Post Anurysum Clipping Side Affects

I’ve just passed my 6 month anniversary after successful clipping of a ruptured Anurysum. Apart from the Mental fatigue and tiredness, I still suffer from daily dull headaches, occasional neck ache, and sore jaw. Is this normal with recovery at this point in time? I know we all are different, but was wondering what side affects other survivors have. I did go back to hospital over the new year to have it check via CT and everything was good. Thank you.

Gerry, can’t answer for clipping as I was coiled, headaches used to be the norm for me as was a stiff neck and back. Laid in ICU too long I guess lol. So glad the CT scan was positive for you!

Dear Gerry,

Although my aneurysm was discovered before it could rupture, I still had to recover from the clipping surgery. It ruptured during surgery. It took a long time to get back to my old self - almost two years. But it is now over 16 years since my surgery, and I am fine. I see that many people that have had coiling, have had problems, so just be confident that you had the more permanent solution of clipping. God bless you, and know that you will soon be fine, and that the future is bright for you. I had surgery when I was 58, now I am 75.

2 Likes

Gerry.
You may still get headaches as my surgeon told me that you could get cranial pain aches, especially as all the nerves are trying to knit back together.
Oh just one more thing when you go out in cold weather make sure you wear a hat because the cold air can sometimes make you feel pain.
As you did I went back to hospital to have a CT because of the pain but everything was fine.
It just takes time unfortunately.
Take care

1 Like

Gerry, I am 5.5 years after my clipping and yes it is very normal, I still have an occasional dull headache. But I am doing well with no restrictions, the hardest part that I went through was the mental but you can do it, my hardest thing to control was my blood pressure but after the doctors figures that out I started felling great again. Good luck, the hardest part is over.

Best wishes

Will

I am a 5 yr survivor with a clamp and we have a section for ones with migraines join us and many who still suffer with the migraines .And as far as tiredness your still new from the surgeryI do still get tired easy .Listen to your body your brain is going to take time to heal.When your tired lay down for just a little while.Prayers to you glad you found this sight great people who will help you get threw this there is medicine that will help ur headaches talk to your dr.I just found out I do have my 3 rd Annie will be checked soon.However after 2 yrs with stage 4 lung cancer I haven’t had the chance to take care if it.Good luck and again Sr.ndong Prayers your way!!

After my clipping; was on a lot of med's; which I guess stopped a lot of the pain I would have felt- but, I did for quite a while; maybe a year +, have weird headaches; I would call them "vibrating" headaches. Always the neurotic, I was constantly at the neuro asking if it was ok; which I guess it was; because 4 years later; I am fine. But, the first year; dull, vibrating type headaches; but, slowly everything improves

Granted its been years, I didnot have any side affects from my clipping.

I had a craniotomy and clipping following a ruptured aneurysm back in 1989. I had severe headaches for the first 5 years or so, they gradually became less frequent and less severe. I think its a natural part of the healing process, I used to get scared in the beginning but I got so used to it. I was 26 when I had the surgery, now I'm a very healthy 53-year old and I have never had any more problems, but I get the occasional headache, usually in the region of the operation site, so its probably a kind of rheumatism. I think you will find it gets easier and better as time goes by, so try not to worry. I work full time and have gone back to university and done 2 Masters and a PhD since my surgery so energy is not a problem!

My clipping was in 2001. I had headaches and an inability to concentrate. These improved greatly over time. Now I hardly notice. It does take time. Hang in there.

I am one year out with no issues now. The jaw pain passed, I never have headaches, the cold doesn’t bother my head, I was back at work and exercising in a month, and feel great. I was 65 when I had the surgery. but I should say that mine was unruptured and that can make a big difference. It sounds like you are doing great for 6 months out.

1 Like

Hi Gerry,

I too am about 7 months chipping and coiling. No jaw pain anymore. Once in awhile a sharp head pain deep will occur. I have times when I cough then sneeze as if the signals are confused on what to do. Weird. I sure do hope you feel better soon! I know it’s really hard! When I’m feeling ruff, I try to tell myself, you made it this far! It seems to change along the way though. You get rid of some problems and new surprising things come up.

Best wishes to you!
Julie

1 Like

Hi Gerry, I also had a clipped ruptured aneurysm on Nov. 1st, 2013. The jaw pain will eventually subside. My left eye is still a little droopy, but not too noticeable unless I point it out. I still have what I call the "scalp crawl". It's a weird sensation that I get if I almost trip, miss a step or step on the brake fast, things that happen quickly or unexpectedly. It only lasts a couple seconds, but it feels like electricity across the top of my head. I still don't like loud noises/voices. I no longer have the headaches, but did have them like you. I'm glad your CT scan was normal. Just take it slow and don't try to over do it.

Any kind of brain injury takes time to recover from. Good days, bad days. Eventually you’ll be doing better though. It’s a rough go for awhile and really difficult for others to understand. After all, we look fine now. 6 months is still early in recovery. You’ll get there. Try to focus on other stuff and remember to find the humor in everyday. Laughter is awesome medicine!
Good luck to ya. All will be fine.
Donna

Gerry, I should tell you I had a coiling first that resulted in worsening my aneurysm. 9 months later I had emergency clipping done. I’m 3 1/2 years out from it now. I feel great. I do tire easier now but I try not to let it take charge of me. I don’t complain. I’m just blessed to be alive!

1 Like

Rhonda said:

Hi Gerry, I also had a clipped ruptured aneurysm on Nov. 1st, 2013. The jaw pain will eventually subside. My left eye is still a little droopy, but not too noticeable unless I point it out. I still have what I call the "scalp crawl". It's a weird sensation that I get if I almost trip, miss a step or step on the brake fast, things that happen quickly or unexpectedly. It only lasts a couple seconds, but it feels like electricity across the top of my head. I still don't like loud noises/voices. I no longer have the headaches, but did have them like you. I'm glad your CT scan was normal. Just take it slow and don't try to over do it.

1 Like

Hi Rhonda

The term " scalp crawl" is a perfect way to describe what I feel from time to time. Most if my scalp is still numb on the right side of my head but I get this weird itchy, crawly sensation once in awhile on my scalp. It itches bad but scratching does nothing for it. So, I end up banging inthe area until it stops. Haha I must look ridiculous but ya got to do what you got to do, right? All these little nuisances are a small exchange for having our lives. Good luck to you as you progress in recovery!

I had a ruptured one coiled and unruptured one clipped in March of last year. A third one (on the other side of my head) was clipped in November, and the original ruptured one had a pipeline stent applied in December. So after two craniotomies I have both head aches and what I call skull aches - pain at the operating site. The jaw pain went away after a few months from the March enjoyment, neck pain never did, I still have it, but it is not as bothersome. Still have jaw pain from the Nov operation, and that two is not as bad.

I would think that you jaw pain should go away soon. Mine seemed to be there one day, then no more after about 4 to 5 months. I also think that energy level should improve, but that was so slow with me I had to look back a month or so to realize progress. My wife had put together a journal on my hospital and then at home treatment and recovery. When I feel the need, usually because I’m not pleased with my current state, I read that to see how far I’ve come. I make occasional entries still and that is how I continue to see progress in what I can do, both physically and mentally. It is slow, but it’s the right direction. Keep your chin up and know that it gets better.

Hard to say what is normal as recovery is different in each situation. I had craniotomy and clipping for unruptured aneurysm about 2-1/2 years ago. Never had headaches, but fatigue and difficulty concentrating continue to be an issue. I’m very active, play tennis 3 times a week and am now nearing age 75. So, perhaps the fatigue level and concentration issues are normal! Be patient and consult your doctor with any concerns you have. Good luck!
Chilly Girl

i had one back in 2004 and i never had that except for the neck ache and still get it now.I came out of the hospital with mager depresson and anxiety attacks.I suffer still big time.I take meds for high blood preasure and depresson.I have lost my husband years ago from all this.They say time heals but not with me i struggle each day.I still think back of that awfull day and wish i had of just gone to bed.I would not be in this predicament today. jane all the best to you

i suffer