Treatment for unruptured aneurysm in elderly

My 87 year old mom has a basilar tip 14mm aneurysm which was found accidentally. She is experiencing periodic moderate headaches. Due to her age it is considered high risk to have a coiling or clipping procedure. Does anyone know of an elderly person 80+ years of age who's had success with treatment. My mom is still quite active and except for moderate high blood pressure and some digestive disorders (IBS, Diverticulosis, Gerd) she's in good health. Thanks

Eileen...there is a Group "for those over 60"... end of second page of Groups... hope that may help...

RE:...GI issues...I had extensively post-minimally invasive coiling...and, a decade+ later...and precise diet, etc...I have had limited recovery and a run-around about the causes...Even tho my discharge/transfer record noted "low-acid diet"...and more related to that...Ohhh one...on the med allergies... IODINE...which is 40% of the contrast dye...

This at least will give you data to ask the docs when you see them with your mother...

Another...are the cranial nerves...12 in each hemisphere of our brain...cranial nerve vagus (CN 10) has three branches...one re: oral/back tongue, one to the heart, and one to the GI system... So be sure to include questions and share her status now...w/the doctors...

Thus far, three neurologists have advised that s/he cannot address the GI system...they have not told me if their extensive education blocks those lower branches from their training on cranial nerves...

There are numerous websites on the cranial nerves...

Prayers and wishing for you and your mother success in the doctors' guidance for her decision...and, keeping us updated...

Pat

Pat - got lost in your answer…I believe Eileen is just asking for anyone who knows of anyone in their 80’s who the doctors agreed to do brain surgery on.

Eileen make sure you and your mom fully understand the risk of anesthesia and brain surgery. The older we get, the more difficult it becomes for the doctors and the patients. Is the doctor willing to do the surgery? Can the doctor provide information on exactly what the risks are and how high in percentages those risks are? For instance, my 83 yr old dad was bleeding internally, they didn’t know where. To not do exploratory procedure would have meant he would slowly bleed to death. To do the procedure meant he stood an 80 something percent chance of dying, some high percentage of another stroke, etc. Dad opted for the procedure.

I’d suggest to write all the questions my family and especially mother have down and go see the doctor… Write the doctor’s answers down and repeat it to the doctor for clarification. Seems like when we have to speak to medical professionals, everyone gets lost in their stress. Helps me and my doctor to have a list, be factual and simple in questions and answers. Accept the I don’t knows, there will be many. Luckily if my doctor doesn’t know and I get frustrated, we joke around and come back to it. Sometimes what I understand one day, I might not a few days later. I call the triage nurse and ask her for clarification and write it down again, just in a different more simple way.

Moltroub said:

Pat - got lost in your answer....I believe Eileen is just asking for anyone who knows of anyone in their 80's who the doctors agreed to do brain surgery on.

Eileen make sure you and your mom fully understand the risk of anesthesia and brain surgery. The older we get, the more difficult it becomes for the doctors and the patients. Is the doctor willing to do the surgery? Can the doctor provide information on exactly what the risks are and how high in percentages those risks are? For instance, my 83 yr old dad was bleeding internally, they didn't know where. To not do exploratory procedure would have meant he would slowly bleed to death. To do the procedure meant he stood an 80 something percent chance of dying, some high percentage of another stroke, etc. Dad opted for the procedure.

I'd suggest to write all the questions my family and especially mother have down and go see the doctor.. Write the doctor's answers down and repeat it to the doctor for clarification. Seems like when we have to speak to medical professionals, everyone gets lost in their stress. Helps me and my doctor to have a list, be factual and simple in questions and answers. Accept the I don't knows, there will be many. Luckily if my doctor doesn't know and I get frustrated, we joke around and come back to it. Sometimes what I understand one day, I might not a few days later. I call the triage nurse and ask her for clarification and write it down again, just in a different more simple way.
Many thanks!!