!

You are just as important to him as all the therapy and doctors!

Very , very, common.