Trapped in a nightmare

Hi

My nightmare started on Sunday morning just gone, 3rd January when I received a phone call from my close friend Johns wife saying he had collapsed at home & had been rushed to A&E. It was also touch & go (critical).

When I got to the hospital in the afternoon, I was met by his wife who took me to the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) located on the second floor. The sight that met my eyes wasn't pretty. He had & still has a loads of tubes & wires coming out of him, including a bandage around his head because he had to have neurosurgery to stop the bleeding from the burst vein in his head. One of the ICU nurses told me on my own that he is critically ill in a deep coma, not medically induced & he still is. She also told me that coma patients might be able to hear. So I'm hoping that he might have heard stuff I've said to him so far.

The sad thing is his wife only gave birth to twins on Friday just gone, 1st January.

Laura

Laura, John can hear you. I firmly believe that. It’s a lot to take in. Perhaps we can help explain some things. It sounds like he had a crainiotomy thus the bandage around his head. You can go to the BAF website and do lots of research, just don’t wear yourself out. The many wires are the five or seven wires to monitor his heart on the EKG. Tubes are probably IV for hydration and medication and he may or may not have a feeding tube.

I can’t imagine John and his wife just having twins. Tell him he needs to get better to help take care of them. I am a little concerned that with such new babies, his wife will want to be visiting John. New mum getting into hospital, through all those illnesses and into an ICU and then back home. Make sure she scrubs well when she leaves and suggest she take a shower and put the clothes in the laundry when she gets home. Those wee ones don’t have much of an immune system yet. Around here, the professionals would say don’t expose the babies to much of anything for their first six weeks.

Give hugs, they are healing IMO. Check in with us for support, ask any questions and we will do the best we can to be supportive.

It is extremely important he knows he has loved ones by his side. My partner and friends were with me for two weeks while I was in ICU after I had a SAH (rupture) November 21, 2014. I was given 50/50 chance to live. I am now back at work after two months of recovery I work for the Federal government and I am a Technical expert. I credit the love from my family, friends, and co-workers for my speedy recovery. Also, I didn't believe in God however when my Annie ruptured while driving home from work I saw that bright light white light and I know now it was God but it wasn't my time. Everyday I am thankful for all the support I got. Talk to him and tell him he is in my prayers starting right now. Caroline

Maybe they could set up some sort of skype system so his wife can talk to him and monitor him from home. This way he could hear not only his wife’s voice, but also the sounds of his babies.

Kerrr...you are a magnificent friend to John and his wife...and two babies... You are a blessing to all of them...

Does his wife have family and/or in-laws to help her at home? She may need more help than John...with her emotional impact...Can you talk w/her on needs...(before they hit unexpectedly...from grocery shopping to paying bills? Calling or writing to any other family/friends she wants/needs to contact?

If not...are you able to offer to move in/help his wife...to assure her ability to sleep/rest at some time frame...to get the shopping done...to whatever... that will be quadrupled plus w/two new babies...

A common comment...is initially "most important status of the patient"...and, it is... in the critical care way...we expect to be covered medically...and, the rest is not remembered...until it is "late"...

Hi,

Johns wife has close friends including neighbours & I, helping her with looking after the twins/babies, food shopping & paying bills such as gas & electric etc at this difficult time.

She has been recording sounds such as the babies crying etc & playing the recordings & talking to John because we truely believe now that he can hear us.

We've told him that everyone is praying for him to get better including you guys. Also we would like to thank you guys for your kind words & understanding.

Will keep you posted.

Laura

Kerr...thank you so much...and please do keep us updated...