Coiled on 5/21 and had rupture of pseudoaneurysm in femoral artery

Hey everyone! I had my Annie coiled on 5/21 and it turns out I didn’t need a stent, which was great, they used a balloon assist to place the coils. I was supposed to be discharged from the hospital on 5/22 and that morning I had some serious pain in my groin from the angiogram. Within 5 minutes of the doc removing the angioseal there was excruciating pain and 10 people in my room frantically holding pressure on my leg and keeping me calm with iv meds. It turns out the incision in the femoral artery developed a pseudoaneurysm and burst open bleeding into my leg. It took a good whike to get the bleeding to stop. The pseudo did close up on it’s own the next day so I didn’t need to have any treatment, thank god. But it has caused haematomas, massive bruising, extreme pain, and blood buildup. Docs say it will take a while until I feel better. I’m glad I went with my gut feeling and told them how I felt about the pain because if I would’ve went home I would’ve bleed to death. I was on plavix and aspirin due to the stent that was supposed to be placed. The coiling has only caused me headaches, dizziness, mild blurry vision, and seeing cartoonish spots. Did anyone else have any of this happen to them? They say it rarely happens. I’m just worried it will burst open again or when I have to get another angiogram in 6 months if it will happen again. Thanks in advance everyone!

hi jenny! awesome ty so much for the update, noooo it will not burst, think positive and take care~~~

Yes...this happened to me...and I not only had that bleed, but bleed from the back of my throat...I was put in Neuro ICU for 11 days...and watched closely...it has been three years ... but yes it will take much rest and taking care of YOU to heal... Yes to the headaches and dizzy and blurry vision...however, if anything seems not right...seek medical attention right away...~ Thoughts out to you ~ Colleen

Hello! I had this happen as well after my second angio. They had to go in and surgically repair the psuedo-aneurysm. My first angio left a bruise about the size of a water melon. ( I am am not joking). So needless to say when it was time for angio #3, I was PARANOID!. But the procedure went smoothly and not even a hint of a bruise or anything else. Getting set for #4 next week. Its all in His hands. I think being further away from the initial trauma date has something to do with bruising less and healing better.

By cartoonish spots, do you mean floaters? I have had these to some extent since childhood but they got SO much worse after my annie. I was told to think of your head like a snowglobe. Its been dormant on a shelf all year but at xmas you grab it and give it a good shake which gets the snow flying. Trauma to the brain can have the same affect on your eyes. More spots floating randomly about and some blurry vision as things try to settle. I hope this makes sense.

Every day is both a blessed gift and a struggle. I wish you well.

Debbie

I still have ton of pain from the pseudoaneurysm. Possibly nerve damage or compartment syndrome. I have mri’s of my lumbar spine and of my right leg from groin to knee next week, as well as an emg test September 9th. Such sever pain I sometimes get so overwhelmed all I can do is cry. I’m on pain meds for 3 months now and a nerve pain medication which they both don’t seen to be working well. Not to mention the surgery seemed to cause a flare up of my fibromyalgia, so I had to start the medication for that too. I also have high anixiety which I take lexapro for. I just want it all to go away. I’m due for another angiogram in November and I’m scared to death!!

Just answered your new post Jenny and shared your post with the members on this site...I must tell you I so understand your high anxiety, but you need to let your Doctors know how scared you are to have angiogram due to what has happened to you with the last one...they should be able to help...~ Colleen