What about work?

I met with my neurologist yesterday and got some much needed answers to my aneuryms/SAH. I am currently on short term disability and have been out of work since my aneurysm occurred. The reason I am not able to return is that I work a 24 hour on call schedule in a very stressful position and was told by my employer "if I cant come back at 100%, I can't come back until I am 100% and have a note that states so ." I was told by the neurologist yesterday that it could be a year or longer until I am able to return to my position with my company so I'm asking for advice. Has anyone else been told this and has anyone had to go on long term disability or social security disability or extend their FMLA another 12 weeks. So worried and I'm such a planner I need to know what and what not to do. Please Help.

Michelle,

I'm glad to see you are taking proactive steps. Plan as though it's going to be a long term issue. My wife made the mistake of not doing that and we are making up for lost time now (18 years later). If it hasn't been done already ask your Neurologist to set up a very thorough Neuropsychology exam. If your state has a Vocational Rehabilitation associated with its Department of Labor get in touch with them (this can be a long drawn out process but so well worth it). Apply for Social Security Disability. Keep on the good side of your Neurologist as he/she will be your ally. Your short term disability carrier should be easy to deal with, however the long term carrier will be your nemesis. Keep in mind that insurers are in the business of making money so any payout is not in their best interest so they will make your life exceedingly hard. Just keep in mind that no matter how tough they get, fight them every step of the way. They are banking on you giving up easily and most people do so please don't. Obtain all and I mean all of your health records from everyone involved even if it seems like an obscure Doctor or provider, keep hard copies in a safe area and have them organized and also create scanned files of them and back them up ( I learned this the hard way too.) Keep in mind that your earnings record for Social Security purposes are frozen at the level of the time you applied. This will ensure that when you hit retirement age your benefits will stay at the highest level you achieved. Most important don't give up and enlist help when it's needed and even before is a good idea.

Hi Michelle,

I too had been working during my 2nd aneurysm, which resulted in me being comatose for about 6 weeks. I was placed on disability for one year. My doctor had to sign off on my paperwork stating that I was able to return to work, which I did. It was a simple enough task, straightforward and such. It was thru State Disabiity, not Social Security, (And since you've been working, yours would be thru your State employment office/State Disability) ...Don't paniic, your doctor will need to to sign something stating he thinks you should be off work for a year , and thats about it. No Worries! Best of luck in your recovery! Janet

I actually collapsed with my aneurysm at work - I am/was a LVT at a veterinary hospital. This all happened 9 months ago and I now receive long term disability benefits. Luckily my husband planned for this because the wait for this can be lengthy...he applied for me in April and I started getting the benefits in October. I would suggest planning for long term as you never know what your body is going to do...good luck to you and keep us posted.

hi Michele- i am 3 yrs post sah and permanently disabled & on disability. Apparently the dr -pcp- makes the call because he filled out all the necessary papers as did i. No one was more shocked than i to learn i was permanently disabled by my mortgage man who read me the drs report that we used for the bankers. i thought i would improve but i guess the therapists putting me on the plateau where i was not improving put me in the permanent disabled category-they plateaued me at around the 2 yr post area when they told me they could not legally or morally treat me anymore. this is not where i want to be as i loved my job working as a painter in the maintenance dept of a large nursing/ retirement home for 13 yrs but i'm learning to cope with the struggles and boredom. My heart goes out to you & the others who are improving but not 100%. No wonder i had insomnia worrying about these issues and the guilt trip for not getting back to work. i'll keep you in my thoughts *& prayers for great healing!

Hi guys

Thank You so much for your input on my posting. Every bit of information is helpful in this long drawn out process. I am currently on short term disability and at the end of 22 weeks will apply for long term disablility. Thankfully it is the same company so I should not (hopefully) have any trouble switching to long term. I
did apply for Social security disability and have to jump through the hoops for that one. Again, thank you to everyone for replying to my post I truly appreciate the help.

Michelle K