Craniectomy and Air Travel

Hello everyone! I am really glad that I found this great website. I am a wife of a Subarachnoid Hemorrhage survivor. It will be a one year for us in just a few days :slight_smile:
My husband has had a craniectomy in which a hand size piece of his skull was removed to relieve the pressure. He is yet to have the second procedure that is cranioplasty where they will reconstruct his skull with a titanium plate. It’s been a very long and stressful year for both of us and he would like to travel for a vacation. His neurosurgeon saw him last week and was impressed with how his brain has healed and he confirmed to him that apart from a headache upon take off and landing, he should be alright! But I’m still very concerned ( he also has another aneurysm that’s less than 1 mm). I could not find any other experience of traveling with a craniectomy as most people get craniotomies, so any insight or experience would be really helpful! I am very worried but at the same time would be very grateful if he can travel safely as I haven’t seen him in almost two years!
We’re in a long distance marriage which adds a whole lot of hardship to our situation. I tried so hard to be with him during this difficult time but unfortunately I couldn’t due to some visa issues… it’s just so difficult but I’m so grateful that he fought and is still alive and doing well :slight_smile:

Hi Blessed91,

I am also a ruptured aneurym survivor with SAH. Of course, medical clearance is best from the Neuro-Surgeon which he was cleared. I had my aneurysm coiled so I did not have a craniotomy. However, the SAH damaged my ear. So, when I flew, I had incredible ear pain during takeoff and landing. Now, every time that I fly, I put in ear plugs which help reduce the pain.

Hope the best.

Thank you 2Fight for sharing your experience!
Really glad that you could manage that ear pain, it must have been really annoying. My husband’s situation is quite different as he has a part of his skull missing.

Hello!

My mother had a brain aneurysm that ruptured so she also had the drain in her skull to relive pressure. She also had her other aneurysm clipped. This all happened 7 months ago, and we asked her neurosurgeon about flying since we just went to Florida for our family vacation (we live in New York). She said that my mom would be fine to fly and that she hasn’t ever heard of someone having issues because of her procedure. She said she might get nervous or ears popping more often, but that’s it and she was right! We had a lay over both ways, so 4 flights total and my mom was perfectly fine there and back! We just got home this week!

Hi RMA21

I am really glad that your mother survived and is doing well. Her traveling experience has definitely made me more relieved towards the idea. Thank you so much for your input! Much appreciated.