Are my 30 seconds stabbing eye pains related to my BA

Hi. I’m new to the group so please forgive if I don’t use correct terminology or abréviations. I have been diagnosed with a 5mm intercavernous carotid aneurysm found after my mum and aunty so deeply sadly passed away from ruptured aneurysms. Over the last 2 months I have been getting severe stabbing pains behind or above either eye lasting 10-30 seconds and I wouldn’t exactly say visual disturbances but having the feeling that I’m moving when I’m not. I worry my family have the feeling that there is always something wrong with me so don’t really want to go to the Gp inorder to avoid scans ect so my family dont judge me negatively. Has anybody else experienced similar pains?

Welcome again Rebecca! Never worry about using the correct terminology or abbreviations, if we need clarification we will ask.

Stabbing eye pains can mean a lot of things, I get them when it’s allergy season or I’ve not put safety glasses on and a piece of sawdust gets in my eye or tired or it can be the occasional (used to be often) cluster migraine. I’ve got this glass eye wash that I rinse my eyes with or I use otc eye drops. I also have to use eye drops every day that my ophthalmologist prescribed. If it’s a migraine, I use a cool cloth on the back of my neck and if it’s allergies I will use a cool cloth over my eyes just like my allergist taught me. Oh and did I mention stress? Stress can cause some weird things to happen to our bodies.

Whilst we would all want our families to be supportive, sometimes it doesn’t happen. I would recommend you see your GP (in the States we now call them PCP for Primary Care Physician, I’m not sure when we stopped using General Practitioner but before that they were called Family Doctors because their degree would say Family Medicine). Hopefully your GP will already know about your mum and your aneurysm so they’re more careful in their diagnosis. If you can see an ophthalmologist that may be a good place to start as well. Always let any doctor or medical professional you see know about your aneurysm.

Many members here have learned they must self advocate for proper treatment and I believe it’s the same no matter which country you reside in. Though it may just be a bit more difficult in countries where the country provides health care like the UK or Canada. In the USA, it’s only difficult if the health insurance provider doesn’t think one needs something so a doctor has to explain why.