Has anyone gone on disability?

I had a rupture 8 years ago and my short term memory was affected. I was tested and it was rated at 60 percent. I was written up at my job for "lying". I wasn't lying, I didn't remember the conversation. I was retested and my short term memory is down to 40 percent. I would like to go on disability and was wondering if anyone else has gone on disability?

I'd recommend you file the Social Security applications ASAP, get your Doctors lined up to provide all reports, find a competent Attorney skilled in Social Security disability and also any disability at your workplace (Employers and their insurers will put up a strong fight against it but don't despair and this is why a good attorney is important). Try to avoid the ambulance chasers. It's not easy to obtain but if all your ducks are lined up the process will be easier. Filling timely is urgent before time runs out.

Ed

My mother qualified for disability after her rupture in 1995. The key is documentation!!! Get every medical record you can to back up your claims and you should be fine! Her short term memory is her problem! It took her 7 years to get my oldest sons name right on a regular basis. He is now ten. Best of luck to you!

Agree with Ed's advice. Also, if there is a reputable psychologist in your area who can do neuro testing or brain mapping, that may help you as well. I have difficulty with short term memory too and learning new things. All of this affects employability. Certainly it is worth pursuing. Good luck.

Everyone is denied the first time, file an appeal with SSA with any new evidence. You have 90 days to do so or start over.

you can do it.

1 Like

I agree with everyone's advice about obtaining complete documentation from every licensed and board certified health care professional involved in your care. I was awarded disability by my employer and SSA after my bilateral cerebrovascular aneurysms ruptured in 2009. My short term memory was and still is impacted. I have no memory of my inpatient care for surgeries nor rehabilitation. However, I did not require an attorney.

Yes. I am on perm disability. Short term memory, balance , high BP , diabetes, walk with cane. I no longer drive due to slow reaction time. I was turned down first time. Contacted company called Allsup. They handled every thing for me, all I had to do was report all doctor visits, MRI CAT scans, blood work, etc and they represented me. I too went back to work post aneurysm, lasted 1.5 yrs, burned out. Anxiety attacks, BP spikes. Great company, let me know if you decide this is an option and I will give you info. Best wishes to you

Ssdi and private disability…

I did not use a lawyer and was approved on the first application. I did not try to get disability from my employer (went out of business). Just social security. The key is the paper trail. Make sure your job challenges are in your medical record. Talk with your doctors about them. Make it easy for SS to get your medical records, give them accurate contact onformation. Do all the paperwork carefully, with as much detail as possible. In addition to documenting job performance issues, you should document things that would interfere with commuting to work. Also key is to use the word “hemorrhagic stroke” because “aneurysm” and “subarachnoid hemorrhage” don’t work as well. Ask for a new MRI and ask that it be compared to a previous MRI, so the change is documented in the medical record. Ask your former boss to write a letter with specific details about your job performance, not just the episode of so-called “lying”. Give it to your doctor and have a discussion about it. Ask that it be included in the medical record. Document. Document. Document. Or you can let a lawyer do it and pay them every month out of your check. If, I ha d been denied, I might have used a lawyer, but I am glad that I spent many hours building the case, since I get the full check. I can’t speak to employer provided disability insurance. That might need a lawyer.

I had a ruptured brain aneurysm eight years ago this month. I loved my job and wanted desperately to go back to work. I could see no reason why I couldn't. My doctor (neuroradiointerventionalist) and my husband could not see how this would work, but my doctor let me go back to work in a highly stressful, very busy cardiology office, part time. I worked mornings for three months. By noon, I was literally walking into walls I was so exhausted. I couldn't remember so much of the job---I had to be retrained on almost a daily basis. Prior to the rupture, I could multitask all day long, accomplishing my job in a very successful way----afterwards, this was more and more impossible. Finally, I had to go full time. One day, a short time later, I felt terrible after lunch, went to HR and said I had to go home. My husband asked what I was going to do, and I said that I had to leave my job. When I went to tell HR the next day, I said I couldn't do this job anymore. Their response, "We know". They were kind enough to wait until I decided that. I will be forever grateful for their patience. When I left I applied for Social Security Disability. I did not have a lawyer. Per SS guidelines, I was examined by a doctor of their choice, and a psychologist of their choice. Both told we right out at the exam that they didn't see how I could possibly have gone back to work. I was approved on the first try, no problem. My employer also called me and said I was eligible for their "Long Term Disability Insurance", and they applied for me so I received a check for that monthly until I reached the age of 65. I do think that my trying to go back to work helped me in all facets of this matter. It broke my heart to leave this job, but I eventually knew that my brain and body just could not handle it anymore. Good luck to you.

it sounds to me like this is a job for a disability attorney. They are all over the place and don't get paid any money until you get on disability. There fee is usually equal to a about a couple of months of what you were awarded. Most people get turned down the first time ( unless your really banged up ) so its not recommended that you try it alone. Make sure you chose one that specializes in disability cause any attorney will take the case but that does not mean they know what there doing

1 Like

Thanks for that explicit advice, Sigmund. Super helpful.

Sigmund said:

I did not use a lawyer and was approved on the first application. I did not try to get disability from my employer (went out of business). Just social security. The key is the paper trail. Make sure your job challenges are in your medical record. Talk with your doctors about them. Make it easy for SS to get your medical records, give them accurate contact onformation. Do all the paperwork carefully, with as much detail as possible. In addition to documenting job performance issues, you should document things that would interfere with commuting to work. Also key is to use the word "hemorrhagic stroke" because "aneurysm" and "subarachnoid hemorrhage" don't work as well. Ask for a new MRI and ask that it be compared to a previous MRI, so the change is documented in the medical record. Ask your former boss to write a letter with specific details about your job performance, not just the episode of so-called "lying". Give it to your doctor and have a discussion about it. Ask that it be included in the medical record. Document. Document. Document. Or you can let a lawyer do it and pay them every month out of your check. If, I ha d been denied, I might have used a lawyer, but I am glad that I spent many hours building the case, since I get the full check. I can't speak to employer provided disability insurance. That might need a lawyer.

I had a ruptured blood vessel when I was 15. I've been getting SSI since I was 18. Its not a lot but with low housing n food stamps I'm making it. I'm 41 now.

I got approved for disability on my 3rd attempt with a lawyers assistance. Mine did not rupture but I had two clippings on the right side and I have 2more on the left side that I am going to be reevaluated for in Sept. Mine affected my vision because they were pressing on an optical nerve. My sight is fine now except for an occasional blurriness. I also have memory loss and depression though. My memory loss is from my surgery because we had problems with the meds they use as a paralytic when they out you under. Good luck. You can talk to an attorney without hiring him. But you MUST HAVE DETAILED MEDICAL RECORDS.

Very good idea to document everything and to have all your medical records organized.

Sharon Morey’ description of the process of trying to go back to work and having to go on SSD is the exact replica of my situation. Working directly in the stock exchange was a danger to everyone(oh no 100 shares instead of 1000). I horribly miss the activity and can barely stand the lack of communicating with others. I did go to a non profit disability representative thinking I would be denied. He managed to get it through after some time but you do pay their organization a percentage of your months of the benefits for the past time. Works out for everyone. Worst part is missing people & thinking to that level but concentrating on your recovery on so many levels. Put that first and down the road you can change your mind. Peace and happiness to all:) oh by the way, I probably will not remember even posting this:(

Documentation. GET your own copy of your records. The more you have the better. I would think you would qualify not sure but go for it. DO your research. I put all of my records in 3 ring binder scans are put on disk now ...I have done just a tone of research and it is how you answer questions Simple truthful I have right sided weakness etc...mine has not ruptured but it is a dangerous place etc. I just pray and am doing well with lingering TIA now under control but I am not the same as I use to be. DO not break any doc appts. Keep them and keep going. That is really super important. I will pray for your success and well being. Type in your stuff in google. There are also stroke lawyers etc. Strokes and Aneurysms are a different bird...do you have other health problems in addition. Good advice on here. DO NOT sign up until you do your research and get your ducks in a row. Time on filling out forms and etc. This totally stressed me out and then when I finally got to it ...It was easy enough you just have to be careful wording and not too much. Lawyers do not take unless turned down as they have a cap they can collect? Part of your back pay...Try yourself at first you will begin the process.

so sorry you are having issues, and got falsely accused- shame on them! i guess i was lucky i was in a coma and i have severe memory deficits and cannot stand or walk more than a few minutes -in the disability collection areas. My employers disability company was great and even got the ss dis gong. They were called "custom disabilities solutions" My heart goes out to you being in that grey area, Prayers for you and yours, a lot seemed to hinge on the drs disability report, everyone wanted to see that even my old employer, tc best of luck to you~~

Hi Trish,

Yes, I agree. Missing people at work is the worst part. I left my job in December and spent the following months until spring being very down emotionally. I was alone all day. Everyone I knew was at work. Finally spring came, and with it, freedom to sit on my patio, join a wellness center where I could go relax in one of their pools, and was finally able after almost a year to read and actually be able to follow the story. I still have issues remembering what book I read, or what movie I saw, but I am enjoying them for the moment and not worrying about the future.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone. Hope everyone's weather is as nice as in Erie, PA this weekend.

Ernie...how long ago were you tested at the 60% ratio? How long ago were you re-tested?

Were they the full neuro-psych testing?

Do you have those tests/results and reports to give to SS Disability?

I had had one...90 days post-discharge, and over a year to my application for SS Disability; SS did do another which took 6 months to wait on their heavy schedule...tho, results provided immediate disability and also the back-pay...I have been so surprised at how many have had to secure an attorney, etc. which takes a percentage out of the back-pay and often more delays in getting SS Disability which can so well add to the difficulty in recovery.

Tho, I can type to you here...I have the privilege of 2-4 productive hours per day...even when I am awake 14+/- per day.

Wishing you the best...