Disable/Disability

Hello again!

Who here now considers themselves with a disability, have taken early disability? I haven't seen anything mentioned here. Thanks

Without question...mine was some years back...yet exists...from vision to hearing to cognitive loss...

When I applied for SS Disability... was almost too late to apply...they scheduled neuropsych testing ...which took apx 6 months to get scheduled/completed... tho was immediate approval/pay...

Have any of your neuro docs arranged neuropsych testing for you?

Mine had done that 90 days post-d/c...tho it was quite incomplete...down to "sensorimotor exam was deferred"... w/no f/up for later scheduling...thus, SS Disability ran me thru extensive testing...and very precise on test results...

If you mean SS Disability...you can pull up data on-line...and/or go in and visit w/your local SS office... possibly begin your steps in the procedure...i.e. your application...to the potential testing which may yet have delays...like 6 months...I had attempted return to work...another story...

I know others here have addressed going thru SS disability...and, hope you get more response..

All of this also can/may relate to known physical disabilities???...too...I can assume the vision and inner damage was possibly considered physical...since it is the brain tissue...and, that affects our balance/coordination...can cause falls, tripping, etc...

I just recently learned of the inner ear connection/relation to eye muscles....very interesting...

Wishing you best decision and results...and, more input from others here...

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the response. I haven't started that process yet, I was just thinking since I will be 62 in 2 years. Will look into it. Best to you.

Hi all...just saw this post and thought I would copy a link from our main page regarding Patient Resources including disability, insurance, etc.

http://www.bafound.org/patient-resources

Hope this helps!

Deb

Thank You Deb. Great information.

Yes definitely have a cognitive disability. Had to retire early and managed to get an ill health pension form my occupational Pension provider. In the UK so can't really give you any advice.

So much depends on everything...personal financial status...if you are working now...able to work now...then any pension funds / benefits...

to SS disability...before 62...timelines can relate to all of them...there is such a diff in the SS $ level at 62 vs the regular years...was 65 and now years/months added...and, also the disability...I applied some 8 months after I was 62 for 62 level...after I was treated...

Some months later... enough sense to apply for disability...it does make a diff in the $'s...tho not nearly as good as reg years...

Pat

Yup! I recovered 95% of abilities. Then thought I still had to do better. I’m kinda an overachiever that way. XD pushed myself to do more. As if working full time as a special ed paraprofessional and raising 3 kids under6 at the time wasn’t enough. :confused: I got mono and regressed. Then formed new issues relating to the TBI. It’s a long way of saying yup I’m on SSD and fought 2yrs to do so. If you apply you may be denied twice before you go before ALJ (administrative law judge). This is quite common. Go through it all. It’s worth it. I now work only 3 hrs a day. Hate it most days I can’t do more but, I deal. Take care! Any questions send an email. Blessing-

My husband was almost 65 when he had his aneurysm and getting Social Security Disability was really easy. I'd been told it's hard to get, but seems like with this situation the agency understood and was really supportive.

hi!!! yes i'm permanently dsabled , my dr took care of the paperwork and I had a third party custom disability solutions got me set up with work disability,i am not in the grey area and I got the disability no problem and I hope the same for all those with issues, this is a tough topic- I didn't want to recover 50% and struggle at work- I had a demanding job working on ladders etc etc, so for now I wonder what ifs! I was not expected to survive so i'll take what I can get, 20% will have to do I suppose~ you do not have to be 62 or any age to get disability from ss, im 56, call your dr and see if he thinks you are disabled, if so it will be retro- active, then call ss and they will send the forms~

Again, thanks everyone for all the info. As for the Neuropsych testing, I had one done already. My scores came back good. But my IQ was lower. Not completely surprised. Who here has taken one? I decided to take mine because of my business, my therapist felt it would help me with some things.

Now living in a new state, not sure I will have another business. I'm definitely not the multi-tasker used to be. But than again, the annie was probably my que to "Slow Down" Which I have. Thank You God.

A motto I live by now....You will make your way successful and . . . act wisely.—Josh. 1:8.

Sandra,

In Pennsylvania we have a Department of Vocational Rehabilitation that has fantastic services. They have assisted my wife in so many ways but most especially with arranging and coordinating EEG based Neurofeedback -what a difference this has made in her life. Check with your State agencies to see if something like PA VOC is available for you.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks, I never thought of needing this type of service, but I find out out getting organized with appts gets daunting. But I will look into it. I always thought there services were for severly disable people. Like after a stroke, with gait issues. People see me and would never guess I was as sick as I was. I think sometimes I'm dreaming it all. But than I look at my pictures, I read my reports, I go inside of myself and know, somethings changed. I'm not the same person. But still alive. I pray allot. It helps. But thanks again. God Bless your wife and yourself.

Sandra,

My wife fell on her sword and had the same logic. I finally convinced her (after almost 17 years) that she needs to be prepared and have the safety nets in place in the event something happens to me. My heart goes out to Wendy as from what I read her Husband had the same mindset as I had to make sure Wendy's needs were met. Like you, one would never know my wife was disabled but when you go under the hood so to speak the difficultities become highlighted. Good luck to you and if you need any advice or direction for services just ask.

Ed