Coils/clipping

I see my surgeon on Friday to hear what option has been decided. Last appointment he said my 4.5 Annie could have either but his gut said coiling. The ten per cent failure rare for coiling concerns me. If I get a say at all what do others recommend.

I've been thru both procedures...and after my coil failed I was able to get a clipping fix the coils...(in 2006, in the States, the rate of failure for the coil was placed at % 25...I I happened to be in the 25 percenter category !) So my answer is Clipping......hands down..

I was coiled 2 years ago...and I think whatever procedure you choose...you must feel from the "gut" it is what it good for You...no one else...a lot of healing has to do with positive thinking...and if you are negative already about the coiling...that will not be good...I would express those feelings with your Doctor on Friday ~

Sorry I can not be of any help as I had no choice but to have a coil because of where mine is. Good luck in making your decision..... My prayers are with you.....

First I am not a doctor but a rupture survivor that has done extensive research on this subject.

I was in an emergency situation and I wasn't given much of a choice so now I have coils. They have compacted considerably. There are some terms being used that aren't 100% accurate. For instance the "Coils Failing" would be a good example. The coils themselves do not fail, rather they can compact or become misplaced. This leads to the aneurysm not being fully blocked off of blood flow from the artery (occluded). It is the procedure that fails, not the actual coils.

From all the research I have done, about 25% to 35% of all coiling procedures have some sort of compaction. However not all of these require re-treatment. For those that are re-treated, they usually add more coils and possibly a stent. From what I know, very few aneurysms that have been coiled can be clipped afterward due the coils not leaving enough space for the clip.

The bottom line is clipping is a much more permanent solution, but caries a much higher risk. Especially in a rupture situation. Coiling is a much less envasive procedure, but the risk of a residual aneurysm forming requiring further treatment is significant.

In my case if I had known what the choices were and was not in an emergency situation, I think I would have went with the clipping. The reason is, I now have a residual aneurysm that is about as big as the original one. Due to the coils already there and it's location, there is nothing more they can do. I have been to several big named neurosurgeons who all agree.

Please ask a lot of questions about what is best for you based on your age, health and location and size of the aneurysm. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

My dilemma is that both surgeries for my case have same percentage of risks. If one outweighed the other my decision would not be so hard.

Fiona,

Are you saying that the doctors are telling you that the coiling procedure and the clipping procedure are equally risky? If so thaat's the first time I have heard that.

I have coils and probably would choose them even tho I needed re coiling--this is not failure-it is expected- the very nature of them is to compact- its a good thing I think- you don't want loose coils they will leak. tightly packed coils will clot over forming a seal. so if it takes 2 times to get a good seal that's fine with me and if drs gut says coil - my gut would agree- they are the experts. I have no headaches only pressure in the mornings but I think that's from the shunt and or sinus, I am 4 yrs post sah and had no choice. At any rate good luck with your visit and decision

Yeh hè said for me size, position and my age equal risk of 1 per cent.

The problem being he wont recommend any procedure, he said both can be done now initially he said coils now after discussing with team says equal risk.

Hello ,

My question is, will your Neurosurgeon be the one to perform EITHER of the two procedure chosen? It has always been my understanding that someone who specializes in Radioneurology would be the one who would do the coiling procedure where as the Neurosurgeon would be more likly to do the clipping surgery...does he do both kinds of surgical procedures?

And I must say I echo the question that Tony responded with, as each procedure carries its own risks and all yet the more invasise clipping procedure is considerably more risky and much harder in terms of recovery time....it is open brain surgery after-all..and in terms of effectiveness, its a known risk factor as sometimes the coiling will have to re-addressed in the future , not so with a clipping as that procedure is considered to be done and over when they suture you up...the 1% risk assessment applies to the clipping in that it won't have to be re-addressed down the line...depending on where you live, the coiling procedure has anywhere in the neighborhood of %10 up to % 25 risk involved in that it may have to done again later....not all of them need another go around, but many of them do.

I honestly would attempt to get another opinion if I were in your shoes...I can appreciate your being cautious in your decision making as this is such a major thing ..maybe ask that if his wife were in your position, what procedure would he recommend then? I know this isn't easy, and I hope you're able to come to a decision that you're comfortable with ..Peace! Janet

I had done a lot of research on the subject after I found out that I had an aneurysm. I was leaning towards the clipping procedure because of how permanent it was and that it wouldn't have to be readdressed in the future. After meeting with him and hearing that approximately 20% of coilings would need to be have coils added in the future I had decided that I would have the clipping surgery done. I then found out at our final meeting with my neurosurgeon prior to surgery that my aneurysm was not a candidate for coiling. The neck was only a hair narrower than the width of the aneurysm itself. It only had a 2% chance of the coil staying inside the aneurysm. But if I were to have another aneurysm I still believe I would choose the clipping surgery over coiling. But, of course this would have to be a decision that you make. I would get as much information from your surgeon at the appointment on Friday and make a very informed and prayerful decision.

Carol

I have been seeing who does coiling. He ordered an angio then met with neurosurg team to discuss my best option. The team came to the conclusion that in my case the two surgeons performing either surgery have same risk percentage only difference being possibility of coils needing to be redone.