Continued headaches

Does anybody continue two experience headaches after aneurysm? I take Vicodin on daily basis, I’m so scared of the pain! I don’t want to be on medication forever though…

Have they told you why you continue to have headaches? My doctor ordered another angiogram so they can determine if my aneurysm is still bleeding. Maybe it’s what you’re saying… Maybe it’s the Vicodin causing rebound headaches… But if I don’t take anything, I can’t stand the pain! I’m just so scared of the pain. Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving Jo! :slight_smile:

Yolieq,

The presence of the shunt seems to complicate things because it is suppose to alleviate pressure within the head. Congratulation on surviving your episode because by waiting the two days you were at a higher risk of a severe rebleed. Did you have a aneurysm clip installed?

No aneurysm clip installed , just a shunt… I’m 42 yrs old and have a 4 yr old that I stil need to raise! I’m truly scared

Hi! I was right there with you on the pain front, though my aneurysm was no where near a severe as yours, and I had the PED, but I was on lotsa oxycodone at the hospital because of nerve pain along my trigeminal nerve. My neurologist and my neurosurgeon both told me that narcotics can prevent healing from happening and to get off them as soon as I could. If you're taking a regimented dose daily, and you want to see if they are causing rebound pain, you can go off the Vicoden and like Jo, use Tylenol. I was on the max daily dose of Tylenol, 1000 mg, every 6 hours. Just make sure you wean yourself off Vicoden slowly. I cut pills into quarters so that I still was getting some oxy into my bloodsteam and lessened my dose by a half pill a day until I was off of them completely. I still have them if I need them, but I find I don't need them now that I'm off of them, if that makes any sense. You might want to find a neurologist as well, mine is a godsend at helping me manage all sorts of issues with my head.

Hang in there!

Tara

Jo,

That is my nightly prayer for my wife and all of you folks. Headaches have a cause. The problem is that Doctors have very little evidence based medicine to pursue solving the cause of headaches. I know this sounds callous of me but I can nearly predict, with high probability, when my wife will have a major migraine episode. Unfortunately I had to prepare her this evening for a weather system due here tomorrow night and Saturday. By doing so she can at least prepare herself mentally for what is coming.

I never had headaches until I had the bad one for an unruptured, but leaky aneurysm...after I was coiled...I now get migraines about twice a month...they are bad...and I take feriocet and see a neurologist for my headaches ~

I find this may be my "new normal"...from the coils in my head...~ I hope you can find an answer to your headaches...they are very awful...and often I feel the Doctors just don't understand ~ Colleen

Mine Ruptured May 5 , 2011 . I was given 9 coils and 1 stent . I have headaches EVERYDAY! they are very painful quick headaches that come and go throughout the day . I also get migraines . I went to see my brain doc last week and he says everything is okay .So I guess this is just the way it is for me .I'm not a pill person so I tolerate the pain or just take tylenol . I'm just so sensitive to all meds . My doc seemed surprised that I'm still having headaches and implied they are from something else . I was very frustrated and said ya know doc Let me step on your foot and tell you the pain has nothing to do with that and maybe your shoes are the reason even tho your foot didn't hurt until I stepped on it . I NEVER had issues with headaches until the annie popped . Docs need to read stories of survivors and start thinking outside of the books they learned from and pay attention to the the things we are saying .

Lol! Good analogy. Same thing is happening to me, I’m waiting in another angiogram to determine if they can coil it or the reason for the continuing headaches. I’m like you, have them EVERYDAY! I just refuse to think it’s something permanent… Hopefully not…

I’m with you on that, I feel my doctor thinks I’m exaggerating, somehow, I just don’t know anybody that would fake this kind of headache! I wish so much to be back to normal. But I guess it’s like my doctor said - “what happened to you is life changing.”

My neuro doctor is awesome and offered to call and tell my doctor what an aneurism is so he will understand how I feel. I have a follow up angiogram in the morning due to my daily headaches. I had a double rupture may 3rd of last year. 6 coils and I’ve had headaches ever since. I take 2 nortriptylin at bedtime and fioricet when they get bad. Sometimes as many as 6 in a day.