? er?

I had nerve blocker shots. My head has been so bad since then. At times the pain is so bad I cry. I called my nuero dr who gave me the shots and rather than seeing me in his office his assistant said if it is bad pain go to the ER. I feel like my dr's just do not believe me! He is my dr why cant he help me? I am at the point that I just want to give up. This is not a life! Not at all.......

Hey VJ,

I won't say I understand your pain, the best I can offer in that regard is that I can comprehend your pain. I agree with you on the dr's and some attitudes towards patients. In their view they have performed a procedure. Job done. So called 'complications' from that treatment outside of their surgery outside of their hours, in their view, are not of their concern. I say this as I have been in a similar situation and to put it nicely I was told to 'Go away'(the conversation was a bit more 'colourful' than that). I did end up attending the ER, by order of the wife. Firstly they placed me on a saline drip as sometimes it seems, according to the drs, migraine type headaches can be caused by dehydration. Turns out I was not dehydrated and ended up being admitted. My pain was then managed by pharma drugs, not available to me outside of the hospital setting.

For those of us who have been through a procedure any pain triggers concern, bad pain triggers HUGE concern which adds to a headache and it becomes a vicious circle. Some dr's have a massive medical theory and fantastic medical knowledge, but have the emotional understanding of a house brick. It is well known that this emotional detachment allows them to concentrate of the problem at hand, which is great BUT what about the patient??? We are not machines. We don't have the luxury of emotional detachment. We have to live it. Our experience can't be found in a textbook and fear... oh Christ, don't get me started on fear.... ...when they decided I needed a craniotomy, it was beyond fear, I was metaphorically petrified, scared shitless. And they just write me off?? WTF!!!

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it (although it sounds very selfish) but in all honesty only people who have actually been there have ANY idea of what it is like to take this journey. My best friend once told me "the worst pain in the world is a toothache..." my thought "Hell, give me a toothache any day over this". But if a toothache was the worst pain he had ever had then I could see his comparison. We can only draw on our own experiences and if these drs have only had a 'toothache' to compare to... ....well, lucky them.

VJ my only advice would be, come talk to us, we've been there and some of us most certainly know from experience and not a book. These sites have been an absolute godsend for me. When this journey all started for me the internet was all very new, groups like this weren't around. I was very much alone. But now we can chat to others, there is no need to be 'alone'. Come talk to us. Share your info too, it may help someone else going through all this. 'This' is not an easy journey for anyone.

Merl

VJ....what are nerve-blocker shots? The name of the drug?

Which cranial nerves does it relate to? I know nothing about nerve-blocker shots...

It seems like ages since we corresponded...and, I have vague memory...whether of the"time" and/or the "subject"...

Hugs and prayers...you make your right decision for yournext step...and, please do update us...

I was given lidocaine shots to the deaden or kill the nerves in my head. I do not know what nerves he was aiming for. This is the 2nd time I have gotten shots. First time I can not remember how it went other then those shots were to my occipital nerves and hurt like a sob (all I can remember from them). These were I believe in a different position much lower and to the sides. Was a new pain created after the shot. I do not believe so. I have so many different types of pain in my head that I would just like to chop it off and get a new one. I have stabbing (can been in several different spots on my head), best explained and clamping ( this happenens at times from my temple to above and around the back of my ears), pressure (this can be behind either eye and may at times go down to my nose or may go off to the side to my ears), tingling/feeling like bugs crawling all over my head, draining feeling (like life is literally draining down out of my head/ just not as bad as it was when my rupture happened). I think those are all of them. I am sensitive to sound all the time now. Sometimes light. My sense of smell has increased when it was already strong before. My memory still sucks. I have yet to find a DR that can solve the pain! I am constantly in pain from 1 of these types of headaches and so far after 3 years NONE of them have gotten better. I do not want to keep going to the ER and look like I am a drug seeking idiot. I just feel so lost and in pain and wondering why I had to survive to suffer through this......

I forgot to mention I have a hard time walking in a straight line often, I do not think it is vertigo or maybe the beggingin of it. I SO HOPE NOT! I also have neck pain and back pain and have had steriod shots to those areas with very little success if any. To add to it the people close in my life simply do not want to hear I am in pain. They say to me :yes that is normal from you or you said the same thing yesterday". I have not been to this website much lately as although it is an outlet to let my feelings out I am not sure if it depresses me more or makes me feel better. I think my pain is leading me to seek psychiatric help before suicide starts looking better then it does know. I am just so lost......................

VJ...my memopry lapses so much...I cannot remember if you had open surgery or the minimally invasive

I am so sorry for all you are going thru...many of us have done similar in various levels.

Have you researched lidocaine? And, looking for he use of it as a pain reliever..

When was the last time you saw your neurologist? Your neurosurgeon or neurointerventionalist?

A f/u angio or some other... Have any of those close to you been an advocate with you, and/or contacted your specialsits...

Many of us were and/or still on various pain since our procedures...

VJ said:

I was given lidocaine shots to the deaden or kill the nerves in my head. I do not know what nerves he was aiming for. This is the 2nd time I have gotten shots. First time I can not remember how it went other then those shots were to my occipital nerves and hurt like a sob (all I can remember from them). These were I believe in a different position much lower and to the sides. Was a new pain created after the shot. I do not believe so. I have so many different types of pain in my head that I would just like to chop it off and get a new one. I have stabbing (can been in several different spots on my head), best explained and clamping ( this happenens at times from my temple to above and around the back of my ears), pressure (this can be behind either eye and may at times go down to my nose or may go off to the side to my ears), tingling/feeling like bugs crawling all over my head, draining feeling (like life is literally draining down out of my head/ just not as bad as it was when my rupture happened). I think those are all of them. I am sensitive to sound all the time now. Sometimes light. My sense of smell has increased when it was already strong before. My memory still sucks. I have yet to find a DR that can solve the pain! I am constantly in pain from 1 of these types of headaches and so far after 3 years NONE of them have gotten better. I do not want to keep going to the ER and look like I am a drug seeking idiot. I just feel so lost and in pain and wondering why I had to survive to suffer through this......

VJ...under the Category of "Resources"...Moltroub had put in Brain Basics...which has a brochure from a resource in FL... It has a page or so on the cranial nerves...I added one of the Visual Pathways that notes the cranial nerves of our eyes..

These things may help generate / outline questions to address to whichever doc you are, have been, seeing...

Prayers...that you will keep us updated....

VJ said:

Hi Pat,

I had a SAH treated with coil. I also had severe vasospasms treated with ballooning and chemical injections at the sites.

I do not remember if I researched lidocaine or not. I have a hard to remembering and when I read things often it does not sink in and often I do not have the patience to keep reading till it does and I see it is pointless since I probably will not remember that I read it anyway.

Advocate. My hubby tries his best. Iwould prefer the old me to be my advocate as I was a caretaker for family members before this and I knew how to talk to DR.s, get the info that is needed, etc...

Last saw my neurologist I think 2 weeks ago when I got the shots.

patioplans said:

VJ...my memopry lapses so much...I cannot remember if you had open surgery or the minimally invasive

I am so sorry for all you are going thru...many of us have done similar in various levels.

Have you researched lidocaine? And, looking for he use of it as a pain reliever..

When was the last time you saw your neurologist? Your neurosurgeon or neurointerventionalist?

A f/u angio or some other... Have any of those close to you been an advocate with you, and/or contacted your specialsits...

VJ said:

VJ...re: reading/comprehension - memory.. I suffered thru a lot of that...m neurologist referred me to vision therapy..I could not read/comprehend anything past the hi/hello...and sometimes a "word"...like in an article...would somehow trigger some memory and I would keep it...which began my accumulation of stacks of squalor...and, that 'stuff' did not matter (be recognized?)...if from from the mail or a paper or online...that I printed to save for memory!!! ... .

Have you seen a neuro-ophthamalogist?

Have you had extensive/advanced hearing tests done ?

I did not have massive headaches...but a lot of pressure w/in my brain/skull...

VJ said:

Hi Pat,

I had a SAH treated with coil. I also had severe vasospasms treated with ballooning and chemical injections at the sites.

I do not remember if I researched lidocaine or not. I have a hard to remembering and when I read things often it does not sink in and often I do not have the patience to keep reading till it does and I see it is pointless since I probably will not remember that I read it anyway.

Advocate. My hubby tries his best. Iwould prefer the old me to be my advocate as I was a caretaker for family members before this and I knew how to talk to DR.s, get the info that is needed, etc...

Last saw my neurologist I think 2 weeks ago when I got the shots.

patioplans said:

VJ said:

No, I have only been to my neuro dr's, my pcp, and pain dr. pain dr did nothing but shots to my neck and back that I do not believe helped. pcp (I think has given up on doing anything for me), and nuero dr. I think is the same as my pcp (given up on me.) I have no idea if my nuero dr has even delt with a sah patient or brain annie patient.

Just typing this is killing my head.

VJ...I am exhausted after several days of research...to share later on...I will write more later on...

VJ said:

No, I have only been to my neuro dr's, my pcp, and pain dr. pain dr did nothing but shots to my neck and back that I do not believe helped. pcp (I think has given up on doing anything for me), and nuero dr. I think is the same as my pcp (given up on me.) I have no idea if my nuero dr has even delt with a sah patient or brain annie patient.

Just typing this is killing my head.