Flying overseas

My coil and PED was in October 2015

I have airline tickets to fly from Austin to Nuernberg Germany to visit my

92 year old mother. She does not know that I had the procedure done, it only would

upset her. I visit twice a year once in the spring and over Thanksgiving holidays.

Now I have serious doubts regarding the bright lights, lots of folks traveling

and the compressed air in the plane. Will I be ok?

Has anyone had experience with flying, please let me know

Thanks for all your help

Hi Christa,

Wow that sounds like a fun trip to go on..I would ask your doctor or who did your surgery...I was cliped and my Neurologist doctor told me that I would never be able to fly.

He said that altatude would bother me and not to try it...I've also have read others on here being fine with it, so I would go on what your doctor says.....

Hi,

I would get a second opinion. Since I travel extensively overseas for my work, I asked four highly respected neurosurgeons about flying and about traveling to high altitudes with a clipping. All said there are no problems as long as some time passed after my operation. I have also researched the question and have not found any information to contradict what the neurosurgeons have said. Based on all guidance, I don't have any concerns about flying.

Hope this is helpful, Michele

I had 2 aneurysms clipped on June 30th and flew to Paris on Sept 7 this year. My nuerosurgeon said I was good to go after 6 weeks post op. My husband and I had a great 18 day vacation and went to Amsterdam, cruise down the Rhine and visited towns in Germany, France ans Switzerland. Be cautious but not afraid to live life

Christa - what a wonderful gift to give yourself! I flew the first time early this year, just a short hop from NC to DC after rupture in Nov 2013 and second aneurysm found and coiled in June 2014. I had no problems other than all the people and lights. I did have assistance request so I wouldn’t get confused on where to go and the flights were mostly uneventful. Also we paid the exorbitant price for straight flights, no layovers. It was to avoid the bigger airports like ATL or OHare or NY.

I wear sunglasses all the time to deal with lights. In March, my Neurosurgeon even said I could try hang gliding, but it rained. You’ve gotten great suggestions here - ask your doctor. I even ask my doctor to explain why she doesn’t want me to do something. Well we’ve known each other so long, she just tells me…basically I can try anything if I’m comfortable. Do you have the luxury of flying with someone?