A Caregiver’s Journey

Thank you. I just felt that, now that he is able to use the voice that he struggled to regain, it was important for me to not “Are you sure” his every move. Throughout this journey, when he was unconscious in ICU for 3 1/2 weeks, I was Dan’s voice. To his family, on my Facebook page in my daily “love messages/updates”, to my family. Once he started " whisper talking" post extubation, I always asked him to “honey, I didn’t catch that, so you are on Mars, want to tell me about it?” To the time he answered the phone, “This is Daniel Leinad, CSI”. Mind you, I did respond, laughing, " Honey, come on, I know it’s you…" until I realized he wasn’t playing around. In his reality he was solving the crime of the car accident that caused him to be in the hospital. I followed his reality. Sadly,after that call ended, with our regular “I love yous” he had a breakdown where he had to be put into restraints because he was “trying to find my body in the wreckage.” I sobbed after the morning nurse told me this. But it didn’t stop me from always advocating for him when he was unable to. It caused much strife with his Mother, who had her own agenda, not wanting to respect the wishes that I knew he’d want/not want. That didn’t stop my stubborn Irish Italian a$$! The more cognizant he became, the more I had to discern between what were hallucinations of my mother’s husband sitting in his room staring at him creepily (he’s a very bad man whom I’d never allow near any of us with a 10 foot pole…don’t f with this Momma Bear) and not tell him he didn’t see/hear certain things, but to ride his wave with him in tandem. When he finally was able to understand things, he had a lot of questions. Luckily the OCD writer in me was able to draw from my notes and letters and texts to him to fill in gaps. I didn’t do it all at once, but bit by bit, as he was able to process the information. The other day he was talking with a nice woman who was helping him with his SSI application. She needed Dr names but the discharge summary from the hospital was laacking and he couldn’t access his Patient Portal at that time. So I grabbed my notebooks which were filled with dates, procedures, Drs, nurses (day and night, for my Thank You cards), medical terms that were explained to me, Case Managers…I was able to provide over 10 medical team members for her to look up, both helping her and giving her hours of nonstop “fun”. In conclusion, since Dan has been home, I have watched him intently go up our stairs with his cane once, watched him get in the shower to use the shower chair we chose (and stayed in the bedroom until he was done), once and the rest, I’ve waited for his " post new activity update" once he got comfortable in his spot on the couch. He has always been extremely independant and used to getting up and doing what he wants when he wants. While in the hospital, I had offered to help him shave, knowing how much he hates facial hair, and he was insistant on getting up, standing in front of the mirror to do it like he always did. I did my best to empower without deflating him and responded “Honey, right now you don’t have the strength in your legs and core to allow you to stand. How about I ask a nurse to get some towels so we can prop you up and you can do it yourself in bed. He wasn’t having that. I followed his lead because he was adamant and in our 15 years together I learned that Dan does his things his way. I have always respected that and though circumstances changed, my respect did not. He hated the alarm bed in rehab, not being able to use the bathroom on his own or being able to shower every day (he sometimes had to go days before showering became part of his therapy), so, being home all I needed was to watch him stretch his broken but mending wings at work, and him navigating his routine, adjusting lots, just once with my loving, caring (never motherly) " If you need anything, just call me,” knowing that he’d work it out for himself first.

Oh my gosh! I wrote a novel. You can tell that I’m still in processing and sharing newbie mode, oversharing wherever I can. My apologies for going so off topic. Your comment struck a cord in my heart that resonated this whole time. Giving our loved one autonomy and respect. My beloved husband is no “helpless child” as his Mother has practically referred to him as. He’ s a beautiful, vibrant, productive, ABLE and valuable man. I tell him this all the time when he gets down on himself, saying he’s “stupid” and berates his brain. I tell him that it’ s going to take time until he can do things he wants more independantly, but it will happen and that I’m not leaving his side (well, except when he needs to go to the bathroom…oh my gosh, I just used humor for the first time in months!)

OK, I’m going to stop… Thank you if you’ve made it this far or if you need to move this soliloquy to. another more appropriate section.

I did move it Ms. Kim, thank you. I think you should write a book with Dan! No need to apologize for writing too much, I have that same practice I think, okay I know…

Please tell Mr. Dan, I totally relate to the needs of a proper shower! I was in NSICU for 26 days and I begged my Neurosurgeon for a shower around week 3. She said I could, but the CNA said there wasn’t one. Of course there was, it was right across the hall from the locked doors to the unit! When I told her the next time I was awake, Dr. Q-W wasn’t happy. I wasn’t happy with the Aide. The Aide washed my hair in Herbal Essence, of which I’m allergic to. I told her not to wash it the first time and she did anyways. When BH came in right afterwards, boy was there a bit of Creek/German/etc temper flying. So a shot of Benadryl in my IV was ordered. The second time, I told her no, she said she liked the smell better than the hospital shampoo. It’s really difficult to physical stop someone with all those IVs and no ability to sit up. BH came in and one would have thought BH was the sailor and not me. Then the day they tried to put the central and A-lines in, my wonderful RN, Flora Shaw, bribed me. They all laughed and praised me when I said a 4 letter word my mother would have slapped my mouth and put jalapeño juice on my lips for saying LOL. Flora, always true to her word, gave me a “proper” bath in the bed! She washed my air and rinsed it with gallons of hot water. When she came back from lunch, she brought me a plate of tapanyaki steak and white rice!

I am putting my daily Facebook posts into my Google Docs. In 3+ months I have 30+ pages! Friends have suggested I write one too! I’m a published Children’s author, maybe it’s time to add grown ups to my readership. Thank you!

Dan was “bathed” daily while in the hospital for his 2+ month stay, but not cognizant to realize the absolute need to shower. I just repeatedly suggested to his nurses that if they could scrounge up a razer and use it, they’d have a much more cooperative (not pulling tubes out and requiring mitts) Dan. It took a lot of gentle nudging but they finally got that snow white beard and moustache off that he was constantly pulling at (that aged my sweet, young at heart, but, unfortunately not body husband of 10 years this August) giving him back his cute baby face. When he had to get the shunt put in, the Dr told me that only a very small patch of his hair would be shaved. Well our definitions of “very small” were vastly different. They also butchered the back of his beautiful hair! I know that he could care less but I was hopping mad! I can’t believe your people used a shampoo you were allergic to! That’s inhumane. Pardon my French but f her and what pleased her nose. You were her priority, not her damn nose! I talked to all of Dans nurses and Drs but unfortunately couldn’t actually meet all because I was only able to get to him twice a week. I was home alone with our 2 precious pups and my physical disability and plethora of MH issues, including agoraphobia, which got " cured" mighty fast. I had to arrange friends to stay with our babies each time plus, since I don’t drive either, I got to use uber for the first time at age 54 1/2! I dealt with the guilt of not being able to be there more pretty well, with lots of counsel from my therapist, brother and good friends that I actually reached out to and whose help I actually accepted (another breakthrough for Kim). When Dan got to rehab there was a shower in his room but he always had to be supervised as he was using a walker, just finally building up leg and core strength in PT. I am not a jealous woman but more strange women saw my husband naked than I have in our 15 years together in his hospital and rehab time. When I was finally able to share things with him, and told him that, he laughed at me, which was not the reaction an insecure, hyper emotional girl wants to hear. It took until Dans last 2 days in rehab for them to clear him to be able to shower alone (I’d brought all of his toiletries from home). He was both pissed that it took so long and happy to have the autonomy. He didn’t get tapanyaki steak though! I’m glad you did. After your ordeal, you sure earned your wings and stripes!!

I’d have laughed right along with Dan! I did get what we used to call a hospital bath every night by my wonderful RNs both males and females. Do they still call it that? The RNs would use a wash cloth instead of those wipes where they could. My entire torso and both arms looked like someone beat me with a baseball bat.

We have learned that a rupture sure changes the way we view life, what’s important and what’s not. It also has us being challenged with our various personal issues and habits. My Neurosurgeon says it’s my stubbornness and independent nature that has gotten me this far, so I’m sure Dan will recover quite nicely. His hair has probably grown back by now, its in my unimportant list of things as it always grows😂

1 Like

Dan could care less about his hair…as long as it’s out of his eyes. And, it is…on one side!:joy:. I offered to try to be Ms. Vidal Sassooness and do the other side, giving him a mohawk of sorts. His timing for sure.

1 Like