Finally at rehab

This is my 1st post I have been looking at this site from a far for the past 3 months but decided last night to join. On July 21st my father had an aneurysm in his head & had emergency surgery very early Sunday July 22nd to repair it. During surgery the surgeon found another aneurysm that hadn't burst so she coiled that one too. As we entered each new step it took him a little longer than the "norm" to come out of. He was in vasospasm about day 7 post surgery and the vessel was starting to open up then another one started to constrict and that one lasted much longer. It took about 14 days total to be completely out of that phase. We would see progress then regress some.

He spent 80+ days in ICU with one quick trip to rehab in the middle of all this, then back to ICU. He's had various complications through out 2 bouts of pneumonia, UTI and continuous secretions in his lungs. It's been a very emotional roller coaster for our family. Yesterday we made the journey to rehab and very happy for the next step in his recovery but also nervous about what the next few months will be like. Even though we all wanted him to move to the next phase it feels like our security blanket has been ripped off of us & we have to adjust to a new "normal"

The nurse we had on the 1st day said we had a very long, slow road ahead of us she was 100% right about that.

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for sharing your father’s story. The recovery to recovery from a ruptured aneurysm is long and for some the road is quite difficult.

I’m very happy to read that your father is now in rehab. I pray that things will go smoother for him and for your family from here on. Good family support is critical and your father is blessed to have you. Please remember that caregivers need care, too. So, do remember to take care of yourself. :slight_smile:

May God bless your father with a complete recovery.

Take care.

Careol

Thank you for your kind words. I hope to use this site to get information from other families who have traveled this road before. I know every patient is different but it will be nice to have a sounding board with other BAF members.

hi samantha! glad you found us since it has helped me so much since the sah 3 yrs ago,we are all on different levels here ranging from 100% to permanently disabled like me-im hopeful for him since your early in the recovery, we'll keep him and his in our thoughts & prayers-best of luck to you-feel free to write, question or even vent-folks here are really understanding!

Hello samantha, much love and luck to you and your family. I know how devastating it was for my family when I had the sah. everyone recovers at their own pace and it looks like your father has had a rough time of it,so I know you have too! that dreaded vasospasm is a bugger! will keep u in my prayers. donna

Samantha ... the nurse got that right...~ it is a long and slow journey...but amazing too...I feel with dad's loving family...it will help him greatly in his rehab...God Bless all of you ~ Colleen