Clipping: Recovery Advice

Hi All,

Two weeks from today I go in to have my other 4mm aneurysm clipped. It's an odd, rectangular shape, so coiling wasn't the most durable option in my case.

The Dr. has already discussed where the incision on my skull will be made and that I'd only be having a 2-3" circular area shaved and opened up, but beyond that, I'm not sure what I should be doing to alleviate discomfort around the incision area.

I've read some people complain about itching. What is a good, non-drying treatment for itching. And is the itching only due to the shaved hair, or is it normal for healing?

My hair is already cut around chin-length, so I won't have oodles of hair around the incision to deal with, but how soon after a clipping procedure can you safely wash your hair?

Which pain meds were most successful for assisting with pain? I usually only take Tylenol or Excedrin. I find vicadin makes me too constipated so i don't like to take that unless it's absolutely necessary.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the coming weeks!

Thanks in advance.

Heidi

Hi Heidi,

I had a craniotomy 8 weeks ago and I feel fine. I have a slightly itchy scalp occasionally but it is not at all serious. My wound was healed completely weeks ago and I started washing my hair with my usual shampoo while still in hospital. I was in hospital for 10 days, this was a bit longer than expected as I had a few days of nausea, probably due to the Endone - very efficient pain relief but famous for nausea. My doctor then changed me to Paracetamol and/or anti-inflammatory which worked well.

The amount of eye and facial swelling was surprising - I looked like I had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, but that subsided after a week or so. Also surprising was the numbness - initially I couldn't feel my nose, ear, face and I couldn't move my eyebrow etc. Gradually feeling returned and I now just have numb patches high on the scalp which I am sure will improve too. I still have some spots that are just a little sore to touch, like near the temple, but it is hardly anything and I have not needed any pain relief since about week 3. Of course fatigue was an issue but it is improving daily.

I wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

regards

Julie

Hi Heidi,

I had a 4mm aneurysm clipped a year ago, November 20th. I went off my pain medication two days later and needed nothing. I remember a slight itching every once in a while but I just scratched it a little and it subsided. I was able to hide my scar with a side part and my bangs. (half of them were shaved off but I could do a pretty good comb over.

Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Bonnie