Brain coiling: Is it safe to travel to Colorado/high altitudes

Hi Everyone,

I have an upcoming trip planned to Durango, Colorado and I'm wondering if it's safe to travel to higher altitudes with brain aneurysms that have been coiled? I'll also follow up with my doctor's office, but wondered if any of you have had a similar question or concern. I have 3 aneurysms, two were coiled in July 2013, the other is quite small and only being watched. I've been so fortunate to not have any cognitive or behavioral changes from any of brain aneurysms including the one that bled.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Judi

Hi Judi!
Your trip sounds fun! I understand your concerns. I flew to FL and back eight months after my aneurysm and coiling procedure. I didn’t have any issues at all. I hope you enjoy your trip and all goes well!
Kris

Hi,

My Neurologist told me flying was safe, but that you may feel some pain/pressure during take off and landing. So far, I have only had some mild pain on one of the twelve flights I have taken whilst with coils. Hope this helps, I'm sure you will be fine, but best to check with your Neuro - your case may be different to mine. Good luck xxx

Hi Judy, I had coils, PED (stent) and a small one being watched since 2/5/13. I have flown across the country from VA to CA and to Puerto Rico twice. No problems at all. I have more travel scheduled over the next few months. Dr told me to live life as normal, so I’m doing just that :slight_smile: good luck.

Hi Judi,

I had my annie coiled in July of 2013 too :) 2 months ago I had a cruise planned and that I meant I had to fly from CT to FL. I actually forgot I had the coiling done until I got to the airport! I thought OH NO! I didn't ask my neurologist if it was ok to fly and I didn't know if I would get past the metal detector. I instantly panicked! Well, everything turned out just fine! The metal detector did not go off and the plane ride was fine. I felt a TINY amount of pressure in my head at one point where my annie was but it was SO MINOR and it last a few seconds. It may or may not even been related to my coiling or annie but it was something I took note of. If it makes you feel better, give a call to your dr, but I had no trouble and I ended up having a great vacation. On the way back I didn't feel the pressure so maybe it was a fluke thing or I was being extra paranoid since I didn't know if it was safe or not at the time.

Have a great trip!

Jen

Judi,

My wife had her aneurysm coiled in April 2013. Last summer (August 2014) we flew from the east coast to San Francisco and then spent vacation time in Yosemite. While there we hiked Clouds Rest with an elevation of close to 10,000 feet. My wife did not experience any issues other than normal initial high altitude symptoms. Good luck to you!

Rob

I fly into Colorado all the time and I've never had any problems. I also ski at high altitudes and all is good. Had my coiling in 2010.

Had coiling in May 2007. Since four of my grandchildren live out of town, two in Colorado, and two in NJ, I have flown several time since then. Absolutely no problem. It's true, the metal detector did not go off for that, but it did for my knee and shoulder, both have been replaced. I always tell the TSA people that I am going to beep. I get wanded every time I fly. I want to be safe, but sometimes it is annoying.

Judi,

Hey, we share the same name which isn't very common, let alone both with coils. I had coils and a stunt placed in the end of 2008/beginning of 2009. Flew to Vegas in March that same year and although I was still recovering, we switched planes in Colorado and it wasn't a major problem. I have since flown twice and both times were not a problem. I can feel the pressure sometimes, but nothing where I needed to take aleve. Chewing gum helped a great deal, relax and have fun!!

Hi Judi,

Last month I flew to Denver for my brother's wedding. Everything went fine. I chewed gum during take off and landing. I listened to my body and rested when I needed to. I was worried about the altitude too and getting altitude sickness, but that didn't happen. Just take it easy and listen to yourself.

Rachel

The stuffed sopapilla at Gazpacho on main street in Durango is fabulous. Don't miss it. Taking the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad to silverton is a tremendous experience, but be aware it can be pretty jerky. If you have time don't miss Mesa Verde National Park. Durango is only 6500ft (I live at more) but some of the surrounding area is much more. So long as you drink LOTS of water and stay well rested, you shouldn't have any problems. The Carver brewing Co or Enos bar are both great place to relax. Its been a while since I've spent a lot of time in the area so I'm sure there are new hot spots. Generally we hang in the four corners (Moab) area four wheeling at the Easter Jeep Rally If you have time those national parks are also incredible if you like the Dessert. Its worth a day.

Have a great trip.

I had mine cooked in 2009 have a small one being monitored due for three yearly check in June my Nero consultant told me no flying or bungee jumping so am I safe to do so and what’s aleve ?

COiled sorry this phone

I had a ruptured aneurysm coiled in 2008. From 2010 to 2014 I flew to Salt Lake City UT from NYC probably 18 times on business. Since I'm sure you NEVER want to have another headache again in your life :) you should know that the altitude change (Durango is pretty high ) can cause headaches and fatigue in a lot of folks (and they don't have our history).

Chew gum on the plane.

And I do what mountain climbers do...

I take Advil for a few days before leaving to thin the blood; I drink a lot of water before and after arrival. I switch to baby aspirin for a day or two on arrival and I wait a week before I have any alcohol.

Have a good trip.

Mary

I have 2 coils and have flown more times than I can count but that is just me. I suggest talking to your doctor if possible and take his/her advice but honestly my experience and gut tells me you are good to go so have a great time, god knows you deserve it

I had my ruptured Annie coiled May 2014. Was concerned about going to our cabin which is at 7100’. Asked neurologists she said it was fine. No effects other than being tired. Sometimes I feel like I could be getting a little carsick which I never had before the rupture. Not sure if that’s altitude, winding roads, chemo, or residual effects of rupture/coiling…

Judi,

I had a ruptured Brain Aneursym that was coiled in Feb 2012.....I flew to Denver in Dec 2012 and to Portland OR last christmas .....I had no problems! Marjie

I had mine coiled seven months ago and have since traveled by plane twice with no problems at all. I used to live in CO! Make sure you drink more water than you think you should -to avoid high altitude sickness… Water with electrolytes is good. I hope all goes well for you! Have fun!

Dear Judi,

I think all of us had the same concerns, whether we had coils or clipping. (I had clipping) but I have flown several times, without any negative effects. So I would say you will or would be all right. Of course you will want to hear from people who had coiling. All the best.

David Andrus, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

My husband has one coiled and one unruptered... He flies constantly for his job. He has never had any problems and enjoys his trips. Good luck!