Brain coiling: Is it safe to travel to Colorado/high altitudes

Hi Judi

Thanks for opening this discussion, I have been curious about flying as well. I had a clipping done in 2007 with monitoring of 2 other small ones. I did not fly in 2007 & there was no change in my aneurysms when they were checked a year later, however I did fly several times from 2008-2013 & there was a big enough change to warrant a coiling of one & another small aneurysm had developed.I am not sure if there is a connection between the 2 or not however I flew again last year & so I am anxiously awaiting this years appointment in Oct. to see if there as been any changes.Has anyone else noticed a connection between flying & changing of their aneurysms?

Thanks Judi & have a great vacation. I should add that when I did fly I had no problems with pain or discomfort.

Marg

I’m still afraid to fly and travel, two years after my clipping…but that’s just me being nervous. What I will do when I finally travel, is have the name of a hospital and physician that I can call there, if I have any major problems. My neurosurgeon says he “knows someone everywhere” and will give me the contact info when I’m ready to go and decide where.

I've wondered what the precautions are about coiling, stints and shunts that they "installed" in my head.. if they told me, it was during the time I was not holding on to much in memory. I have searched on various websites (medical centers e.g. Mayo, Cleveland, etc.) and have not found warnings, but not surprising as that is probably patient and case specific. I have not seen it in documents or discussion in online groups, that I recall anyway. Best wishes on your trip, keep us posted!!

Aleve is a medication that is available over the counter. It is a drug that contains naproxin.

Most people take it for pain due to inflammation or for arthritis pain.

I have Flown once and was scared to death, however did remarkabley well, and I have 6 coils inserted due to a Large Ruptured PICA Aneurysm I also have a VP Shunt.

Mine was coiled in Oct 2011 and I am flying to Europe next month - my first flight since the coiling. I am glad to hear that others have flown without issue because I have been wondering!

I do not have coiling, but I do have clipping, and I had a brain rupture in August of 2012. I never travel after my surgery until August of 2014 in which I took a trip from New York to Jamaica. I went for two weeks; there was no problem going, but on the flight back, I was terrified; I felt like my head was leaving my body. I practically passed out; I held on to the hand of a fellow passenger for dear life, that happened on taking off. I was so thankful to my fellow passenger for being there for me. Although, after the plane settled I felt better, I do not think I'll be taking a plane ride anytime soon. I was scared out of my mind, and the saddest part is that I was traveling by myself. Although, the doctor told me that it was okay to fly, he had no control over what happened. Each person body responds differently to things, so we cannot say how you will feel. All I can say is that I wish you all the best, and take care of yourself.

Hi, Judi -- had my first coiling done in 2012, followed by repair jobs with stents and more coils in 2014. I've been to CO, NYC, and Europe since on multiple trips and have never had any problem at all. It's the fear of a potential problem that caused the first headache! You'll be fine -- especially if you already are right now, which is what it sounds like!

Good luck!

I have 17 coils and a stent since 2011, with one still being watched, I have flown many times with no issues. I was told by my Doc that the only thing I need to look out for is anything with a strong G-force, like fast rollercoasters, fast speedboats, ect. and all of that fun stuff! Flying is fine. The cabins are pressurized. Have fun on your trip, CO is beautiful!!!!

Hi - since you have clipping like I do, can you tell me what the issue was on your flight home from Jamaica? Was it pain? Dizziness? A panic attack?

Thanks, Jen

lornad said:

I do not have coiling, but I do have clipping, and I had a brain rupture in August of 2012. I never travel after my surgery until August of 2014 in which I took a trip from New York to Jamaica. I went for two weeks; there was no problem going, but on the flight back, I was terrified; I felt like my head was leaving my body. I practically passed out; I held on to the hand of a fellow passenger for dear life, that happened on taking off. I was so thankful to my fellow passenger for being there for me. Although, after the plane settled I felt better, I do not think I'll be taking a plane ride anytime soon. I was scared out of my mind, and the saddest part is that I was traveling by myself. Although, the doctor told me that it was okay to fly, he had no control over what happened. Each person body responds differently to things, so we cannot say how you will feel. All I can say is that I wish you all the best, and take care of yourself.

I had my aneurysm clipped with four clips and have flown a few times now. No problems.

I was told not to got through the x-ray machine and have a medical alert card. TSA has been very nice and I just ask for a pat down.

No problems at all with flying. Hope you have a nice trip.

Hi,

I live in Denver and travel to the mountains often have flown to San Diego and back as well . I have not noticed any changes due to the altitude ...but as you know, we are all individuals and have different experiences.

I love Durango, have you been there before?

I had 32 coils inserted into one aneurysm 3/29/12. I have not flow to any high altitudes but I have made a number of bi-coastal trips. Does anyone know of another person who has had as many coils in one aneurysm? I am anxious to know of anyone else and potential issues that I need to watch out for.

Good luck on the flight.

Dancer

Hi

There is no problem with flying in a commercial pressure regulated aircraft, which all commercial airlines comply with, so no worries at all!

I have 2 coiled and stented and fly regularly, I also have 3 others untreated!

Chill and enjoy your trip.

Best Regards

Martinc

I have flown to and fro between Spain and England several times since my ruptured aneurysm was coiled in early 2011, with no problems, my doctor told me it was fine; but I don't have any unruptured ones so, as you say, you had better check with your own doctor just to be sure.

Juliana said:

I had my aneurysm clipped with four clips and have flown a few times now. No problems.

I was told not to got through the x-ray machine and have a medical alert card. TSA has been very nice and I just ask for a pat down.

No problems at all with flying. Hope you have a nice trip.

Did they say why no x-ray ?? Is this something none of us should do?

I have 1 coiled and ped stent and 1 nontreated… Dr advised ok to do anything including fly and i have had no problems flying:) if still uneasy double check with dr:)

I'm just checking back in, because I'm going back and forth doing other things. Getting back on the plane, I felt nothing out of the ordinary; I was just happy to be coming home. As the plane kept picking up altitude, I just felt like I was losing my head. I think that if it gone on longer, I would have passed out. This was my first time flying after surgery. I thought to myself that maybe if I had taken like a month or so to get back on a plane, it might not have affected me that way. I'm really happy for everyone, who are good at flying, and I do wish them continued success, but I'm just not ready for that right now. Thank you for asking.

Jennifer said:

Hi - since you have clipping like I do, can you tell me what the issue was on your flight home from Jamaica? Was it pain? Dizziness? A panic attack?

Thanks, Jen

lornad said:

Hi Judi
I have two annies one was coiled a year ago in Feb and the other one was found on March 6th
I just flew to cancun Mexico. We were suppose to fly to Las Vegas but I was afraid of the 9 hr flight so my husbend and our friends decided to fly to Mexico it was a 2hrs flight and I had no complaints I took anxiety meds (xanex)just to keep calm because I felt a bit anxious that help alot. I enjoyed our trip and wasn’t ready to come home. So go enjoy your trip it well worth it

Good afternoon Judi:

I'm Miguel Rodríguez, from Veracruz, Mex.

I had a brain aneurysm and I had an clip procedure the 7th September 2011 in Mexico City; I spent almost 1 month at the Hospital, until they gave me the aproval for going back to my home in Veracruz. So I took the flight to come back to Veracruz without any problema, so, I share this as a testimony of my own experience. I think there is no problema that you make your trip; for being sure, just ask to your own Doctor.

My best wishes.

Miguel Rodríguez S.